ForumsThe TavernThe meaning of Easter?

20 2418
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

I have heard a lot of weird stories about this one. What do you think Easter celebrates or is for? Mine: It celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, after He spent 3 days in burial. What do you think? Just post your idea, try not to debate too much.

• 20 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

That's the reason. Everything else (Easter bunny, Easter eggs, Easter baskets) is just tradition (/a marketing trap).

Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Well yeah, but not all people believe that, even though I do.

Thuran
Thuran
71 posts
Peasant

Well, today at Church, my pastur said it was not only about the Ressurection of Christ, but to never despair, even in the worst of situations, as many of Jesus's followers did when he was crucified. In the Jewish religion, since Christ the Savior was called the 'King of Jews, though he said he was not and did not desire to be a political leader, The sin of despair, which is basically believing Dang, not even god can get me outta this one is the worst sin in their religion.

And that, Charlie brown is what Easter is all about.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Easter as we know it today derives many of it's traditions from celebrations and rituals associated with one of the Pagan goddesses of fertility known as Ostara/Eostre. Christians later piggy-backed on the occasion for the supposed rising of Zombie Jeebus.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Those chocolate eggs are absolutely irresistible. I buy a bag of them every year because it's the only time of year they sell them.

I'm 30 years old and I still can't get enough of 'em!

Soonsaymine
Soonsaymine
51 posts
Nomad

It all depends on what you believe in.

Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Zombie Jeebus

Dude, don't say that. That's basically just saying Christianity sucks. Its really offensive. Oh, and learn how to spell.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Frankly, I'm not bothered if I upset Christians, they've done more than enough to upset me over the years so a little light ribbing is light punishment. I also think you'll find that I'm more than capable of spelling - I was making a Simpsons reference.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Dude, don't say that. That's basically just saying Christianity sucks. Its really offensive. Oh, and learn how to spell.

Oh dear god, do not play the victim card here. It was a joke, get over yourself; I'm sure Jesus is more upset with you for being mean than Avorne for calling him a zombie anyway.

I was making a Simpsons reference.

The missionary episode? One of my favorites :]

As for Easter, I kept having to remind myself that today was something special. It doesn't really mean much to me.
Deathless950
Deathless950
1,943 posts
Nomad

Good Friday- Jesus is Killed

Easter Sunday- He Haunts everyone with his device message

What it means for me:

Good Friday: Watching Jesus Christ Super Star and pretending I'm Judas

Easter Sunday: Food

loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

The missionary episode? One of my favorites :]

don't forget the movie

"Praise Jeebus!"

Easter is a reason to go out to uncles, watch movies, eat prime rib and shoot exploding targets (least for me)
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Yeah, the Missionary episode, and don't forget that he also says it in the Simpsons Hit and Run game - "Save me Jeebus!" xD

Anyway, what else do you call someone that supposedly rose from the dead after 3 days? To my mind, that's quite obviously an occurrence that more than meets the criteria for being called a zombie. Why wouldn't Jesus want to be a zombie, anyway? They're cool - everyone loves zombies.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Why wouldn't Jesus want to be a zombie, anyway? They're cool - everyone loves zombies.

Except liberals :O

Anyway, Easter. Went to my first mass today, catholic girlfriend, and all I could think of was Ezio running around the basilica. Perhaps that's the meaning of Easter; freerunning.
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

all i could think of was using the Christians for Matchlocks, then having monks keep the population to buddhism/ Total War Shogun 2

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Perhaps that's the meaning of Easter; freerunning.

Haha, maybe XD
Except liberals :O

Huh, sounds reasonable. Republicans tend to like guns and feeling free, liberals like to suck people dry [of their money].
Showing 1-15 of 20