ForumsGamesThoughts on the Game Bandwagon

8 2082
404011xz
404011xz
212 posts
Farmer

Start time 8:40 P.M.
This is pointed to those of you who are tired of the game bandwagons. Do you remember the time when you used to play games because they were fun and they had that slight level of addiction that wasn't enough to make you go crazy? I miss those days. Playing games now adays though is based off of how many people you know have it, how new it is, what everyone thinks about it. You know this to be the truth. I liked it much better when you got to choose what games you want to play. Nobody influenced you to buy it and it was solely your descision. And you know who are influenced by the game bandwagon by what they say today and what they don't say tomorrow. How many of you have heard people talking about how this game is the best today, then this game is the best tomorow? If they truely loved the game they would reminisce about it with their friends and still be playing it when they got home from time to time. I truely love Pac-Man, and when I get the chance I unload a pocket full of quarters on it. Now that I'm talking about it I see how I truely feel about this subject, and how I miss the old days. Back when the games didn't depend on top notch graphics and sex scenes to get people to play them. Post your thoughts on this topic as you wish. You are entitled to your own opinion (no matter how much I don't like it). Just try not to make this thread become off topic. From time to time I'll also add in some thoughts I forgot about in the original.
End time 8:56 P.M.

• 8 Replies
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

whats wrong with being on the bandwagon? i love games like battlefield and call of duty, and halo, when games like Mount and Blade, and Total War, and Half Life aren't as fun, i play those because i can mindlessly shoot things :P

just my .02

404011xz
404011xz
212 posts
Farmer

I like battlefield personally. But thats just because I've played it on my own terms. My friends seem to like CoD (I've never much cared for it), The question is. Do you like those games because all your friends play them? Would you like these games if your friends or the T.V. hadn't suggested them to you? My point of view is that you shouldn't be influenced to like games because everyone else does.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

i found a bunch of games my friends or the Tv told me to find, but still doesn't mean the others aren't fun. i like CoD, but only the Campaign, it's not too good, but hell i'll play it.

although i love the sound on battlefield, and it has a very good multiplayer

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I liked it much better when you got to choose what games you want to play.

You still do. Other people's ignorance or sheeple like actions doesn't mean you have to follow.

Also, just because there's a bandwagon on the game doesn't mean it's a bad game. Overrated perhaps, or redundant to previous versions, but not necessarily bad.
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Playing games now adays though is based off of how many people you know have it, how new it is, what everyone thinks about it. You know this to be the truth. I liked it much better when you got to choose what games you want to play.

I decide if I should get this game based off of, ratings and reviews, sometimes I ask my friend if they have it, what I've been from gameplay. Then I put all that together and ask myself, "Will I enjoy this game?", "Is it worth keeping for a while?", etc.

Like for Battlefield 3, I kind of jumped on the game bandwagon, but I stilled look at other besides just that my friend have it. But actually if you play with friends, the game becomes more fun. Anyways, jumping on the bandwagon like Kasic said, doesn't mean it's a bad game. Look at CoD and Battlefield, I know there are ups and downs but both games have succeeded throughout the years.
404011xz
404011xz
212 posts
Farmer

It is kinda hard to fail as a game company though now because the first day 5 million people buy the game not really knowing what they are getting into. I've been there and got burned, payed $59.95 for a game and found out I really hated it. In my opinion though CoD has been the flavor of the year, I treuly have no idea why people enjoy it, I didn't really find it to entertaining. Maybe If I wanted a quick match before I go to school in the morning, but that's about as far as I can get into it.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

You can't really play a online game without there is a good amount of players so you can find fast and not be matched against the same people all the time which gets boring and the game producers need a good amount of people to buy and play there game or they cant afford to pay people to make and improve the game so generally the less people that play the game the less updates and improvements are made so generally they aren't as good as the popular games.

I personally played cod4 because all my friends were telling me it was good and after I few games I loved it because it was so much faster paced and rewarding then halo 3 and gears of war that I was playing at the time partly because the ranking system rewards you for playing a lot and I believe this is now a key part of a game being able to stay playable over a long time.

They are popular for a reason.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

It is kinda hard to fail as a game company though now because the first day 5 million people buy the game not really knowing what they are getting into. I've been there and got burned, payed $59.95 for a game and found out I really hated it.

You're kidding right? If anything, it's easier to know what game is like these days than 10 or 15 years ago. There are review sites. There are demos for you to download. There are both professionals and non-professionals who do "Let's Play..." on Youtube. There is so much information available to you about games. And it's hard to fail as a game company these days? It's way harder to actually start a game company.
Showing 1-8 of 8