ForumsThe Tavernwhy are we blaming soda for diabetes

24 3603
samminmysentry
samminmysentry
18 posts
Nomad

in my opinion i think sweet tea is the problem. I knew sombody who worked at McDonalds and they told me that"they put 5lbs of sugar in the sweet tea". And we blame soda...

• 24 Replies
Jugg_Commando
Jugg_Commando
96 posts
Nomad

I find it interesting that many people do blame just soda for the amount of sugar it has. There are other drinks like SoBe, Snapple and other bottled juices that are sometimes loaded with sugar.

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

Sweet tea has about the same amount of sugar as soda. There are so many things that we can blame for causing diabetes, but the only thing at really at fault is the person who consumes that much sugar. That and genetics.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Because people the world over have a hard time finding fault with themselves. It's easier to blame the food they've eaten then themselves for eating it.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Food causes cancer; stop eating today!

craig1997
craig1997
26 posts
Nomad

food causes cancer? it does? soda has a lot of sugar but other foods do too

rogerson
rogerson
4 posts
Nomad

in a soda there is 16 packets of suger

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

food causes cancer? it does?

That abnormal growth of your belly. The safest way to prevent that is to not eat!
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I knew sombody who worked at McDonalds and they told me that"they put 5lbs of sugar in the sweet tea".

In how much sweet tea though? That would be useful information to share if you want to convince people how bad sweet tea is.
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well of course people are blaming soda for diabetes. One is as Maverick4 said;
Then there is the fact that yellow five (a popular food coloring used in many lemon lime sodas) have some undesirable effects . . .
Did anyone ever stop to think,
They don't only drink soda, they've eaten fast food 5 times a week, ever since they were children.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

In how much sweet tea though?

Their sweet tea is probably one of the sweetest. But yes, we need to know the amount of sweet tea 5 lbs of sugar is put in.

Yes, if you drink soda every day it will most likely increase your chance of diabetes. But there are also lots of other things that if you had every day would help increase your chance too.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Eating sweets causes diabetes, not just soda alone. As long as you don't have too much sweets your fine. Of course this sometimes isn't true, some people have had diabetes even if they barely ate any sweets.

samminmysentry
samminmysentry
18 posts
Nomad

In how much sweet tea though? That would be useful information to share if you want to convince people how bad sweet tea is.

3 gallons
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Of course this sometimes isn't true, some people have had diabetes even if they barely ate any sweets.

Considering there are two types, this should not come as a surprise.
Type two is the one getting the most attention, and is largely caused by an unhealthy lifestyle (though genes might be a part of this as well). If I remember correctly, these are the people that have too high of a blood sugar, and should keep from sugar (and thus suffer through the artificial sweeteners), type one is largely genetic and suffers from too low blood sugar count.
And then something about insulin, but either way...
It's two very different illnesses called the same thing, and they should not be confused.

As for soda being blamed, well, here it isn't. Here all sugar is being blamed for type two, and thus they brough up taxes on sugar. And thus making me poor, because I can't stand light products, as they actually trigger my migraine more often than sugar does.
(also, light sucks, and tastes bad, apparently because women are more likely to eat these products, and they want to taste that they are doing something to stay healthy... Or something. A theory by a co-worker...)
KentReid
KentReid
65 posts
Nomad

People should be blamed for Diabetes. Not to say that it is unavoidable in some instances, but more often than not it is the gluttony and sloth of the individual that causes illness.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

3 gallons

5 pounds of sugar is a lot for 3 gallons of anything. To put it in perspective, the amount of sugar in 3 gallons (or 32 cans) of Coke is about 2.75 pounds. The same amount of Mountain Dew contains 15% more sugar, or a little over 3 pounds in total.

According to the McDonald's nutrition website, 12 oz of sweet tea (the size of 1 can of Coke) contains 27 grams of sugar, versus Coke's 39. That amounts to just under 2 pounds of sugar in 3 gallons of sweet tea, versus Coke's 2.75 pounds and Mountain Dew's 3.16 pounds.

Either your friend was exaggerating or he's not doing his job right.

So, if you're going simply by sugar consumption, soda is more to blame than sweet tea.
Showing 1-15 of 24