ForumsThe TavernDo You Type the "B" Key With Your Right or Left Hand?

42 44049
Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

I noticed that "B" has a pretty equal distance from both the left and right index fingers (if you type with all fingers) and then whenever I come to the "B" key I have to stop and think if I should type it with my left or right hand. I usually end up using my left.

• 42 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I don't think I hit the B button that often. I use my right hand though. Just feels more natural for me.

jkl3848
jkl3848
242 posts
Peasant

I use my left hand.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

I press every button except shift with my left hand.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Wait....you type mainly with just one hand? I know my lit teacher types with a single finger, but he's 63 and grumpy as a hungry feline; thought it was rare though.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I press every button except shift with my left hand.

I really don't see why you would limit yourself to using only one hand when you have two, unless you're using the other one for something more important, like picking your nose, but since you can press shift I'm assuming that isn't the case.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

I really don't see why you would limit yourself to using only one hand when you have two, unless you're using the other one for something more important, like picking your nose, but since you can press shift I'm assuming that isn't the case.

My left hand have memorised all the keys
Cuz I trained it to do so.
Fun fact :-
More words are typed by a left hand than the right hand on a key board.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

More words are typed by a left hand than the right hand on a key board.

how is that?do you have an explenation? i mean, maybe the letters that are more common in words appear on the left side of the keyboard? i doubt there are many words that are typed with the left hand only then right hand since im guessing most words need both hands and sides. or maybe you meant letters?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

For a lowecase b, I type with either based on the word. However, I always type an uppercase B with my right because my left is on shift.

i mean, maybe the letters that are more common in words appear on the left side of the keyboard?

First, each side should be defined as a set of letters as follows:

Left: Q, W, E, R, T, A, S, D, F, Z, X, C, V
Right: Y, U, I, O, P, H, J, K, L, B, N, M, G

Order of Frequency: ETAOINSHRDLCUMWFGYPBVKJXQZ

Of the 7 most common letters, 4 are on the right and 3 are on the left, giving a slight advantage to the right. Of the 7 least common letters, 4 are on the right and 3 are on the left. So far, the sides are balanced. Now for the middle 12:

Ranks 8-13 are these letters: H, R, D, L, C, U

Of these letters, 3 are on the left, and 3 are on the right.

Conclusion: Both sides are balanced, so that is not a reason to type with the left hand instead of the right.
Eli1010
Eli1010
272 posts
Nomad

I type "B" with my right hand because im right handed. I use my right hand more-I use shift with my right hand every time and space I actually use with my left, I just noticed that. lol

Right because it's closer to it soo yea

It's exactly in the middle.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

It's exactly in the middle.

It's on the left side of the middle. The right side contains n m , . /
while the left side contains z x c v b, with a Shift on both sides.
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

Congrats on making a discussion out of this topic. Nice job.

Depends if the letter before b is on the right or left side of the keyboard.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

My keyboard has a 'wave design' similar to the following image, and the b key is shifted more to the left side of the board, so I type it with my left hand.

http://www.photolizer.com/Photo%20Studies/Gadgets/Keyboards/microsoft%20keyboard%20from%20pc%20magazine.jpg

legoman228
legoman228
35 posts
Nomad

depends on which key I am closest to. Usually the right

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Mostly left because I use my mouse. But if I'm with both hands left to because I think it is closest which is just a weird feeling.

shadowranger71344
shadowranger71344
4 posts
Nomad

It depends on what my other hand is typing. But really, i don't think this matters that much ahahah

Showing 16-30 of 42