ForumsThe TavernGeneral NBA Discussion

456 99887
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Who's going it all? Will the Nuggets come back? etc...

The finals is probably going to be the Heat vs Thunder. Well, that's what I think, so, what's your opinion?

• 456 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Just saying, Spurs vs. Warriors may very well end up as the most entertaining series of the playoffs. Every game has been close, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell who the better team is.

superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

Yah I knew Warriors were gonna put up a fight. But I didn't think they would be playing like this. Grizzlies and Thunder though. Another matchup I did not expect to see end up like this. Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph are putting up a fight. Thunder need Westbrook.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Warriors just ran out of gas. The Spurs have more experience and have played through these situations. But really the Warriors killed themselves. Game 1 was blown away and who knows they might have had a chance in Game 7. Nonetheless, it was a great season and postseason for them. This is a young team which can potentially be one of the best teams in the NBA.

Predictions for conference finals:

Grizzles vs Spurs: It's going to be a long series. But watching how badly the Grizzles played today in Game 1, you can't underestimate the Spurs. They had really good ball movement and whenever there was a good shot, an extra pass was made to make it an even better shot. I think the Spurs will win in 7 or maybe 6.

Pacers vs Heat: It would be nice if the Pacers won. I don't believe they have enough offensive power to jump over the Heat. The Heat have the big 3, though remember Norris Cole is on fire, Battier and Chalmers both hit threes at times. Heat in 6

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

It's a shame that the Warriors couldn't at least take it to Game 7. For a while there, they were looking like the better team. But yeah, the future is bright for them, and I'm definitely looking forward to following them next season.

My predictions:

Grizzlies vs. Spurs: Spurs in 7. The problem with the Grizzlies is that they don't really have a superstar who can take over in games. Yes, Randolph is a good player, but as we saw in Game 1, he was severely limited. However, the Grizzlies have a stifling defense that should provide the Spurs some serious issues in subsequent games. It could go either way, but I'm leaning toward the Spurs.

Pacers vs. Heat: Heat in 6. Pacers winning against the Knicks was a bit surprising (at least to me), but they're going to need a miracle to get the Finals. Interestingly though, the Pacers actually won the season series 2-1. But I don't expect that to translate to the playoffs.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Yeah! Cavs won the lottery!

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Wow, good game 1 in Miami. Pacers played really well until that last play when leBron had an open land and layup. I do not understand why the Pacers had Hibbert on the bench. Yes, he had 5 fouls, but if he was in there LBJ would have to change his shot and take a more difficult shot. Or he could have got to the line and who knows he might have missed a free throw.

About the Spurs and Grizzles, they worked their way back into the game late but couldn't finish it off. I think if they had Rudy Gay, he would have helped them score a lot more. Although they have gotten this far and going back to Memphis. Their crowd is one of the loudest.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Yeah, that was a seriously questionable decision by Vogel, especially since Lebron made an easy layup the play before. Maybe he was so flabbergasted by the fact that Wade seemingly gave them the victory with his foul that he didn't consider the 2.2 seconds left on the clock. Also, David West should've been more aware of the situation. His defense on the inbounder was way too lax, and it resulted in a ridiculously easy pass to Lebron. Hell, I never really understood why inbound defenders like to jump around and wave their hands as a means of defense. Get closer, try to block the inbounder's vision, and mimic the ball's movement with your body. Otherwise, you get something like this, where Yao Ming didn't take advantage of his ridiculous size advantage over Steve Blake.

The Spurs need to be careful. They were in the same position last year, and then they lost 4 in a row to the Thunder. The Grizzlies could definitely use another scorer though. But they still hold one key advantage against the Spurs: rebounding. Even in Game 1, where they got blown out, they still out-rebounded the Spurs.

Also, this was hilarious.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Did Tony Allen get fined or warned? But yeah, I was cracking up when I saw the slowed replay. At first, I actually thought it fell pretty hard on his head. That's not a flagrant foul, it's just a good playoff play. He's trying to stop the layup.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

I haven't checked AG in a month. A lot has happened in the NBA since, draft, Finals finish, big name trades, Dwight Howard stuff, etc.

Finals: I'll jump to Game 6 because all of the other games are irrelevant. Spurs had their chance but ran out of gas and Ginobli severely hurt them. Only 9 points and 8 turnovers. Although, I think he was fouled on the drive to the basket when Lebron turned the ball over on the other end. Manu took it down the court and tried to score until Ray Allen got a good swipe on his arm. Plus, a little before that I believe Manu missed a free throw. Leonard missed one too but I won't fault him for that. He's 21 and it's his first Finals.

Speaking of Ray Allen, he saved Lebron's legacy with the three. Lebron would've been terribly criticized and blamed (Those 2 TO's in the final minute). LBJ did carry the Heat for most of the 4th quarter. Looks like he went rambo after the headband went flying off. Game 7, the Spurs...just died.

Draft: I don't keep up with college basketball a lot But analyzing the draft previews, the Cavs should've took Alex Len, Nerlens Noel, or Otto Porter. Anthony Bennett is a power forward, a big dude. But you have Tristan Thompson. I can understand that Nerlens Noel wasn't picked first because he suffered a torn ACL and was a rehabilitation. Alex Len is a good shot blocker, stronger than Noel, and could've replaced Varajao. You can't get much from Varajao, a rebounder and a guy who would grab some points when Irving penetrates and gets doubled. Otto Porter is could have occupied the small forward spot for the Cavs. He's like a Tayshaun Prince. Comparing him with Prince, both of their shots are awkward but still work, both can play outstanding defense, and both are not super athletic.

(Too many draft dudes, I'll stop here.)

Trades: Nerlens Noel and 1st round draft pick to the 76ers from New Orleons Pelicans. Pelicans get Jrue Holiday. I think they've built a good foundation (Pelicans) around their team now. Jrue with Gordon Davis with Anderson. The Western Conference is always quite tough to get thru. They should be in the mix if Gordon stays healthy.

Garnett, Terry, and Pierce to the Nets from Celtics. Celtics get Humphires, Reggie Evans, and some other players I don't remember. Nets are a contender. Garnett is old but he's a fighter, as well as Pierce. I'm sure Jason Kidd as coach will do great, he has excellent relationships with these guys. And never forget Joe Johnson who's been a very nice addition for the Nets, closing out many games.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

A general rule is that you're not supposed to bring back a thread that has already died. I'm not trying to be an admin or a moderator but thats just what I've been told.

Anyways I live in Phoenix, I like the Suns pick. Len will contibute well. Ryan McDonough stated today that it does not mean we will trade Gortat but I highly expect them to. Philly or Sacramento maybe.

Jason Kidd as coach will do great, he has excellent relationships with these guys

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not saying he won't be, but I don't think he will be great. A good, average coach is what I expect at most for the first few years.

I think the Celtics won that trade. They are in full rebuilding mode, they got 3 first round picks and they are set up for several top 10 picks for a few years with the players they have. The Suns have been going through it since Stat left so I know.

Allen announced he will accept his $3.2 Million playeroption with the Heat for 1 more year.

Game 7, the Spurs...just died

Well they are old... But they didn't die, Manu just gave it away (literally) with that turnover to Lebron in the final minute. Popivich is a great coach (Coming from a Suns fan too, who hates the Spurs after all the Western Conference Finals years ago) but I will never understand why he benched Parker at that time. He's Tony Freaking Parker for Petes sake. A future Hall of Famer. I understand his hamstring was bothering him, but still...
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

A general rule is that you're not supposed to bring back a thread that has already died. I'm not trying to be an admin or a moderator but thats just what I've been told.

Yes, but if you bring it back with a reason, it's okay. I'm kind of updating in a way.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm not saying he won't be, but I don't think he will be great. A good, average coach is what I expect at most for the first few years.

Yeah, first years, it'll feel different for him being a coach instead of playing on the court.
Anyways I live in Phoenix, I like the Suns pick. Len will contibute well. Ryan McDonough stated today that it does not mean we will trade Gortat but I highly expect them to. Philly or Sacramento maybe.

Gortat's contract is up 13-14 season. Philly is a possibility. I doubt that they will trust Bynum. Nerlens Noel is there but Gortat could still be of good help. They are lacking a good point guard though without Jrue Holiday. Kings I'm not so sure DeMarcus Cousins has his immaturity issues. If he can fix that he'll be a threat to other big men. I can't reall see Gortat being a King.
I think the Celtics won that trade. They are in full rebuilding mode, they got 3 first round picks and they are set up for several top 10 picks for a few years with the players they have. The Suns have been going through it since Stat left so I know.

Next year's draft is said to have more star potential than this draft. I don't know much about the players coming up next year but I have heard of Aaron Gordon and others.

Nets were apparently looking for short term. After a few years, Garnett will retire. Pierce has maybe 3 years left.
Allen announced he will accept his $3.2 Million playeroption with the Heat for 1 more year.

Not surprising at all. He wants more rings.
Well they are old... But they didn't die, Manu just gave it away (literally) with that turnover to Lebron in the final minute.

I exaggerated that. Haha.

I forgot to mention Coach Pop did not have Tim duncan in when Bosh got the offensive rebound and passed it to Ray Allen. I understand you want to cover all the jump shooters but got to have that rebounder in there. Or maybe foul Bosh and get him to the line for two because Spurs were up three then.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

The Spurs-Heat series was frustrating, to say the least. I was rooting for the Spurs, and yes, they significantly hampered their chances of winning after floundering at the end of Game 6. Pop is one of the best coaches of all-time, but he cannot be held as the paragon of coaching; the mistakes he made--not having Duncan in for rebounding, using Ginobili over Parker--were critical. I really don't know why he was relying on Ginobili so much. Yes, he has his "Manu moments," but he's clearly a shell of his former self. His play can best be described as volatile and erratic, attempting to be flashy at the worst moments. Parker wasn't doing great either, but I'd take him in the clutch every time. And the Spurs didn't really have a dominant player like the Heat did in LeBron. Parker was struggling, Green functions almost exclusively as a spot-up shooter, and Duncan, let's face it, isn't as good as his stats indicate. Almost all of his points come from open mid-range jumpers or easy baskets around the rim. He did have those rare moments when he busted out some post moves (I distinctly remember one where he faked out Bosh pretty nicely), and I will admit that he's a great passer with a high basketball IQ, but he cannot facilitate the offense like he could in the past. The Spurs could've won--and they were heartbreakingly close--but the Heat were the better team.

As far as the draft and all the recent trades go, I don't really follow college basketball, so I can't really comment much on the recent events. In regards to the Philly-New Orleans trade though, I think it's a bit questionable to trade your All-Star point guard (who'll probably continue to flourish) for an unproven center with an ACL injury, especially in an supposedly weak draft. They should've tried to trade Bynum instead (though that probably wouldn't be too successful anyway).

And yeah, they're saying next year's draft is gonna be loaded. Andrew Wiggins is so hyped up right now it's crazy. He's almost unanimously considered the No. 1 pick of 2014, and he hasn't even played a college game yet? I mean, his highlights indicate that he's a ****ed good player with impressive athleticism, quick handles, a solid shooting touch, and some serious swagger, but touting him as the next LeBron? I don't know. Based on what I've seen, he's not quite as strong as LeBron or gifted at passing, but in terms of scoring, he seems like more of a natural basketball player. I'll be following him closely.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Yes, but if you bring it back with a reason, it's okay. I'm kind of updating in a way.

My bad

Not surprising at all. He wants more rings

Do you blame him???

Andrew Wiggins is so hyped up right now it's crazy. He's almost unanimously considered the No. 1 pick of 2014, and he hasn't even played a college game yet? I

Same with Jabari Parker

but touting him as the next LeBron?

Lebron was touted as the next Jordan.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Here is Jabari Parkers highlights from his Junior year in High School
I think he is a better perimeter shooter, but not as good on Defense as Wiggins.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

^Yes, I've seen some of Jabari Parker's highlights, too. He's got some hype, too, but still, not to the extent of Wiggins. I don't follow high school or college basketball much, but I don't think I've seen a high school prospect this hyped up for the NBA since Dwight Howard. Maybe John Wall. But anyway, from what I've seen of Parker's game, he seems like an athletic stretch forward, which kinda makes it hard to determine how good he is from highlights alone. Most of them are dunks and blocks. Wiggins plays more like a pure small forward, and he looks really fluid with the ball. I definitely see a Wiggins-Parker rivalry developing in the near future, if one doesn't exist already.

Showing 421-435 of 456