ForumsWEPRMarilizing Legajuana

58 18829
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

So, what's your guys thoughts on Marijuana? Should it be legal? Should it not? Is it good for you? Or is it bad? Does it cause addiction, or not? Advantages and disadvantages of legalizing it? Should people be thrown in jail for years because of possessing marijuana it, but get 2 years of jail for killing a person?

I honestly think it should be made legal worldwide. It doesn't cause any addictions, as far as I know. It causes a lot less harm to our lungs and what-not. It feels awesome smoking it. Hell, it kills less people than Cigarettes do. One of the largest advantages I see is probably the fact that criminals will make much less money from selling cannabis, which can be grown by anyone, anywhere. A lot less actually. Disadvantages? I really can't think of any.

• 58 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

My only thing with making it legal is that it more than likely won't do much. Even if we make marijuana legal, the government's still going to want to tax it, and I see people still buying on the streets. I think that if weed does get legalized, the prices of it through legal vendors (I'm assuming smoke shops and gas stations) are still going to be higher than street value, so people are still going to buy on the street, and uncle sam isn't going to like that. So there will still be the "war on drugs," It'll just be a war on street vendors of weed.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Even if we make marijuana legal, the government's still going to want to tax it, and I see people still buying on the streets.

Of course people will still try to get it illegally, but in far less numbers and for far less profit.

I think that if weed does get legalized, the prices of it through legal vendors (I'm assuming smoke shops and gas stations) are still going to be higher than street value, so people are still going to buy on the street

How many people are going to risk illegal activity for a slight discount on something?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Please don't use the "Cigarettes are legal hence marijuana should be legal" argument. The government cannot hope to ever reign in tobacco usage at this stage, given how deeply entrenched it is. This should not be the basis as to why other drugs should be legalized, it's flimsy and without an ounce of logic.

Marijuana should be legalized for medical reasons if there is solid evidence that it has an impact on hospital treatment; but to legalize it for domestic usage would be disastrous.

Smoked marijuana can also affect the immune system by impairing the ability of T-cells to fight off infections. This demonstrates the simple fact that marijuana can do more harm than good in people with already compromised immune systems. A Columbia University study found that a control group that smoked a single marijuana cigarette every other day had a white blood cell count that was 39 percent lower than the norm. This impedes the immune systems capability of fighting infection, thus making the user far more susceptible to infection and illness, which certainly isn't a good idea for critically ill patients trying to fight debilitating diseases.

According to the National Institutes of Health, studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes a day. Additionally, Harvard University researchers report that the risk of a heart attack is five times higher than usual in the hour after smoking marijuana. This is particularly dangerous to people with high blood pressure, as marijuana raises blood pressure. From 1993 through 2000, the number of emergency room marijuana mentions more than tripled.

And even if the existence of studies showing marijuana isn't as harmful as proosed exists, which they do, the mere fact that there are an equal number of studies showing otherwise would at least be enough to make one think more deeply before legalizing the drug.

Where does the money for hospital treatment for such pot users come from? Not just the smokers, but other people and tax payers as well. What about the opportunity cause then? More people who have natural aients not caused by putting drugs into their bodies will not br able to receive treatment.

I don't particularly care about whether potheads will harm themselves, since it is true they made their own choices, but they shouldn't be the selfish cause for others suffering negative extenalities.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

How does his age and reports of its positive effects support it being less addictive?

I'm not sure why I put it at that spot, but okay. It doesn't. I'm just saying, it's not as bad as a lot of people tend to think. And also, he's not addicted to marijuana.

Not sure if that was meant to be a link or if you just wanted colored text

I wanted to emphasize the words, thus why I apologized to the mods.

Where does the money for hospital treatment for such pot users come from?

This depends from where you are. In Serbia, everyone would pay the taxes, but that's why mostly everyone would be smoking the stuff too, so it isn't really too unfair.

But for the rest of nicho's thread, I mostly agree, except for the not legalizing part
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I think that if weed does get legalized, the prices of it through legal vendors (I'm assuming smoke shops and gas stations) are still going to be higher than street value, so people are still going to buy on the street

How many shifty-eyed people in trench coats still wander the streets asking, "You wanna buy some cheap, illegal booze or cigarettes?" Most people would rather buy things legally than risk getting cought with contraband, even when it costs more.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

it still makes me mad that people argue whether marijuana should be legal and taxed and regulated only because it is not harmful.

It doesn't matter if it is harmful or not compared to any other substance.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

It doesn't cause any addictions, as far as I know

Yeah it does, I have a friend that does it and he says himself that itâs addictive plus you lose all your motives in life and all you want to do is get high.

it kills less people than Cigarettes do

Thatâs because you donât smoke two packs of doobies every day.

Marilizing Legajuana

Iâm guessing you were high in the making of this XD

im noy sure if we should legalize it.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah it does, I have a friend that does it and he says himself that itâs addictive

Science tells us it is not addictive for most people, and many who claim addiction aren't actually addicted.

plus you lose all your motives in life and all you want to do is get high.

There is no evidence marijuana does this.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

I would just like to say that it is possible to be addicted to marijuana, just like one can be addicted to gambling or eating hamburgers.

Marijuana is not naturally addicting, however. Regardless, you go into the debate of what is addiction and whether substituting the word addiction for dependence is necessary and blah blah blah.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Thatâs because you donât smoke two packs of doobies every day.

It wouldn't matter if you did. It's estimated that ingesting an entire kilogram might be deadly.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Marilizing Legajuana

I had to reread the topic title at least 10 times to understand what was going on. Oh, and Marilizing isn't recognized by Chrome's spell-check as misspelled, but Legajuana is. o.O

This topic has really come and gone over the past few years. In America, I see no reason why it shouldn't be lawful. America is land of the free. You can drink yourself dead, game yourself dead, and even **** yourself dead. The only time you're not allowed to something is when it is deemed destructive to society. I don't see how Marijuana is disruptive to society; I only see it as disruptive to the single person's wallet. In America, land of capitalism, everything is disruptive to the person's wallet, correct?

Indubitably so.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

I would just like to say that it is possible to be addicted to marijuana, just like one can be addicted to gambling or eating hamburgers.

Marijuana is not naturally addicting, however. Regardless, you go into the debate of what is addiction and whether substituting the word addiction for dependence is necessary and blah blah blah.

You can't change the definition of addiction to make it suit your needs. Marijuana is not addictive to the vast majority of people, we know this as fact yet people continue to say otherwise.

It wouldn't matter if you did. It's estimated that ingesting an entire kilogram might be deadly.

Not to mention that an estimate for ODing by smoking marijuana requires you to smoke your body weight in like an hour or something equally ridiculous.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

You can't change the definition of addiction to make it suit your needs. Marijuana is not addictive to the vast majority of people, we know this as fact yet people continue to say otherwise.

Addiction is hard to define. When to use addiction and dependence as classifying someone's behaviour is extremely difficult.

I am saying that smoking marijuana can impede one's ability to perform daily activity, but so can many other things. There is even a show that called "My Strange Addictions" to show all the weird "addictions" people have. None of them are naturally addicting, but can become addicting.

There is also the debate over whether smoking marijuana can become a compulsion, but that's a different story because anything can become a compulsion.

My overall point is, yes smoking marijuana can become an addiction, but so can many other things. Marijuana is not naturally addicting, but smoking marijuana can become an addiction. There is a small but clear line.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Iâm guessing you were high in the making of this XD

Nah, just a play on words

Thatâs because you donât smoke two packs of doobies every day

And you probably couldn't. I mean, you don't chain weed like some do cigarettes, because you just get high, and then just chill until you get un-high. Not me, or my friends ever had the need to smoke more than 1, maybe 2 joints a week, so I'm guessing most of the world that smokes it doesn't either. Although I may, and probably am wrong, but whateva.

I had to reread the topic title at least 10 times to understand what was going on.

I thought the name was kind of an obvious word-swap.

Marijuana is not naturally addicting, but smoking marijuana can become an addiction.

Well then how many people are actually addicted to marijuana? Because I can confidently say that all the people in my facebook friend list (back in the fatherland at least) smoke weed, 1 or 2 joints a week. So, that's about 570 people, and none of them are addicted, but smoke weed when they have absolutely nothing smarter to do.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Marijuana is not naturally addicting, but smoking marijuana can become an addiction. There is a small but clear line.

It is not a valid argument against marijuana though. Literally everything is psychologically addictive, but marijuana itself is not addictive.
Showing 16-30 of 58