ForumsThe TavernBest advice you ever heard

35 4706
JurassicParkfan
JurassicParkfan
33 posts
Nomad

What is the best advice someone has ever given(or you gave someone). Mine is "don't ask me,Google it"

• 35 Replies
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

Dont be hard enough to be broken or soft enough to be molded.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Never say never X)

Ok: Don't give up on life, keep trying until you find the light!

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

love is a circle

when it leaves
it will always come back
always swerving and turning.
for better or for worse
-killersup

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Mine is "don't ask me,Google it"

Which to most people working with information is like saying "don't ask me, smack your face with a rock".
Google is good for quick and dirty searches, but due to it being so easy, it is undermining people's ability to be critical of the sources and having enough patience to actually find a proper answer instead of the first answer.

love is a circle

when it leaves
it will always come back
always swerving and turning.
for better or for worse
-killersup

I would consider love a viscous spiral. Not a circle.
It might come back, but it is never the same. Your first love with be nothing like your second love, or your third love. Losing your first love will paint you bitter of the next love. You trusted someone, loved someone, and then they betrayed you, or the love simply did not last as you expected. You will never be as innocent and trusting of love again, even if you end up finding your one true love or anything. It won't be the same.
It can easily be as good, as fun, as light hearted and wonderful, but it will never be the same.

No, I don't like love much.

Anyway, the best piece of advice I have ever heard? I don't know... But I do have some great sayings I might as well include:

Maybe your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
It is a jaded, pessimistic way of looking at life, but it might very well be true. We are, what, 6, 7 billion people on Earth. We can't all be little unique snowflakes of awesome, inspirations to others, the best of our league. Someone has to be standing in the other end, showing you what not to do.
It doesn't mean that is all you are, it just means you weren't meant for more than average at best.

Everyone lies.
As made famous by the jaded doctor, I do consider that a valid piece of advice to remember. We are social beings, lying is what we do to make others and ourselves happy. It is natural and part of our nature, but it is still worth remembering when you need others' opinions and help. Or if you need to help them, for that matter.
It's not that you shouldn't trust people either because they might be lying to you, it's that you should trust the despite of that. And that is they are lying to you, the chance is that they are doing so to stop you from getting hurt.

There is no such thing as second chances.
I believe I got that from House MD as well. I don't know if it is particularly true, but I do know it is a good way of looking at things. You won't get a second chance at this, so either you have to take the chance or let it go. No reason to look back at it if you got passed over, because that was how it was going to be. No need to be hoping to get a kick at it next time, because there are no second chances.
Even if you do get a second chance, you are most likely not getting a chance at the exact same as you were getting a chance at before. Everything changes, after all, and even a few hours might mean that the situation has changed enough that you would not be in the same position as you were before, or that you would have been in, if you had gotten the chance before.
Besides, there is nothing good in second chances. It is reconsideration, but you were still turned down the first time, you still missed the goal the first time, you still gave up the first time.

Worth considering, at least.
R3LOAD
R3LOAD
531 posts
Peasant

Well this wasn't given to me, it was given to a friend, by another friend. We were in maths revising for the exam tomorrow, and one friend just keeps complaining, 'how do I remember this? Maths is too hard, how am I supposed to take all this in? Someone help me, I;m going to fail, how do I revise well?' Another friend just got pissed off and yelled 'Here's how you can revise well, shut the F**K up and get on with it!!!!'

This one is from Cook in Skins UK, it's pretty good advice for people like me who don't take chances life throws at you.

'Listen, JJ, I do bad things because life throws loads at us, there's things out there that need to be done, you have to get out there mate, do those things, because if you don't you're a pathetic stupid pu**yfart.'

It's more of a quote, but to me, it sounds like advice too.

avenger671
avenger671
63 posts
Nomad

Be careful with the salt shaker.

Eli1010
Eli1010
272 posts
Nomad

Never quit.
I know it's simple, but I havn't quited on anything since.

Be careful with the salt shaker.

lol
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

You should only say good-bye once.

I never say it. Only bye, or see you later, etc.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Best advice I ever heard: The world is harsh. Don't expect favors or love. Seek such things in individuals.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Do not accept a status quo that is not in your favor.

Ghost2486
Ghost2486
29 posts
Nomad

When its a tuesday in december dont ware a plain hat...

Ghost2486
Ghost2486
29 posts
Nomad

Another one is "dont sit next to a tall blond girl in class"-grandma said that.
Another is "Dont pass up a good thing"-dad said that

Finally "Always think things through but dont think to hard" mom said that.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

"Don't be like me- go to school"
-Random Hobos on the street

"Don't think you're the best at what you do. No matter how good you are, there's always a 10 year old Asian that's far better"
-My Dad when I told him I was the best swimmer in my school

"Come with me if you want to live"
-Arnold Schwarzeneger

"Don't argue with fools. If you do, that means they managed to get you down to their level"
-Anonymous

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

When it comes to people who ask why I question god and can still be religious, one of my fave bands gave me a reply to if people ask -

"We don't question god, just those he chose to carry on his cause"
-Anberlin

Some good stuff.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

"Don't argue with fools. If you do, that means they managed to get you down to their level"
-Anonymous

I like the usual addition: "And then they have experience on their side".
It is a fairly good advice, except you might not be aware that someone is foolish before starting a discussion with them. Or worse, that you might very well be the fool in the argument.
Showing 1-15 of 35