Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Most used passwords for 2012

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 3:32pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

I've never used any of these passwords before, although I have used drowssap :D

P.S. In my own opinion this is in the wrong section, this is hardly a world event/politics/religion. Maybe this belongs in the tavern?

Just a thought.

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 4:22pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,097 posts

shouldn't AG use a better protection system then?

If it's what I think this "better protection system" is, I personally detest having requirements to a password, such as "you must have at least one numeral and one symbol to register the password". Having a symbol in your password drastically increases your password strength, but it shouldn't be a requirement; you can have extremely strong passwords by just using numerals.

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 6:25pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,237 posts

Knight

This is weird, I thought people would make sophisticated passwords. Not like 12345678 or something. I make passwords with password combinations that are a mix or letters and numbers, and they tend to be very long. But I have a photographic memory so I can remember them. Why would people make such simple passwords? It is pretty stupid to make passwords for accounts that even 5 year olds could even hack into.

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 6:28pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,687 posts

Knight

My passwords have always been complex, even when I was new to the internet, they've just grown longer over time. My passwords are different on all sites, so the only way for me to remember them is to write them down.

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 6:30pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

What I want to know is, how did they find this all out? It's not very reassuring to think that there's someone out there who's looking over everyone's passwords and determining which ones are used most frequently!

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 6:59pm

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Are these passwords from one specific website, or every website in general, with the inclusion of desktop passwords?
Specification would be helpful, anyway.

I personally detest having requirements to a password

I agree, any time I register to a website and it has something like:
Minimum 8 characters, must include letter, number and a mix of lowercase an uppercase, e.g Th1Sis4nExAmPlE.

In my opinion, they're extremely hard to remember at first, and I often need to use the 'forgot password?' and often, there isn't an option for this.

I thought people would make sophisticated passwords. Not like 12345678

Children usually have easy passwords since they would probably forget them too easily otherwise.
Like, when I was younger my password was always just my first name followed by my age, e.g my club penguin password was shane7.

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 9:44pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

What I want to know is, how did they find this all out?

if you ask me then i say is fake. these passwords can't be used on most sites anymore. there is no way they are the top 10.
maybe yahoo tried to be fancy and made it up maybe some1 els did. but for me it's clear tat it is made up and no fact.

Are these passwords from one specific website, or every website in general,

going by my above statement. it is only the passwords from yahoo (if they allow these) or a lie.

I agree, any time I register to a website and it has something like:
Minimum 8 characters, must include letter, number and a mix of lowercase an uppercase, e.g Th1Sis4nExAmPlE.

In my opinion, they're extremely hard to remember at first, and I often need to use the 'forgot password?' and often, there isn't an option for this.

a paper and pen can do wonders.
or do you use the same password everywhere? that would be kinda stupid tho. better change passwords and write them down. (as mage already said)
anyway if you use the same everywhere. then you get used to the requirements and you wont mind anymore.
it's like changing from win-xp into win7. at 1st a bit annoying but after a week it feels fine.

Posted Oct 28, '12 at 11:06pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,238 posts

you can have extremely strong passwords by just using numerals.

^This

Just for fun, in my business tech class last year I told the entire class what my password for my email was (we weren't doing anything and I was bored, I offered them the challenge and they agreed) and none were able to remember it long enough to log into my email because of its obscurity (it isn't long or anything, just random fluctuations if you catch my drift)

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 1:23am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,534 posts

Knight

Look what I found, guys. An actual source that corresponds with the information posted in the OP.

I suggest you cite it next time rather than just xerox it off some other site and paste it here. Otherwise, we all have to assume you just made it all up.

^ Bad joke. The point is, cite your sources.

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 6:35am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

do you use the same password everywhere?

No, but I use the same password for all of the things under the same username, for example, my Kongregate, AG and email adress for this account are all the same.
My facebook account has the same password as the email to that, and so forth.

An actual source that corresponds with the information posted in the OP.

Yeah.
I never said I thought it was fake - since I'd say I could see some people using every single one on the top 25.

Reply to Most used passwords for 2012

You must be logged in to post a reply!