ForumsThe TavernThe Cube of Rubik

29 4376
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

So thaboss recently learned how to solve a Rubik's cube. It's that thing that looks like this:
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxBzv0TjFGAsYKCV9d06j2SGOlaf25eXQAZTX44hSzF8RZZm3pWg
His best time is 1:06.

This is just a thread to talk about the cube, when you first got interested in it, fastest time, favorite brand, method of solving it, maybe a good tutorial you found online, just basically anything about it. Or the other kinds. Or FeliksZemdegs. And try not to use too much cube notation without explaining it.

Thaboss uses the beginner method found here. He's starting to do F2L, but intuitively. A friend of his recently bought a 2x2x2, 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. Thaboss is thinking about buying a Dayan ZhanChi. Should he? Anyway...

• 29 Replies
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I get the title.

I have all the different types of cubes, 2x2 to 5x5. I got into solving it a couple years ago then got bored of it and then started solving it again. The best time I could get was maybe a 1:00-1:10. My brother got into a corners first solution of solving the rubik's cube and got 40-45 seconds I think

'hoping the link works'

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

And thaboss to solve gets the white laying cross, then the white corners, then the middle layer, then the top face, then the top corners, then the top edges... Pretty fun. Now he's heading off to cubetimer.com to see if he can beat his record...

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I never learned how to do it. I cannot even do a 2x2. It is harder then it looks. I have friends who are pretty good and one friend who is amazing at it. If you want a link to his profile I can post it.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

I have a rubik too. I haven't solved it yet and it's been six years.
Maybe I haven't been spending much time on it either.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

@daleks. Sure!

Thaboss didn't feel like trying to solve the cube by himself, he just looked it up. It was easier for him.

But he is trying to solve his friends 2x2x2 without any help... It's definitely easier than the 3x3x3.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

I don't have a 2x2x2 cube, but I want one.

I looked op the solution to the 3x3x3 online like all the other people who were too frustrated to solve it by themselves. I actually know two ways to solve it; The layer by layer method (which is what most people use) and the Petrus method. I am currently faster at the layer method. (My fastest time was 0:55).

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Rubix Cube God
There is the link. Just find a video of him doing a cube. He is really good.

Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

I have the 3x3x3 which i have solved so much that i get liek 1:00 to 1:30(my worst and first time bieng couple days....). I would really like to get a 2x2x2 and 5x5x5. My friend is a boss at 2x2x2 and 3x3x3. He solves the 3x3x3 with his eyes closed in under 1:30. The 2x2x2 is even easier for him.

dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

He solves the 3x3x3 with his eyes closed in under 1:30

really? I want to see that. I would believe if you said with one hand but not seeing? That is a little cheezy to me.
42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

My brother is soccerdude2. I can solve the Rubik's Cube in about a 1:10 consistently, and my best time is a stunning 44.34 seconds! I can solve a 2x2 consistently under 30 seconds, a 4x4 consistently under 6 minutes, and a 5x5 consistently under 10 minutes. I know how to solve the 3x3 with the standard easy method but I also learned the ortega "corner's first" method which led to my best time. When I was little me and my brother would scramble the Cube and my dad would solve it (I remember doing this mainly on car rides) but then one day my dad said, "Well guys, I can't solve this one." And every since he couldn't solve it (I don't know if he just wanted us to figure it out or if he truly suddenly just forgot...) and then years later me and my brother got a new Cube and learned how to solve it in about 3rd grade and then during recess at school me and him and my friend would race solving it. And then in 6th grade I got back into it when I went to my cousins' house who knew how to solve a 5x5 and 4x4 and 2x2 as well so I got a 5x5 and learned how to solve it. And then last Christmas I got a 4x4 and a 2x2 and now I can solve both.

Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

killersup10 cannot even get 1 side
killersup10 feels like a falure now

I used to have the same feeling like ((( i can only get 1 side while my friends could get in 1 minute i was all sad face. You'll get it if you try.
42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

When people tell me they can solve one side on their own I consider that the way to know if it is possible for that person to ever learn to solve the Cube or not.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Well this one girl in my theater arts class cheated by removing the little cubes and putting them back in place where all the colors match. She couldn't get the last one in and asked me to give it a try. Me, being quite interested in her and thought that was actually not a bad idea, as far as cheating goes, decided to give it a try to jam it in there. So she has to go on stage to read lines from an upcoming play while I'm sitting there trying so hard to get the little cube to go in (my face probably looked hilarious). Then the kid sitting next to me offered to hold the big cube while I jam the little cube in.

It got in...only it got in wrong, so then we have to borrow a screwdriver from the teacher to pry it out and try again. But by the time we got it out, she had come off the stage and saw me still trying to get the cube in.

After about five more minutes of trying (I was determined to get that cube in), it snapped into place. I had a look of relief and she had a look of 'ohhh snap, he got it in'. Needless to say, I felt like freaking Superman.

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

I can't solve it either killersup...

Also, u said the name as it was said in Night of the Museum 2. When the guy,(i forget his name) showed the dude who chased after him the whole movie the mystical "cube of rubik" XD
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

He solves the 3x3x3 with his eyes closed in under 1:30

really? I want to see that. I would believe if you said with one hand but not seeing? That is a little cheezy to me.

Well, there are Rubik's cubes with "tactile markings," so you CAN solve them with your eyes closed... And there is a world record spot for eyes closed cube solving...

My brother is soccerdude2. I can solve the Rubik's Cube in about a 1:10 consistently, and my best time is a stunning 44.34 seconds! I can solve a 2x2 consistently under 30 seconds, a 4x4 consistently under 6 minutes, and a 5x5 consistently under 10 minutes. I know how to solve the 3x3 with the standard easy method but I also learned the ortega "corner's first" method which led to my best time. When I was little me and my brother would scramble the Cube and my dad would solve it (I remember doing this mainly on car rides) but then one day my dad said, "Well guys, I can't solve this one." And every since he couldn't solve it (I don't know if he just wanted us to figure it out or if he truly suddenly just forgot...) and then years later me and my brother got a new Cube and learned how to solve it in about 3rd grade and then during recess at school me and him and my friend would race solving it. And then in 6th grade I got back into it when I went to my cousins' house who knew how to solve a 5x5 and 4x4 and 2x2 as well so I got a 5x5 and learned how to solve it. And then last Christmas I got a 4x4 and a 2x2 and now I can solve both.

Thaboss kind of wants to learn some new methods now...
Showing 1-15 of 29