ForumsProgramming ForumProgramming Class

89 32973
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Would anyone be interested in short programming class that I or anyone competent in programming would teach? It would be a small class with some readings and assignments. I know most of you are busy as so am I so it wouldn't be like University level. But it would be an introduction nerveless maybe a much needed push for some people to start with programming or those who need some structure.

I could teach Actionscript 3, Python or Java (I'm the most proficient with this language). I know some other languages but I doubt anyone wants to learn something as abstract and mathematical as Haskell or as low level as Assembly.

This is just a post to see how many people are interested and in what language.

• 89 Replies
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Quick question: When the assignment comes, how long shall we have to complete it?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Depends on how big it is. But they will probably be pretty small so maybe a week.

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Next language won't take nearly as long. Since you build on the base of what you know and not create the base which requires more effort.

Very true. I started on a bit of JavaScript yesterday. I already know ActionScript 3.0, and since they're both based on ECMAscript it all is very easy to grasp.

As for C++, I did some research and it turns out a lot of stuff is written in C, so I might infact start with that instead, although I don't like just suddenly stopping like that
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

When we finish the passage(s), should we wait until you give us the "homework" or should we just let you know we are ready to advance?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Just read what was designated. Though I am nervous that the group email I sent to some of the people didn't actually reach them. I will just re-post it here and future ones along with it.

Hello friends, programming 101 has started there have been a few minor changes but they have been oriented on making this course easier to teach and understand. Like switching books and dropping eclipse for Jcreator.

Jcreator: Install http://tinyurl.com/d7ogmon (cnet direct download link)

I included a tester file that you can open in Jcreator either go file -> open then go to the directory you have it in or just drag and drop it in the Jcreator window and it will open. To create your own file go to file -> new -> file -> Java class, then name it and set the location. I would recommend changing the location since it's default is set as the root of your primary hard-drive. My recommendation is to make a new folder programming 101 in your desktop or main folder and store your stuff there. But that is your decision. Also the file is a .java file so you can also set it to open with Jcreator.

Once you have the file open read it over and run it. By going to run -> run project. You can also play around with the file.

Book: http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/ read section 2.1 and 2.2 for monday and look at the file I have attached to this email.

Assignment 1 will be given on monday and will involved writing a small piece of code. It will be based on 2.1 and 2.2.

If you have a question you can either post in the AG forum or email me personally. But if you are stuck with something, it is likely that others are as well so consider just posting on the AG forum.

http://www.2shared.com/file/xHyquB00/tester.html

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Just wondering, were we supposed to get an assignment today? If it's just a matter of not getting around to it, that's fine, if not, then I haven't got it.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

are we supposed to get an assignment today?

Never specified a timezone or if it follow your mortal clocks. My "today" lasts from 6 am to 6 pm PST it's only 9:30 pm or 21:30 here. :P

Anyway the assignment. Will be due by Sunday 6:00 PM or 18:00 PST

Make a short program that calculates the Quadratic equation using the values a,b,c which you will instantiate and fill will some numbers. You can assume the user will be reasonable with the inputs (not applicable to real life users are extremely dumb don't trust them, if you let them divide by zero they will). There will be two outputs of the roots that you got in the calculations since quadratic equation has +- applied at the same time thus two answers/roots. The form of the output will be,

The first output is, "X"
The second output is, /Y/

This assignment will also require you read Section 2.3
maninfrontofthemask
maninfrontofthemask
95 posts
Jester

K maybe it's just me cause my comps brand new and such but what exactly do we need to install besides Jcreator to run the tester program cause I tried to run it and it asked me about a JDK which I then thought I proceeded to download but it still won't compile

gunsofliberty
gunsofliberty
27 posts
Nomad

Dark, I finished the first message you sent us, But I never received the second one. And as I can see above you posted something else, Are we now to check for the messages/classes in this forum?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

@maninfrontothemask Yeah I forgot about that part but it is a simple process.

@gunsofliberty I think it is easier just to post things here. I wasn't even sure some of the messages were received on gmail.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Never specified a timezone or if it follow your mortal clocks. My "today" lasts from 6 am to 6 pm PST it's only 9:30 pm or 21:30 here. :P
Anyway the assignment. Will be due by Sunday 6:00 PM or 18:00 PST
Make a short program that calculates the Quadratic equation using the values a,b,c which you will instantiate and fill will some numbers. You can assume the user will be reasonable with the inputs (not applicable to real life users are extremely dumb don't trust them, if you let them divide by zero they will). There will be two outputs of the roots that you got in the calculations since quadratic equation has +- applied at the same time thus two answers/roots. The form of the output will be,
The first output is, "X"
The second output is, /Y/
This assignment will also require you read Section 2.3

So your saying...hmmm im not sure I can post the equation for a regular Quadratic Equation, but do you mean as in using the Quadratic formula to somehow create a program which when the user inputs a quadratic equation it'll display the roots? I think I just dumbed it down for myself...

Anyways, I will be not able to respond over the next following days, since Iam coming back home. Other than that, all I ask is for extra time. I just have enough time to post this message and then get off -_-
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I probably will have to extend it since I think I need to email a couple of people on the email-list since they probably don't know the assignment here. Also no you got it wrong. When users inputs (changes the vars inside the program no real i/o. Then the quadratic equation program calculates it. It's not very hard you don't even need to understand how the equation works just make the math in the program work. For square roots you will need to read 2.3 and how to perform some of the more complicated math operations in java.

maninfrontofthemask
maninfrontofthemask
95 posts
Jester

So... just to dot the i's and cross the t's. Assignment one is to create a program with values a,b,c to create the standard quadratic equation, y=ax^2+bx+c and then output the x values of the 2 roots (where the y-value is 0) to the standard output. Also referring to your last post a,b,c don't actually have to be inputted, we can just manipulate their values in the program.

Does that sound right? I also tried to relay as much info as I could to the perhaps not mathematically inclined students

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Yeah that sounds like you understand what you have to do.

If anyone still doesn't understand what is supposed to be done or how to program it don't hesitate to ask.

maninfrontofthemask
maninfrontofthemask
95 posts
Jester

K sorry I feel like a bother but what do you want us to do with our program when we are done?

Showing 61-75 of 89