ForumsThe TavernPenny pointless or precious?

31 4111
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

What do you think of the penny? I think it is the most pointless, useless and annoying thing ever! Basically, a penny costs 1.8 cents to make... so it is a loosing battle from the start. Also there are about 100 billion pennies made every year. That means the government wastes 55,555,555$ every year on pennies.

How they would take pennies out of circulation:
1. They would stop the penny making machine.
2. If you paid with something in a credit/debit card the exact amount would still be taken out
3. If you paid in cash and you got change, it would be rounded to the nearest 5 cents.
4. Many people think it would raise the price of things, but Canada did it and they have had no changes due to the loss of their one cent coin.

• 31 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Also there are about 100 billion pennies made every year. That means the government wastes 55,555,555$ every year on pennies.

Your math doesn't add up. If each penny costs 1.8 cents to make (where did this come from?) and we produce 100 billion pennies a year (where did this come from?) That means we spend $180,000,000,000 a year on pennies...where did you get 55.5 million?

How they would take pennies out of circulation:

Pretty easy how: You just collect all of them and melt them down and don't produce any more.

3. If you paid in cash and you got change, it would be rounded to the nearest 5 cents.

A simpler thing would be that the prices can only end with a .0 or a multiple of 5.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Pretty easy how: You just collect all of them and melt them down and don't produce any more.

or just stop accepting them?

A simpler thing would be that the prices can only end with a .0 or a multiple of 5.

there is really no need. israel doesnt have a 0.1 coin and you keep seeing ??.99 everywhere. actually we used to have a 0.5 but no one accepts them anymore and they are worthless.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

or just stop accepting them?

Without the government giving them value, the public would simply melt them down for personal profit. Since the coins are government property, the government would want the scrap value back.
jjman070
jjman070
47 posts
Nomad

also with pennys nickles and 1$ bills cost more to make then there value therefore all three should be taken out of circulation because it wastes money

beckitten27
beckitten27
336 posts
Peasant

Well, I like them for collecting, but they are not worth much.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

nickles and 1$ bills cost more to make then there value therefore all three should be taken out of circulation because it wastes money

Take the one dollar bill out of circulation? I hope your kidding.

Sales tax ruins any chance of the price of things evening out to a 5 or a 0... 9.34% on non food items where I live.
superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

a paenny earned is a penny saved

-turbotax

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

I like mexico. All they have are pesos, and one peso is worth roughly 10 cents. It might piss off some librarians, but it makes sense to take out the decimal point.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

pointless, i saw in a show about the penny or at least it had that in it, anywho i think they said it takes about 2 or 3 cents to make one penny so yeah pointless waste of money

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

It's still money. At least whatever pennies you have now. So, simply stop making them, but let the current ones still be usable. Life moves on, and old folks can rue the days where a penny was precious.

Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

Yeah.... Taking the penny out of circulation a this point, would just throw our system off.

victor520
victor520
39 posts
Peasant

Well, most of us just use electronic money. Like debit cards or credit cards. We use those mainly instead of cash and coins. So taking the penny may affect the system some, but with our reliance on technology and electronic banking, we will be back on our feet at no time at all.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Kasic: you would only multiply by 0.8. Because the 1 cent is still worth one cent. Also, I have seen it on different websites and the fact that tons of other countries have gotten rid of the stupid coin. Also, how would you collect the trillions of pennies that already exist? just wait for them to circulate back to you then, destroy them. Plus, we have sales tax meaning (at least for the state I live in) you would have to add 4% to your item. So if you bought a 100$ purse it would cost you 104$ and eventually you would get something like 13.87 or something.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

jjman070: A penny and nickel are both useless, but a dollar bill costs only 6-8¢ to make O_o not more then $1.00 by far.

beckitten27: That would make you collection worth a lot more just wait like 10 years and they would be worth a lot more then just 1¢

nichodemus: I agree completely on that one.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If stores and restaurants didn't charge such stupid prices like $2.58 or $10.72, we wouldn't have a need for this useless coin and the government wouldn't be wasting millions of dollars a year just to make them.

It wouldn't have a negative effect on the consumer if you rounded something worth $3.27 up to $3.30. If every charge was rounded up just a couple cents to a number ending in 5 or 10, the customer wouldn't care, the business would make a little bit more money and distributing change would be much easier for both the buyer and the cashier. It's a win-win-win.

Showing 1-15 of 31