ForumsThe TavernCollege Acceptances and Decisions

28 5069
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

So, April 1st has passed. Most of us (seniors) have been informed of where we have been admitted to college and I'm sure a lot have already made a decision as to where they're going. So post them here! I'm curious, and here's a chance for you to brag about your achievements.

Also, if there are any college seniors who want to post any job/grad school news, go for it!

• 28 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I'm only a sophomore, so I have a while to go before applying to schools, but my top three choices as of now are Purdue, University of Illinois, and Carnegie Melon. I do have a campus visit to Purdue in two weeks which is nice

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Very cool :] I have a friend who was looking at Illinois for Biomedical Engineering, turns out he wants to state in-state for college though.

Do you know what you want to major in?

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I'm a freshman still, so I'm a few year off. But i've already started looking at some good colleges. Anyone know a good school with a poli-sci program?

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Do you know what you want to major in?

I have a general idea, something with computers and either software/hardware programming/engineering. I may send my counselor an e-mail sometime to see what she thinks.
Anyone know a good school with a poli-sci program?

Nope. I don't know anyone who plans to major in political science, so I really can't say
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

UW-Madison seems pretty good for that. Of course there's the higher ones like Harvard, Princeton, and Yale.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Nope. I don't know anyone who plans to major in political science, so I really can't say

*Plans to major in political science*

From my experience, the quality of a university's/college's political science program tends to correlate to the quality of the university/college overall. Claremont Mckenna College is a small liberal arts school that specializes in areas like political science, international studies, economics, etc. The Ohio State University is has a great political science program for a public university. The University of Rochester and Washington University in St. Louis are medium sized schools with strong political science programs.

Truthfully, though, you'll probably have a strong political science program at most schools as it's a very popular major. But, here's a list of programs if you're interested in looking.

I have a general idea, something with computers and either software/hardware programming/engineering. I may send my counselor an e-mail sometime to see what she thinks.

University of Michigan Ann Arbor has a top notch computer program. It's where Larry Paige Sergey Brin (co-founders of Google) attended school and Google maintains a strong presence in the town which can be great for internships. But, as a Sophomore you really don't need to worry too much about your major. Find a school that you love and has a strong department in what you think you're going to major in. Don't worry about rankings too much.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Right now I am a junior so I have to decide where I want to go. The problem is I am not really sure what I want to do. Right now my first option is Purdue. It is a great engineering school and I am interested in computer engineering, computer science, and a few other computer things. But this year I took Statistics and I am loving it. It is really fun and I enjoy it. Indiana University(IU) has a really good college of informatics. So now I am torn between the two.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I'm already in college... I guess that means I am old...

But, more relevantly: I just finished up the application process (it never ends!) to study abroad programs. I was torn between two ecology programs, one in Botswana and one in Australia. I'm going with the Aussie program, because its focused on rain forest ecology, and I'm more into forests than deserts. It was tough, because I got into both programs, so I had to decide between elephants and tree kangaroos. Turns out, tree kangaroos are too adorable to turn down.

But this year I took Statistics and I am loving it. It is really fun and I enjoy it. Indiana University(IU) has a really good college of informatics

Do both! You can focus on the theory behind stats, and methods behind programming (or whichever). Programming is never a bad thing to learn, and I am sure there are many schools out there with strong interdisciplinary programs in both fields. Whichever field you go into professionally, the background in the other will help greatly.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Anywhere in-state, South Carolina has an automatic scholarship for anyone with higher than 3.0 GPA.

Out of state tuition is going to kill you.

Major is planned to be Chemical Engineering.

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

I'm still a freshman I'm willing to do 20 community hours this summer.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I am sure there are many schools out there with strong interdisciplinary programs in both fields.

There are probably some out there but most likely out of state. That would make it a lot more expensive. But I could look into that.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I'm already in college... I guess that means I am old...

Things that I did not know; if you don't mind me asking where do you go to college ak?

Out of state tuition is going to kill you.

Eh, depends. Private schools don't have different rates for in-state and out-of-state students and they generally give more financial aid than public schools. Out of the three schools that will, effectively, be the cheapest only one is in-state.

Do you know where you're going Graham? Or are you a junior? I always assumed we were in the same grade haha.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

im not going...

its different here in israel. it was my dream to just go to usa and try college there but bleh XP

finished school last year and im about to finish another year.

im "volunteering" instead of joining the army (i got permission, how lucky am i? XP). almost done with this year and i have absolutely no idea what to do :/

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Anywhere in-state, South Carolina has an automatic scholarship for anyone with higher than 3.0 GPA.

I'm in the top academic highschool in the state, so my GPA means I'm only 80/395. So even though I meet all the other requirements for the 'Palmetto Fellowship' (or whatever its called, the 5000$ one), my class rank percentage isnt high enough.

I'm looking at four schools: Purdue and Georgia (Both out of state), and Clemson and The Citadel (Both in state). I want to major in either Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering.

When my parents got divorced, one of the things consumed in the conflagration was my college fund, so I'm going to join the Army Reserve this time next year. I'll give a year to Uncle Sam, and then go to college on the GI Bill/Montgomery Bill and Kicker, which means the onlything I have to pay for are textbooks. Then I enter the Army as an Officer, and I'll probably end up staying until I retire at around 40.
omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

I would like to go to Stanford university but I'm still young when I was 7 I started club soccer and we played u-10 god the rest of my team was 7 too we got crumpled so then age 8 and 9 we played u-9 it as better but then u-10 as 9 year olds it was fine but I remember there was 1 kid who was like 5 feet tall or atleast taller than the goal we were like wow no fair .... We lost but I'm still playing club soccer now so I hope I get in to Stanford that way with soccer or math maybe but math is still not my best

Showing 1-15 of 28