ForumsThe TavernAre you a human?

29 2962
Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

Yeah this is annoying every time I want to comment a thing tells me 'Are you a human?' and I need to type what it says.

• 29 Replies
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Its good for blocking the adbots and spambots now.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Already a whole thread on this. Seems to be more popular too.

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

Yeah man this **** thing is annoying.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

THE CAPTCHA! IT DOES NOTHING!

I personally would be fine with it, do to the fact that we have had a spambot problem in many of the areas of the forum I sometimes go to, like the WPR forum and the forum games. Bu the thing is it hasn't stopped the only spam bot we have, he just posted again on the WPR forum....

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,487 posts
Blacksmith

I noticed that these aren't helping as well. every time I refresh the page, 2 more of these threads have popped up.

-Blade

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

captcha's seem to help on other sites... hmmmm.... I wonder if the mods are assuming aliases and building the April Fool's prank.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Bu the thing is it hasn't stopped the only spam bot we have, he just posted again on the WPR forum....

There is more than one spambot, though it is possible that all the spambots are programmed by a single person.

captcha's seem to help on other sites... hmmmm.... I wonder if the mods are assuming aliases and building the April Fool's prank.

More people are thinking that the bots are this year's April Fools joke. In 2 days, we shall see if you are correct. In the meantime, we will have to deal with spambots and CAPTCHA.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

While we are making wild theories...

I am assuming that since the test shows that he is, in fact, human, and that CAPTCHA is a respected and known to work system, he must be a human. So we must assume that he is a dedicated and slightly insane typing man who can compose who articles in mere seconds and gets payed pennies per post who has chosen this sight to break havoc on.

We must find a name for him. I think I shalt call him... Senrion.

fracell
fracell
67 posts
Nomad

its funny they put up the re captcha and i all the sudden see more spambots

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

There is more than one spambot, though it is possible that all the spambots are programmed by a single person.

Nope. This sight is to small to have multiple people. It is probably one person.

You see, the mods notice that he is a spam bot so they shut down the character he is. Then, since he is banned, he makes a new character and starts all over. Just one guy.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I am assuming that since the test shows that he is, in fact, human, and that CAPTCHA is a respected and known to work system, he must be a human. So we must assume that he is a dedicated and slightly insane typing man who can compose who articles in mere seconds and gets payed pennies per post who has chosen this sight to break havoc on.

We must find a name for him. I think I shalt call him... Senrion.

Some adbots can beat CAPTCHAs, so the failure of this CAPTCHA does not prove the spammer to be human. However, it is possible (and increasingly theorized) that these adbots are this year's April Fools joke.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]There is more than one spambot, though it is possible that all the spambots are programmed by a single person.

Nope. This sight is to small to have multiple people. It is probably one person.

You see, the mods notice that he is a spam bot so they shut down the character he is. Then, since he is banned, he makes a new character and starts all over. Just one guy.[/quote]

No site is too small to have multiple adbots, though it is possible that there is just one human programming all these spambots. Also, I have said that this could be the April Fools joke.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Some adbots can beat CAPTCHAs, so the failure of this CAPTCHA does not prove the spammer to be human. However, it is possible (and increasingly theorized) that these adbots are this year's April Fools joke.

I was intentionally putting out an insane theory to match yours.

You see, these bots have been going for months, causing much hardship for the mods and admins. It would be self-destructive to start that far back, and even doing it now would be self destructive. I also know for a fact that several prominent forum users have been pushing for CAPTCHA to be used on the forums to stop the spam bots, since they have been causing so much problems for everyone.

Do you know what they did last year? They put pictures of Justin Beiber up and gave a link to the "FRIDAY" video. They then gave you the option to go back to the normal formula. Notice how this didn't take months of setting up, was only mildly annoying, and was not destructive. Why would they go from that to this?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

To be random and keep us on our toes! You can't do the same thing over and over, or people will get bored of it!

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

yours.

I did not come up with the theory that this is the April Fools joke. I simply believe this theory as a possibility.

You see, these bots have been going for months, causing much hardship for the mods and admins. It would be self-destructive to start that far back, and even doing it now would be self destructive. I also know for a fact that several prominent forum users have been pushing for CAPTCHA to be used on the forums to stop the spam bots, since they have been causing so much problems for everyone.

Your attempt to disprove the theory is poor. The bots only got rampant a few days ago, and I think that is where the joke started, not several months ago. Also, normal users do not know of the joke ahead of time, so a push for CAPTCHA does not disprove the theory. Just because an April Fools joke is of low quality does not mean that the action perceived to be the joke is not a joke.
Showing 1-15 of 29