ForumsSupport ForumMerits

22 5516
RaiderDawg
RaiderDawg
158 posts
Nomad

What are the chances that a mod won't see my merit? I've written 2 very long reviews in the past and I never got credited for the merit.

I wrote one today:
http://armorgames.com/play/174/zombie-horde-3

How often are merits credited? And what are the chances the mods won't even see it?

• 22 Replies
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

There are a lot of games, and a lot of comments, they can only do so much to find good comments. While I'm not saying you won't ever, get a merit, it may take a while. Also, the best way you can get a merit in say, old games nobody seems to play much, is hope that the ones who do, and see your comment, vote it up, then it may increase your chances. While I don't think it's allowed, I'm not entirely sure, check with a Mod or the rules on this, you could vote up your comment once, maybe twice if you really care THAT much. However, as I said, you may need to check because I'm not sure if that's allowed =o

Also you may be able to get a merit by giving them a link to your comment, while I'm not sure if they will, they may give you the merit if it's good, and they'll probably search the rest of the list. I don't think you should go throw every comment you've ever written at them though, if they get 20-30 links, I doubt they'll even consider going into the first!

The only real way to get one without, if the two above aren't allowed, as I think they aren't anyways, is to wait, and hope, cross your fingers, preform a 'Merit Dance', something. They will come, eventually, i would hope. o_o
*20 years later*...no, not that 'eventually', but then again.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

First off. Theirs really no information on it. It's only like one sentence of a small info and a rating. They want long, informative reviews. Read mind on GemCraft or Pop Pirate or Drift or Mind Impulse. That's a pretty good amount.

swordman
swordman
106 posts
Nomad

merit??????
i dont know how to do it

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

What I don't get is how it took me ages to get my first 7 merits, then in two days I got to 15...

Also, in 6 months I have got 20 merits. Look at Nick_coolhaha...he has over 120. How come the mods have seen his comments and not mine?

I haven't posted as many merit comments as he has...but it isn't fair how I haven't got mine on games where he has. I usually post about 10-15 lines anyway. Also, what happened to Merit_Recognition, is that still going?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I think currently the best approach is not to write comments with a view to getting merits. Though it certainly is nice to have an incentive to writing something useful that you know will be appreciated especially if it is marked up, I propose sticking to the "virtue is its own reward" model :P

That will also save you a few weeks of angsting over each 'merit-worthy' comment that you make...as well as the chance that you'll burn out writing tired, templated reviews of games you don't even want to write more than "lolwut" about xD

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

@swordman

Read this, if you have, or don't get it, then ask someone who has a few, they should be able to help you out a bit.

@kingryan

Well, it may be the fact that he's been here longer than you, or it may be the fact that he just gets a lot of 'ublic attention' and people reccomend his comments to Merit_Recognization. Who knows?
However, I can tell you this, maybe you should spend a little more time, make the comment as good as you can make it, and as long, at it may be noticed, I spend 10-15 on my merit ones, sometimes I do just give up easily on thinking of something to add, and there is always something to add usually, no game is perfect.

As for the Merit_Recognization, as far as I know, it is still going. I think they still have the rule that you are not to submit your own comments, so don't try that as they will simpily delete your claim.

That help any?

Oh yeah, Strop has a point, while you shouldn't exactly not try to get a merit, you shouldn't be spending your entire time writing the comment, thinking of a way to get the Mods attetnion and give you one either =o

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yes, quite right, I'm not suggesting that you should spam with lolwut type comments :P

It's just that I see a lot of "I wrote a merit-worthy comment and it's not getting merited". I estimate that this constitutes at least a fifth to a third of the messenger traffic that moderators get in their inboxes, which *just might* be a bit of a clutter.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

Well its better to do it on newer ga,es then you have a better chance I did one in April and it dstill didn't get merited all you have to have is paitece.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

And people that do it on old games normally copy comments!(I didn't when I was doing it I had the first comment)

Bree
Bree
27 posts
Nomad

Yes thats probably right Crazy!

jar3ko25
jar3ko25
1 posts
Nomad

what are merits for?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Merits are supposed to indicate that a post has great value. Basically if you write a really informative comment about a game, people might notice and vote it up. If a moderator sees it and agrees that it's useful, they'll "merit" it. The person who wrote the comment gains 25 points for that.

Bree
Bree
27 posts
Nomad

I will eventually start to get merits once I am more active on the site I will!

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

I did a great comment on Ninja Hunter and I hope people notice it.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I think that the vote up arrow should like send the comment to a site for it to be looked over by mods and for them to see if its merit worthy. Just my opinion.

Comments that are 'Voted Up' are supposedly sent to a list that the Mods look at, in other words, it sorta does, if what I've gathered is true. It does also make it more 'apparent', however I'm not sure if that's the indication that the mods should take a look at it, instead of the list, or if it's to model that this it is almost a merit, or something =|
Showing 1-15 of 22