ForumsThe TavernThe meaning of Easter?

20 2417
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

I have heard a lot of weird stories about this one. What do you think Easter celebrates or is for? Mine: It celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, after He spent 3 days in burial. What do you think? Just post your idea, try not to debate too much.

• 20 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Everything else (Easter bunny, Easter eggs, Easter baskets) is just tradition (/a marketing trap).

Not true. It wasn't made as a marketing scheme although is has pretty much turned into one.

Christianity has historically integrated other religion's (primarily pagan) traditions and customs into their holidays when it was converting or conquering them. Why do you think there's a Christmas tree? There was no special tree in the Bible.

Much of what "Christians" today view as their religion actually came from somewhere else entirely. In fact, the whole religion was basically taken from Judaism, adds Jesus Christ as the messiah and son of God, changes a few morals and calls it good.

Answering the OP though...the meaning of Easter as celebrated by Christians is the resurrection of Jesus Christ three days after his entombment.
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

The small south pacific island with the giant stone heads that look like Squidward's house?

That's what Easter means to me.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

for me, candy, enough said

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

easter has been more messed up then christams. what? so their is a magical giant rabbit that can poop plastic eggs full of candy? am i the only one who sees something wrong with this?

SteveeXb
SteveeXb
490 posts
Templar

And that, Charlie brown is what Easter is all about.

OMG when i saw the title of this Forum i was totally gonna make that reference!

It seems to me that there seems to be only one meaning of eater....CANDY! jk

anyone whos not a christian doesnt celebrate easter anyway, so they cant have a different "meaning of Easter"

and yes i also saw the simpsons reference and thought it was funny (For those who dont know, it was from The Simpsons Movie) I can also see how to those who didnt get the refernce it would seem offensive.
Showing 16-20 of 20