ForumsWEPRMost used passwords for 2012

49 24266
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Here is a list from 1 to 12 ( 13 to 20 excluded) If you use them, better change.

1. password

2. 123456

3. 12345678

4. abc123

5. qwerty

6. monkey

7. letmein

8. dragon

9. 111111

10. baseball

11. iloveyou

12. trustno1

• 49 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

What I want to know is, how did they find this all out?

if you ask me then i say is fake. these passwords can't be used on most sites anymore. there is no way they are the top 10.
maybe yahoo tried to be fancy and made it up maybe some1 els did. but for me it's clear tat it is made up and no fact.

Are these passwords from one specific website, or every website in general,

going by my above statement. it is only the passwords from yahoo (if they allow these) or a lie.

I agree, any time I register to a website and it has something like:
Minimum 8 characters, must include letter, number and a mix of lowercase an uppercase, e.g Th1Sis4nExAmPlE.

In my opinion, they're extremely hard to remember at first, and I often need to use the 'forgot password?' and often, there isn't an option for this.

a paper and pen can do wonders.
or do you use the same password everywhere? that would be kinda stupid tho. better change passwords and write them down. (as mage already said)
anyway if you use the same everywhere. then you get used to the requirements and you wont mind anymore.
it's like changing from win-xp into win7. at 1st a bit annoying but after a week it feels fine.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

you can have extremely strong passwords by just using numerals.

^This

Just for fun, in my business tech class last year I told the entire class what my password for my email was (we weren't doing anything and I was bored, I offered them the challenge and they agreed) and none were able to remember it long enough to log into my email because of its obscurity (it isn't long or anything, just random fluctuations if you catch my drift)
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Look what I found, guys. An actual source that corresponds with the information posted in the OP.

I suggest you cite it next time rather than just xerox it off some other site and paste it here. Otherwise, we all have to assume you just made it all up.

^ Bad joke. The point is, cite your sources.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

do you use the same password everywhere?

No, but I use the same password for all of the things under the same username, for example, my Kongregate, AG and email adress for this account are all the same.
My facebook account has the same password as the email to that, and so forth.

An actual source that corresponds with the information posted in the OP.

Yeah.
I never said I thought it was fake - since I'd say I could see some people using every single one on the top 25.
SirBelgrave
SirBelgrave
12 posts
Nomad

Ive never thought about a password protection system xD

-Jeff

theawesomnator
theawesomnator
56 posts
Nomad

My password was something like "bringerofsalvation" or something like that. Bcause I had a different email address and account. But now my email is www.theawesomnator@hotmail.com

So you know. U could send me some mail & stuff like that.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

This thread is screaming for some obligatory xkcd:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png

if you ask me then i say is fake. these passwords can't be used on most sites anymore. there is no way they are the top 10.
maybe yahoo tried to be fancy and made it up maybe some1 els did. but for me it's clear tat it is made up and no fact.

Most popular websites (as in Facebook and Youtube/any other google owned sites, because I didn't bother to check any others) only require a minimum password length and not any specific symbols. You can use all the passwords in the OP to sign up for Facebook.

And even IF most sites required you to have numerals andd stuff in your password, it really wouldn't change a thing. If you look at Ernie's link, you'll find that the 25th most common password is password1. People will just attach all the required symbols to the end.

What I want to know is, how did they find this all out? It's not very reassuring to think that there's someone out there who's looking over everyone's passwords and determining which ones are used most frequently!

From publicly available sources. That same guy also happens to have a much bigger list of commonly used passwords, but it's a year old, so the information might be slightly outdated.

Lastly, have a website to test password security. And yes, I realize the irony of finding out the security of your password by entering into a website, but the more cautious folks of you can just enter slight variations of your password and see how it changes the calculation.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Most popular websites (as in Facebook and Youtube/any other google owned sites, because I didn't bother to check any others) only require a minimum password length and not any specific symbols. You can use all the passwords in the OP to sign up for Facebook.

i guess i automatically added the requirements from other sites for those.
anyway, i left my point after a good source was given.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

It would take a desktop PC about 5 quintillion years to crack your password

looks like my passwort is secure enough.
Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

I don't know if anybody has posed this yet but I found this awsome website for finding out how good your password is. [url=http://howsecureismypassword.net/] According to this website my password would take 7 hours to crack. That's probably good enough!

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

Wow. I can't believe I missed that somebody 3 posts above me posted the same website. Sorry about that.

pokemonrocks126
pokemonrocks126
665 posts
Nomad

ummmmm i typed in randomness321 and it sayed it would take a desktop tc about 37 years to break that

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Said it would take someone 7 hours to find my password... Hmmm... Upgrade time!

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

According to this website my password would take 7 hours to crack. That's probably good enough!

Keep in mind that it means an average desktop PC. If just about anyone can crack your password in less than a day, you'll get problems. Not to mention more sophisticated machines can probably crack it even faster, so changing your password might be a good idea.

Then again, the website is really more of a guideline, rather than a 100% accurate calculation.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

"It would take a desktop PC about 10 days to crack your password."

That's with all one case, no numbers.

And then; if you type my name with my age.
"It would take a desktop PC about 19 seconds to crack your password"

Showing 16-30 of 49