ForumsWEPRNik Wallenda walks over Niagra Falls and makes history!!!

17 6668
superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

Starting with a two hour countdown Nik Wallenda is the seventh generation of wire walkers. June 16th 2012 at 1:00 A.M. New York time (U.S.) Nik Wallenda walked a thrid of a mile across a wire the size of 3 pennies thick. He had to go through 16 mile per hour winds, frezzing cold water, and a 40 pound pole on his back to Canada. He had the communication to his father to tell him how he was doing and to give him advice. He did have a saftey harness on his body for saftey issues. He did not want it, but it was too dangerous go without it. Here is a video if you wanna see what it looked like. He made it there in a little over 30 minutes.

• 17 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

yea crazy people walking on a wire.

spectacular in the 1930's but kinda dumb in 2012.
oh well, circus tricks still amaze some people i guess.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Nik Wallenda walked a thrid of a mile across a wire the size of 3 pennies thick

Source please? Since that wire looked alot more than 3 pennies plus it wouldn't be able to hold his weight plus those stabilization bars and that 40 pound thing to help him balence.
He made it there in a little over 30 minutes.

He actually would've made it a bit slower but he rushed the end.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Source please? Since that wire looked alot more than 3 pennies plus it wouldn't be able to hold his weight plus those stabilization bars and that 40 pound thing to help him balence.

It was less than three pennies. It was 2 in or 5 cm. Given that a penny is 0.75 in (1.9 cm), three pennies would be 2.25 in or 5.7 cm.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I agree with you. To me it's as boring as going to the circus and watch elephants get up, sit and do other tricks and creepy clowns doing idiotic stuff.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

It was less than three pennies. It was 2 in or 5 cm. Given that a penny is 0.75 in (1.9 cm), three pennies would be 2.25 in or 5.7 cm.

Ah. When one says "3 pennies thick" that's usually interpreted as "the thickness of 3 pennies" (about .5cm), thus the confusion.

Yeah. Compared to the stuff other daredevils are doing, like flips on motorcycles or base jumping with a wingsuit or the Jetman, this dosen't really seem like much.
superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

yah i guess so

i think it was rubber
but a 1300 pound wire can hold a 100 pound man with a 40 pound bar

He actually would've made it a bit slower but he rushed the end.

well he was excited

It was less than three pennies. It was 2 in or 5 cm. Given that a penny is 0.75 in (1.9 cm), three pennies would be 2.25 in or 5.7 cm. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/nia ⦠91CZIGuU71

ook fine a little less
still it was amazing

I agree with you. To me it's as boring as going to the circus and watch elephants get up, sit and do other tricks and creepy clowns doing idiotic stuff.

lol

Ah. When one says "3 pennies thick" that's usually interpreted as "the thickness of 3 pennies" (about .5cm), thus the confusion.

ohh i see what you mean
well wide then

the Jetman,

oh yah they talked about that during the count down
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i think it was rubber

it sure was a metal cabel. (good visable on your video @ 8:55)

also this cabel seems prety thick compared to a normale cabel used for these tricks.
superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

also this cabel seems prety thick compared to a normale cabel used for these tricks.

oh yah your right
and the cable was thiker this time becuse the wind and water made it spin and move a lot plus the wire was wet
that was why tere were 4 pendulums on the wire
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I thought it was kind of boring. I only watched it because I had absolutely nothing else to do. It was cool, but I don't think it was that spectacular. And the announcer's were weird. They kept talking about random stuff from his past.

CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

I can honestly say, without a doubt, I would be WAY to scared to tightrope across Niagra Falls! Well, congrats Nik!

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

What's with the big deal about safety? It's not really exciting if he doesn't risk dying.

There's my three and four nineteenths cents.

superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

I thought it was kind of boring. I only watched it because I had absolutely nothing else to do. It was cool, but I don't think it was that spectacular. And the announcer's were weird. They kept talking about random stuff from his past.

i thought it was ok
but i expected more

I can honestly say, without a doubt, I would be WAY to scared to tightrope across Niagra Falls! Well, congrats Nik!

also imagine thinking of your family members who died wirewalking
i think 4 of his family mebers died wire walking

What's with the big deal about safety? It's not really exciting if he doesn't risk dying

yah i agree
that would of brought up the level
he was mad he had to use it

There's my three and four nineteenths cents.

what does that mean??????????????????????????????????
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I actually thought it was going to be done without a safety harness. Tuned in to watch him cross Canada around the twenty minute mark and was disappointed to see he had a safety harness. Then I tuned out.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

also imagine thinking of your family members who died wirewalking
i think 4 of his family mebers died wire walking

then think that it is impossible to happen to you because you have safety on. unlike the others.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

I actually thought it was going to be done without a safety harness. Tuned in to watch him cross Canada around the twenty minute mark and was disappointed to see he had a safety harness. Then I tuned out.

He didn't WANT to. It was the only way that the news channel (was it ABC?) would broadcast it. If he hadn't worn a harness the channel wouldn't have broadcasted it and only like 1000 people would have seen it happen. If he had taken it off mid-walk they would have cut off the viewing. It wasn't because he wimped out or anything...
Showing 1-15 of 17