Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The bad of your country.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 4:48am

sensanaty

sensanaty

1,145 posts

What's bad about your country, that most people don't realize or don't know? Does it have a government that promises one, but delivers instead a dictatorship? Does the government do nothing about corruption? Is the government itself corrupt? Do they have policies that make no sense?

Please, do share with us, I'm quite interested in learning more of this. If you want to know about my motherland, you just have to check page 3 of this thread, nicho and 314 did a beautiful job at describing the situation in Serbia.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 5:34am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

Singaporeans complain like nuts! About evey **** thing in the world. And worse of all they blame the government. World recession? Government. Petrol price? Government. Traffic jams? Government. Coffee price increasing? Government.

The government has numerous flaws that I want corrected; but people keep thinking we're a dictatorship. Get over it, we're one of the least corrupt nations, most transparent and better led in the world. The government bans a hundred sites, many of them extremist in nature. But hey we have quite a fair bit of freedom.

We think we are a police state. Merlins beard! The arrest of an opposition member is online on YouTube. (he was a major public nuisance). It took 3 hours to plead, yes plead him to go quietly. No tackling, no violence, just a sad Indian police woman trying to pacify him.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 7:32am

partydevil

partydevil

5,130 posts

my country (the netherlands) is for 75% based on import and export.
so when europe does well, we do well. and when europe is sucking, we are sucking. so it doesn't really matter what we do to stimulate the economy. for 75% it depends on what the rest of europe is doing.

also is my government very good in not taking a decision on important matters.
when our political party's can't seem to agree on something. then they will stop the "debates" and put the topic down untill after the next elections. and even then they often put it down again for after the next election.
by doing so. nothing changes while most agree that something has to change about it. but they simply do not agree on what or how it has to change.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 7:36am

AatosLiukkonen

AatosLiukkonen

67 posts

Well, there isn't much that people don't already realize is pointless/stupid/idiotic in America.

Though one thing I think completely surpasses everybody's minds is the fact that Americans are always trying to be on moralistic high ground, and saying people shouldn't do something just because they shouldn't. No rhyme or reason, just that they shouldn't. While this is obvious to most liberals on issues such as abortion or gay rights, it permeates throughout every single issue. Who cares about statistics, it's all about trying to be the moral one.

You shouldn't have assault weapons. Why? Because you shouldn't. Why shouldn't I? Because you shouldn't, shut the hell up.

You shouldn't have drugs. Why? Because you shouldn't. Why shouldn't I? Because you shouldn't, now seriously shut the hell up.

You shouldn't eat fatty foods. Why? Because you shouldn't. Why shouldn't I? YOUR BODY IS MINE AND IF YOU'RE DEAD YOU CAN'T PAY YOUR TAXES SO SHUT THE HELL UP.

Seriously. **** the government.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 7:54am

partydevil

partydevil

5,130 posts

for those 3 things they have actual good reasons. not just "because you shouldn't"

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 8:05am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

And that reason is because the social marginal costs outweigh social marginal benefits. It's not a moral reason.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 8:29am

StDrake

StDrake

198 posts

At this point I'm starting to feel singaporean lol - same problem: whatever goes wrong it's a "total tragedy" and the fault of the government. Now it's even worse that the opposition adds fuel to the fire and accuses everyone of national treason.
We've also got a little too much undead romantism in our hearts and crazy catholic fanatics, especially elderly peeps and politicians are trying to use the church as an electorate source

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 8:29am

AatosLiukkonen

AatosLiukkonen

67 posts

they have actual bad reasons*

Fixed.

You shouldn't have fatty foods because then the government won't benefit, you shouldn't have drugs (I'm mostly just pointing towards marijuana on this one) because dey be evolz, and you shouldn't have assault weapons because dey be scaryfaic.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 8:40am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

You shouldn't have fatty foods because then the government won't benefit, you shouldn't have drugs (I'm mostly just pointing towards marijuana on this one) because dey be evolz, and you shouldn't have assault weapons because dey be scaryfaic.

You have more fatty food and the government has to spend more of it's budget to save your fat clogged arteries. Hurts society due to high opportunity costs, since we only consider private marginal benefit; there is allocative inefficiency. Same reason for drugs.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 9:05am

AatosLiukkonen

AatosLiukkonen

67 posts

You have more fatty food and the government has to spend more of it's budget to save your fat clogged arteries.

Not particularly, no. Only those covered by state medicare (at least before this universal healthcare crap) would have detracted from the system, and even then only minimally. The cost is more likely than not in preventative ad campaigns, not in the healthcare itself, as this is covered by insurance in most cases, or for the other sixth hardly at all.

Same reason for drugs.

No deaths from marijuana. Ever. I would say the cost of enforcement is a bit of a drain, no?

Reply to The bad of your country.

You must be logged in to post a reply!