ForumsGamespokemon

31 5470
kellynmcfinch
kellynmcfinch
132 posts
Nomad

list anything about pokemon here. ideas, tips, favorite/least favorite pokemon. only these three.

u can talk as much as u like.

ex. I like dewott (from pokemon b/w) because:

1. dewott looks awesome. you know ninja pose.

2. for one thing water has 2 weaknesses better resistance against the other 2.

3. I like pokemon with two feet and two arms.

tip: here is a good reason not to get snivy:

yes, his/her looks are cool. But his type is grass type and grass type has FIVE weaknesses. many pokemon masters are fooled getting him by his look but here is my tip: aim for the strongest NOT the pokemon with cool looks. the best pokemon may be ugly but they could be strong too.

• 31 Replies
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

tip: here is a good reason not to get snivy:

Nobody chooses grass types for their starters anyways... Throughout the generations, they are useless.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Nobody chooses grass types for their starters anyways... Throughout the generations, they are useless.

-.-"

I like the grass types for most of them. Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko and Turtwig are some of my favorites. They're not useless by any means.

Pokemon Black/White killed what interest I had in Pokemon though. With the overdone animations, same old plot line/battle layout/level cap and annoying features such as zoom in/out on building entry exit, I lost interest before the 2nd gym.
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Snivy is probably the best bet for picking a starter in White/Black. You can't say that it sucks just because it has 5 weaknesses. If it has five weaknesses and put counters. For example, Grass is weak against fire so you'll have a water type to back it up.

kellynmcfinch
kellynmcfinch
132 posts
Nomad

if you like snivy then just like him mostly for looks not too much for combat.

another tip: try not to switch pokemon unless you have a good reason.
because if you switch to a better pokemon... well you might not expect it to faint in 1 hit because its not easy to predict a move.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

You can't say that it sucks just because it has 5 weaknesses

It's never about the weaknesses... Heck, you know Abomasnow? He has like SEVEN weaknesses. (Being an ice/grass type) but still, people use him for his abilities and his stats.

Its because most starters for grass types have generally weak and average stats.

The only thing that I can think that is useful about grass starters in combat is their access to status moves like Leech Seed and Stun Spore.

The only good Grass type starter I would say is Sceptile, as he makes a decent sweeper with high speed and good special attack. But why choose Sceptile while you can choose Blaziken, which is much better?
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

its not fun if you win with a good pokemon. its fun when you win with a pokemon you like. i choose my pokemon because i like them. i dont care much for stats (i started playing it when i was REALLY little so i didnt even know what stats are) and just keep with my favs

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

its fun when you win with a pokemon you like

Thats true if you were to play Pokemon on a casual basis. However, if you were to play competitively or play the Battle subway/Battle frontier/Battle tower using these Pokemon, you might have a bad time.

Anyways, I learnt my mistake when playing Pokemon yellow, when I only trained my Clefable (My favorite pokemon that time) to lvl 70+ while my other pokemon remained weak. And then, I was stuck on the Elite 4.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Bulbasaur..then for fire pokemon, arcanine. Boom

2. for one thing water has 2 weaknesses better resistance against the other 2.

This confuses me...it seems like you were going to say much more...then you just abruptly end it. As for why to not get water...in my opinion...I'd much rather have either Gyrados or Wailord

Pokemon Black/White killed what interest I had in Pokemon though.

^This

In the earlier games, the focus was on the Pokemon themselves, the story, the ambiance of the game, smoothness of the game, all that jazz

In the later games (platinum/diamond/pearl onward) the focus has been the look of the game...is this flashy enough? Does this look cool? Did we cram enough crap in this town? etc
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

if you like snivy then just like him mostly for looks not too much for combat.

I disagree. Serperior has good special defense, speed and defense. And if you use the coil strategy. It can be deadly.
kellynmcfinch
kellynmcfinch
132 posts
Nomad

I mean better than the other 2 TYPES. sorry

kellynmcfinch
kellynmcfinch
132 posts
Nomad

uhh... i don't go for defense and speed because that is not a good combination. I would go for ATTACK and SPEED because you get to strike the heavy blow first before the opponent does. SPEED and DEFENSE is like hit and run.

second of all I am talking about snivy NOT serperior.

lets just talk about ideas/tips/favorite/least favorite and just forget about the whole snivy debate.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

I would go for ATTACK and SPEED because you get to strike the heavy blow first before the opponent does. SPEED and DEFENSE is like hit and run.

Hmm... Speed and attack?

A) Get a 252 Attack EV and 252 Speed EV Haxorus.
B) Equip him with a choice band/scarf
C) Bathe in the tears of your enemies.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Anyways, I learnt my mistake when playing Pokemon yellow, when I only trained my Clefable (My favorite pokemon that time) to lvl 70+ while my other pokemon remained weak. And then, I was stuck on the Elite 4.

maybe thats our difference. i dont train just one pokemon. the only game i had problems with (didnt play white/black and dont plan to) was saphire during the elite 4.
lucianomagno
lucianomagno
10 posts
Nomad

my strategy since pokemon red was always the same:Capture only 6 pokemon and beat the game with those,and sometimes catching only one for HMs like Cut or Surf:
dont know,always found cool pokemons to catch,and training them to make them a killing machine.
Problem is,that in this latest generations the new 150 pretty much suck.
heck,in pokemon white the first pokemon i got besides from tepig(only to get emboar)was a carracosta,since it is a fossil it didnt counted as a catch,so i captured my first pokemon(joltik)after beating the fifth gym...

destroyer006
destroyer006
84 posts
Nomad

FIRE STARTER POKEMON FTW...... forget grass!

Showing 1-15 of 31