ForumsThe TavernOne Dilly of a Pickle, ain't it?

339 56787
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

INTRODUCTION

Thread Background
Coming from a long-time lurker born in 2008, I have noticed that Armor Games is facing a recent "slump" of activity. In other terms, Armor Games is becoming inactive. In my quest for answers, I've contacted several Armor Games users, ranging from new users to veterans. Thinking that I gave people something to think about for the day, Ernie15 gave me a bold idea to convert these ideas into a thread where one can give his/her ideas on the matter instead of letting this issue be small-talk. In many's minds, this is an issue that needs to be addressed to immediately. There have been threads like this, but this is the central HUB of what we view of Armor Games today.

Armor Games, I give you The User's View.

Armor Games Background
AG3, a major update to the Armor Games world, has been in development for around 2 years. There are tons of beta testers for the website. Prior to and starting at the development of AG3, Armor Games was once a bustling "city," if you will, of ideas traveling by means of public forum posting to comments to one another, or "small talk." Many of these users have left for reasons we will discuss and are being replaced by users we will later discuss.

Staff Changes
Late 2011, Cormyn, a very popular admin, resigned from his duties and became a regular user. He was somewhat replaced with Justin Royster, aka username jroyster22.

Part 1: Cormyn
Cormyn was undoubtedly known for his ability to be publicly active within the community and was often described as strict. As strict as he was, he kept the trash out and helped shape our modern-day Armor Games. He wrote code for the community, laid down a lot of the rules, appointed moderators alongside the moderation team, and, short and sweet, held Armor Games together. In many people's opinions, he was the administrator's community face of Armor Games. Once Cormyn left, jroyster22, alongside his duties with AG3, became the one to contact if you needed help. Justin Royster had big shoes to fill, and so far, he's done a moderate job. He prefers to contact via email, taking away from that on-site communication charm. In my opinion, Justin Royster has been a little vague with his duties. I and others have complained that Armor Games needs a new head, and if Justin Royster was a little more open, we'd have that strong, great leader. I am not criticizing his work- I understand he's busy. I'm just asking that he showed a little more of his face.

Part 2: Inactivity
Sadly, many of Armor Games' moderators have been caught up with daily life to successfully fulfill their duties on a daily basis. Similarly, admins are busy preparing AG3 for its release and have a lot to do. I understand they have lives as well. Many other new members have complained that it is impossible to get in touch with anyone on the staff team. Cormyn had written moderator-selection software, and many are thinking, if it is still available after Cormyn's resignation, perhaps it could be used to find another addition to the moderator team. Freakenstein has been a fantastic addition, but I feel as though we need more. I'm not going to name names because I respect what our moderators do; I feel as though we need more. Maybe it's time we eliminated the "small staff team" tradition for the time being until we recover. As for admins, we don't need a lot, but just one public face to get contact with would be fantastic.

Migration
I know AG3 is going to be very different. I know forum activity has sunk. I know your friends have left. Because of multiple things, many users, newbies and veterans alike, have moved on to different websites. This is not going to help our inactivity problem. It will only make it worse. I am not only asking you all to stay, but I am asking you to help out. We can't sit around and let our users leave. Part of it is our problem; we can make things interesting again. We can make people want to spend all of their time here. We can show people Armor Games is the best darn website out there!

Generation Transition
Jeol brought this to my attention and it struck me. What if the reason so many people are leaving is because they are older? Now, some people will never change, but others will grow and move on. And, who replaces them?

Part 1: Veterans
It's summer. You've finished school and want to enjoy the outdoors. You've finished school and have to work. You've finished school and want to try something new. Whatever it is, whether you've gotten too old for Armor Games, or have something else taking up your time, you can't visit your favorite website in the world. You know what? That's quite OK. Just remember to drop by once in a while and talk to your old friends. Many users are finding that they are having difficulties connecting with new people if they leave right away. Sadly, this leaves many users bored and craving for a good conversation.

Part 2: New Users
The size of Armor Games' user list is rising exponentially- it's skyrocketing! Most would think this would create more activity, wouldn't it? Frankly, no. Many games require an account for online saving to work, and the new generation replacing the previous one seems to be filled with people who join, stay active for a day, and quit dealing with the forums, leaving a large gap to be filled by no one.

Armor Games v3
As mentioned earlier, AG3 is being developed. By my count, there are currently 5 admins developing it. Unfortunately, users are complaining because there is little or no status updates on what's going on. Not to sound demanding, but more frequent updates could make the waiting all the easier. Also, the new achievement system may scare veterans who are used to and have gained recognition by the current AP system. AG3 will also result in a clean slate for the forums... By deleting all of the material there. Of course, much of the material is repeatable, but many veterans have good memories of posting here.

Conclusion
We've lost the face of the admins, Cormyn, and would like to have another public face again. Many moderators are busy with their lives and some more help would be fantastic. A lot of people have given up on Armor Games and have outright quit. Old faces are being replaced with people who aren't as devoted the site. AG3 is coming with big changes, but has gone very quiet recently.

~Salvidian

Those who contributed to this information in some way, shape, or form
-jeol
-Ernie15
-daleks
-Skeleton_Pilot
-Cenere
-GhostOfMatrix
-MrDayCee
-johnmerz

• 339 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Besides, all of us found the button on our own, right?

No. I played Exit Path for a month or two then posted in the forums because someone linked me to an Exit Path thread, and I only posted in threads related to that game for a few weeks. Perhaps they should rename community to forums.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The forums still have a substantial amount of people to keep it running. There are forums with fewer people and still function well.

Besides, just because there's a net loss doesn't mean the forums will ever completely shut down., That is impossible. It is possible for the forums to have a very little activity rate, but it will never be absolutely zero.

It's all relative.

Yes, but there's really no point to a Forum when there are half a dozen active folks left.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I consider the AG forum functioning well, but look at us, making threads like these.

We do seem like a pessimistic mob don't we?

Besides, all of us found the button on our own, right? It can't be that hard to find

Yeah, but it might also be a lack of interest. I personally didn't have any interest until I realized how enjoyable this is. The thing is, most of the newcomers are relatively short-lived they have about fifty posts and go back to the games. They don't stay for long enough to realize how fun and enjoyable the community is. And it's very hard to show them when they have to come to the forums to find out.

Paradoxical problems away!
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I do admit we need to make that community button bugger.

Making it bigger wont make a difference. If most people haven't seen it by now, they probably still wont.

Everyone was confused, and never knew there were forums.

They really should make rename the button Forums instead of Community. It may not stimulate the forums much, but it could at least bring in a few more users (then again, it could bring in a ton of users.)
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Making it bigger wont make a difference. If most people haven't seen it by now, they probably still wont.

What if they made it part of the user registration too?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Some sites actually have pop-up messages of things you should check out. After they make an account one could pop up with a link to the forums and a description.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

We need a Say Yes to the Dress, but for forums. Now's a time- Opportunity for our Community

Haha, great picture.

I do admit we need to make that community button bugger. I sometimes miss it with my mouse. I do have a twitch though.

Considering the fact that the community is the second largest thing on here. The first being, obviously, the games.

I think that making the community button bigger won't really solve much. I guess it might make about 5% more users join but I think that will be it. These people who don't know about a community are on here just for flash gaming and most would probably stay gaming. Besides, all of us found the button on our own, right? It can't be that hard to find.

The community button could simply be renamed to "forums." As I first clicked on it, I figured it would take me to a page with links to Facebook, Twitter, etc. I was pleasantly surprised when I reached a forum.

No. I played Exit Path for a month or two then posted in the forums because someone linked me to an Exit Path thread, and I only posted in threads related to that game for a few weeks. Perhaps they should rename community to forums.

Again, community is not the correct wording for what is really here.

Yes, but there's really no point to a Forum when there are half a dozen active folks left.

Indeed. Everything would work a lot slower, due to the fact that AG is HUGE considering the amount of games and users that are here.

I consider the AG forum functioning well, but look at us, making threads like these.

This thread is targeting the idea that AG is slowing down. I'm not criticizing it presently, but comparing now to yesteryear.

Yeah, but it might also be a lack of interest. I personally didn't have any interest until I realized how enjoyable this is. The thing is, most of the newcomers are relatively short-lived they have about fifty posts and go back to the games. They don't stay for long enough to realize how fun and enjoyable the community is. And it's very hard to show them when they have to come to the forums to find out.

I'm really trying to make the forums enjoyable for everyone by doing my part. Commenting on newbie's profiles, posting on newbie's threads, trying to talk to newbies. I haven't really found the right solution to this problem yet.

That's a fantastic idea! If there was a link to the forums within the registration form, at least people would notice!

I'm considering sending an email to Justin Royster. Suggestions? Objections?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

The community button could simply be renamed to "forums." As I first clicked on it, I figured it would take me to a page with links to Facebook, Twitter, etc. I was pleasantly surprised when I reached a forum.

A rename would probably result in more activity than increasing the size of the "Community" button, so I agree with the idea of a rename.

I'm really trying to make the forums enjoyable for everyone by doing my part. Commenting on newbie's profiles, posting on newbie's threads, trying to talk to newbies. I haven't really found the right solution to this problem yet.

That may make a small increase in the percentage of newcomers that stay, but I think a bigger increase in activity will result from renaming the "Community" button to "Forums" in addition to what you're doing.

That's a fantastic idea! If there was a link to the forums within the registration form, at least people would notice!

And that link should be called "Forums" instead of "Community".

I'm considering sending an email to Justin Royster. Suggestions? Objections?

The following should be included in the e-mail:

-A suggestion to rename the "Community" button to "Forums".
-A suggestion to add a link to forums in the registration form.
-A suggestion to read this thread as well as a link to it.
-A suggestion to add a community admin that is active and visible.
-A suggestion to de-mod the inactive mods and find good replacements.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

A suggestion to add a community admin that is active and visible.

If they are looking for a new person instead of one of the current admins or mods, I imagine it being difficult to find someone who has never used this forum to be willing for the job. Why not just make one of the current mods a community admin? Didn't they do that with Carlie?
A suggestion to de-mod the inactive mods and find good replacements.

If there were candidates don't you think they'd already be mods?
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

That is probably the best idea to come out of this whole discussion.

-A suggestion to rename the "Community" button to "Forums".
-A suggestion to add a link to forums in the registration form.
-A suggestion to read this thread as well as a link to it.
-A suggestion to add a community admin that is active and visible.
-A suggestion to de-mod the inactive mods and find good replacements.

Who is gonna send this email?

If there were candidates don't you think they'd already be mods?

Not necessarily. If the admins don't think that more mods are necessary, they wont add more mods. The admin might not realize that half of the mods are no longer active.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

If they are looking for a new person instead of one of the current admins or mods, I imagine it being difficult to find someone who has never used this forum to be willing for the job. Why not just make one of the current mods a community admin? Didn't they do that with Carlie?

I think you're getting mods and admins mixed up. Admins are staff members, and I was suggesting that a community admin be added in one of two ways:

1) Get one of the current admins to be active in the community and therefore be a community admin.
2) Hire a new admin and get that admin to be a community admin.

Who is gonna send this email?

Salvidian considered sending an e-mail, so I gave suggestions on what to put in the e-mail.

The admin might not realize that half of the mods are no longer active.

So they should be made aware of that.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think you're getting mods and admins mixed up.

I'm not. I was taking an idea from Kongregate. Some of their community admins were mods. They don't work at the headquarters. The admins asked them to become community admins; maintain the forums and such. They're also paid. I don't think as much as the site programmers or people who work at the headquarters/have higher positions, but they're paid. I imagine it being as much as if you were to work at McDonald's. AG could do this with one of the current mods.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I'm not. I was taking an idea from Kongregate. Some of their community admins were mods. They don't work at the headquarters. The admins asked them to become community admins; maintain the forums and such. They're also paid. I don't think as much as the site programmers or people who work at the headquarters/have higher positions, but they're paid. I imagine it being as much as if you were to work at McDonald's. AG could do this with one of the current mods.

Do you mean that one of the current mods should be given admin powers? The point is that activity comes from the staff, not the admin powers. Admin powers by themselves do not make someone a member of the staff, but all members of the staff have admin powers.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I mean one of the mods could be appointed community manager. You're not understanding me. I'm saying AG could hire a mod to be a community manager, which would make them an admin. They would be a part of the staff. I assume that would mean they would talk to each other regularly and we could hear updates about AG3, have an active admin who is actually familiar with the community, and could organize contests like they used to.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I mean one of the mods could be appointed community manager. You're not understanding me. I'm saying AG could hire a mod to be a community manager, which would make them an admin. They would be a part of the staff. I assume that would mean they would talk to each other regularly and we could hear updates about AG3, have an active admin who is actually familiar with the community, and could organize contests like they used to.

Now I get you, though it is possible for one of the current staff members to be a community admin/manager. It does not have to be a mod.
Showing 121-135 of 339