ForumsProgramming ForumProgramming Class

89 32978
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Would anyone be interested in short programming class that I or anyone competent in programming would teach? It would be a small class with some readings and assignments. I know most of you are busy as so am I so it wouldn't be like University level. But it would be an introduction nerveless maybe a much needed push for some people to start with programming or those who need some structure.

I could teach Actionscript 3, Python or Java (I'm the most proficient with this language). I know some other languages but I doubt anyone wants to learn something as abstract and mathematical as Haskell or as low level as Assembly.

This is just a post to see how many people are interested and in what language.

• 89 Replies
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I would prefer game, but software coding seems interesting. Not interested in web developing though.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Well, probably not web developer type. More like software engineer or game programmer

I would prefer game, but software coding seems interesting. Not interested in web developing though.

Keep in mind that games ARE software, albeit slightly more complex. So if you really want to get into game programming, you will need to get comfortable with basic programming concepts first, then slowly work yourself up to game programming specific concepts. As for languages, I'd almost say that choice is kinda secondary, because there's libraries for just about all the popular languages.

Except of course if you want to professionally make them in a big studio, in which case you'll most likely need to pick up C++
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Except of course if you want to professionally make them in a big studio, in which case you'll most likely need to pick up C++

Well, really what I want programming for is hacking. so I'm learning C++ already, I want Assembly and I heard that Perl is good. Apart from that I'm learning the TCP/IP protocol and some Networking apart from various security books on my list. Also this site is what I measure my skills against currently: http://www.hackthissite.org/

If anyone would be willing to help then thanks
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Well, really what I want programming for is hacking.

That is #3 on my list. The knowledge is power, the internet is a wealth of knowledge. If you can control it, you rule all.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Well, probably not web developer type. More like software engineer or game programmer

You're still probably looking at C++ and Java.

Well, really what I want programming for is hacking.

I really hope you meant white hat hacking and not black hat hacking.
Some languages good for that are; C, C++,SQL, Perl, Javascript and Ruby and a bucketload of software and good understanding of windows and unix programming.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I really hope you meant white hat hacking and not black hat hacking.

Well, if he understands the term "Hacking" actually means white-hacking in general, we're good. But if he intended it for Cracking. Well, then, um. Uh-oh.
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Not malicous black-hat hacking. I don't want to be a cracker.

That is #3 on my list. The knowledge is power, the internet is a wealth of knowledge. If you can control it, you rule all.

Very true.

yeah:

-C
-C++
-Assembly
-SQL
-JavaScript
-Ruby
-Perl
-PHP
-Unix system knowledge.. probably the hardest bit. I've already got ubuntu linux 12.04 btw.

I think that seems like a decent list?
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I think that seems like a decent list?

It is not bad but slightly overwhelming and Java is a good language to know. I would stick with C++ or Java till you reach a level where you can make almost anything you want to. Then probably branch out. JavaScript PHP&MSQL you can learn at the same time. Perl and Ruby should not be as hard after you full master C++.

I've already got ubuntu linux 12.04 btw.

That is nice but you need to open the terminal and start doing things. Installing new packages or software will be the first thing you will need to do.
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

yeah.. I've done quite bit in the terminal so far. I've even had to ./configure && make &&make install some things like nemesis(packet injection) and few other things. So not too bad on that.

btw.. how do you read sudo?

is it soo-doo or soo-doe?

C++ will take a long time though.

I recently heard about Sockets? How does that work

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I say "sue do"--as in "Sue do the dishes"

C++ will take a long time though.

Everything worthwhile does. It might take a thousand hours or more to truly master it or becoming highly competent with it. But that includes learning the programming paradigm with it. Next language won't take nearly as long. Since you build on the base of what you know and not create the base which requires more effort.

I recently heard about Sockets? How does that work

No, I don't know much about networking and not a class I'm planning to take. So I won't be able to help you much. Be warned networking is a third year class that has data structures, linear algebra and calculus I as the prerequisite in most universities. It might be out of your scope right now.
kyhree1359
kyhree1359
5 posts
Nomad

So how can i register for this?.....I want too learn Java and C++.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

@kyhree1359 If you read the whole thread you will know :P. Just go to my profile and you will see an email address there. Shoot me an email and I'll reply. You're pretty lucky I just started the class yesterday night.

kyhree1359
kyhree1359
5 posts
Nomad

oh really? That is good i kinda just skimmed through it.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

I sent you an email like you said. But Im rather curious...are you like going to send us lessons...or just try to chat with each of us personally?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

are you like going to send us lessons

I'll give you the resources and tell you how to go about it and what to do. Like I just sent out an email with what sections you are supposed to read from a online textbook I linked you to. I'll also give you same code and probably skeleton programs for you to complete for assignments. You will send the assignments to me and I'll check them. I don't know if anyone wants anything graded so I'll just send them back with comments/ corrections or send you a comment on how you did.

chat with each of us personally?

Unless you need specific help with understanding something or an assignment I won't be talking to you for extended period of time.

Also I hope everyone got the email that I sent yesterday with all the resources. I'm not used to emailing large groups of people. Ace and kyhree should have them since I just replied with the same thing I sent.
Showing 46-60 of 89