ForumsThe TavernPersonal Post Quotas

36 5483
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Now, before you all go jumping on me for suggesting this, I want to make it clear that this is not a suggestion for the site, but rather for users who are willing to make it happen for themselves!

So what is my idea? Well, my idea, for anyone who is willing to accept it, is to create a personal forum post quota for yourself. For me, I don't rest until I've posted at least 10 times a day in the forums. That sounds pretty low, because it is! If this idea is to take effect, however, my quota and those of others can be raised to reasonably higher numbers over time.

Now, let me specify again that this is NOT mandatory! This is only for people who are willing to make a personal commitment to themselves and to the forums to meet a certain requirement of their choice every day they come online and pay a visit to the forums without breaking any rules. If done correctly and not abused, I have a feeling this could really get the forums moving again if enough people are willing to participate!

What does everyone else think of my proposal?

• 36 Replies
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

I already post about that much whenever I'm online. I'm just not online very much so it doesn't really make a difference what I do.
I would have to commit myself to coming online more often in order to have a significant impact on the forums, and that's something I wouldn't necessarily be able to do.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I guess I could try to get 100 AP every 2 weeks. That sounds achieveable for me.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

So just set a goal? 10 posts per day in at least 4 different sections.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I'm just not online very much so it doesn't really make a difference what I do.

Every post makes a difference!

I would have to commit myself to coming online more often in order to have a significant impact on the forums, and that's something I wouldn't necessarily be able to do.

Like I said before, this is only for people who can and are willing to commit themselves... it is in no way mandatory and there is no shame in declining the offer, especially if real life calls!

And again, this only applies to when you come online and visit the forums, so you don't have to commit yourself to accessing the forums against your will!

I guess I could try to get 100 AP every 2 weeks. That sounds achieveable for me.

Lol, this has nothing to do with AP! This is strictly forum-related and for the benefit of the community rather than your own personal AP gain! =)
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Why set a goal? I glance through all the sections, see what topics interest me, see if they have been posted on since I last looked at them, if they have read those comments and respond if I feel there is something which needs to be added or I'd like to say.

Fairly simple...

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

So just set a goal? 10 posts per day in at least 4 different sections.

If you can commit yourself to that, go ahead! Don't bite off more than you can chew, make the goal realistic!
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

And again, this only applies to when you come online and visit the forums, so you don't have to commit yourself to accessing the forums against your will!

In that case, yes I can commit myself to a quota, as long as it only applies to the days I'm online.
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

If you can commit yourself to that, go ahead! Don't bite off more than you can chew, make the goal realistic!

Mr. Bonehead, I have Over 2,500 posts combined with my lack of a life. I think that will be manageable. (Just kidding about the bonehead part)
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Why set a goal?

It may encourage some people to look harder for topics and not just skim over topics that don't look interesting... but of course, everyone may not experience it this way, so if you don't think it will work for you, don't participate if you don't want to! =)

In that case, yes I can commit myself to a quota, as long as it only applies to the days I'm online.

Yes, it does only apply to those days... don't feel the need to come online if you don't want to! This only applies to when you're already online!

Also, it should be specified that there aren't any rules to this idea... nobody else is going to tell you you're participating incorrectly! This is simply a matter of (optional) personal discipline and how much you're willing to put in in order to increase the activity level of the forums! The more people who do participate, though, the more active the forums will become!

So don't knock it 'til you try it!
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Quotas quell quality.

I'd rather see a dead forum than one full of people posting just to post.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I agree with Gantic. It could be a good idea but it could also turn into people posting just to get to there post quota. We don't want to encourage people spamming.

Plus the people that will see this already post in the forums so...ya.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I post if I find threads interesting or if I can answer someone's question. Giving myself a quota would make me feel like I'm obligated to post. I don't like that. I spend a lot of time here, but I don't want to have to worry about a quota, nomesayin.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

2000 posts before gold knight!

Wait, I already did that... and the only to do so.... hmmm.....

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Sounds like an okay idea I guess, although sometimes I really just don't find many threads that me posting in will add to the discussion or that... hmmm I can't think of the reason but I know there's one out there!

But really, I feel like with a quota I would get a little lazy with my posts just to get them in in the time I have.

Right now I just basically want to keep my post count 100 over my comment count. If I'm online for long enough to comment, I'm online for long enough to post.

XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

Ill post as much as i feel like posting! If i set this "goal" and i need 5 more posts to be able to get offline, then i need to go post 5 bull **** responses somewhere and leave. that makes the community worse not better.

Showing 1-15 of 36