ForumsThe TavernA Dog's Life! What breed of dog do you like?

52 7829
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I have a chocolate labrodor retreiver and I love this breed because it is nice to everyone and everything. A chocolate labrodor retreiver is my favourite breed of dog.

What is you favourite breed of dog and why?

Here is a quote:

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." Josh Billings(1818-1885)

I think that if you have a dog it brings you great love and enjoyment in your life. I think that people that suffer from depression should get a dog because it will bring them love and enjoyment in there life.

Do you think this quote is true?

Please no spamming. Leave your comment below.

• 52 Replies
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

It seems like most people like big dogs not small dogs. What are some reasons why people prefer big dogs than small dogs or small dogs instead of big dogs?

Keep saying what is your favourite breed of dog! Maybe we can see at the end which dog was the most popular breed!

Zorvex
Zorvex
223 posts
Peasant

My favorate dog is the german shepherd because they are very loyal and dependable and smart and safe around kids and easy to train and fun to play with and they fetch :d

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

What are some reasons why people prefer big dogs than small dogs or small dogs instead of big dogs?

Because of housing problems. Lots of people in China keep smaller designer dogs because they don't have the large houses that many in America have. Also, perhaps because they are not really sure that they would be able to handle large dogs too well.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Okay but smaller dogs always bark so much! But maybe because owner's that have small dogs don't know how to train them.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Small "dogs" bark because they have nothing else to show. They are constantly nervous, and show that by barking always. Of course, this is often due to the owners being idiots and wasn't looking for a dog in the first place, but looking for a pet.
Big dogs for me. Real dogs. Hunting dogs. If it can't put its head on the table in a relaxed position, it's too small. Labs and golden retrievers are on the limit.
And why someone would like bigger dogs? You can actually see them. They are calm, they can be intimidating to strangers, while being the most loyal thing you will ever have in your life, when they bark, it's a real bark, something you will be actually alarmed by, and not just startled and annoyed. They have a better health than the minidoggies, they might get bad habits, but an owner will be more inclined to actually train a big dog than they are a small lapdog. They are not nervous or startled easily, and if they are used to kids, they will let them do anything to them.
And heck, even as pups they are big enough to wrestle and play with, without being afraid that you might break its legs or hurt it, while it won't be able to hurt you either.
Small dogs have small teeth, small sharp teeth, and they don't need to put much pressure on before they draw blood.

All things aside... If someone wants a tiny little shivering dog that has been breed past its usefulness, then go for it. But do the rest of us the favour of not spoiling it so badly that it will go nuts. But I will still keep to the big'uns.

Anyway, onwards.
Fave breed would probably be the Old Danish Pointer or dogs like those. They have a good frame, they aren't giants either, fast. Intelligent expression, amusing colours, good background.
Good behaviour, and if they are trained correctly, they will be the perfect hunting dogs ever imagined, at least when it comes to fowl hunting.
Of course, their tails are often cut to not hurt them when they run through bushes and forests, but it is a bit of the charm, even if some people consider it abuse.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

My favorate dog is the german shepherd because they are very loyal and dependable and smart and safe around kids and easy to train and fun to play with and they fetch :d

Same here. They are also very protective which I like. If you are in danger they will defend you until you are safe or they are dead.

I also agree with everything Cen said. I don't really like small dogs but I can mind them.
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

I like Newfoundlands and Labradors.
Very dependable, loyal, friendly, protective.
My neighbor has a little ****su, oh, I didn't have
to mention its being little, did I?
I walk it sometimes and I don't trust it with strangers.
Some kids asked me if they could pet it and I said no.
That dog tried to bite my brother once. He's so
temperamental. That's why big dogs are better.
More even tempered.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

From what I have heard, big dogs are much more likely to be put down for biting a human or other dogs than small dogs are.
Not because the bigger dogs are more aggressive, but because the small dogs are much more likely to get away with biting people, children even, without getting put down, even if the same thing happened with any other dog, there would no question about it.
Obviously, most dogs only bite if they feel threatened, and putting a dog down for defending itself (that is biting, not horrible maiming) isn't one of humanity's best ideas, but the sheer thought that a small dog, that often is so spoiled and badly trained that it either thinks it can do whatever it likes or has no limits what so ever can get away with growling, barking, snapping and biting, while well mannered and well trained bigger dogs would pay with their life, and would be muzzled if they as much as look at the neighbour's cat wrong... No, I really don't like small dogs. Or rather, I really don't like the crap owners of small dogs, that think they have bought a plush toy and not a living work tool/pet.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I really hate small dogs for the reason Cenere pointed out, they never shut up. They constantly bark at every **** thing that happens. Small dogs are a kind of pathetic breed of animals. If i was to get a dog, I would get a large, non aggressive and defensive, one. There are large dogs who also feel the need to bark at everything, but those are just the one's who want to defend or kill something. I would find a peaceful one. Of course, I probably will never get a dog at any point, I can't stand the need to constantly walk them.

Dylanator
Dylanator
89 posts
Nomad

For me, I will always say Golden Retriever. They are just so loving and kind!

TheFlash6
TheFlash6
83 posts
Nomad

I have a female quarter black lab, quarter mastive, and half german sheperd. Most people think this kind of dog is ugly but it just looks just like a Black lab. It just had puppies and is very active i am to so its my favorite.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

killersup thinks he would be a beagle.....so he could go huntin

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I really hate small dogs for the reason Cenere pointed out, they never shut up. They constantly bark at every **** thing that happens.

Some owner's of small dogs now how to train the small dogs and the small dogs don't bark at all and they are calm.

Cenere has some good points to have a big dog on page 4. What about the small dog owner's here do you have something to say?

Keep on telling me your favourite dog breed we will see which is the most liked and popular. Good breeds everyone!
wolfboystev693
wolfboystev693
31 posts
Farmer

I love Golden Retrievers and Pomerenians, they're really playfull,loving and friendly.
GOTTA LOVE EM!!!

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

German Sheperds,irresistable when their puppies,frightening when there all grown(excuse my misspellings)

Showing 31-45 of 52