ForumsWEPRSelf-Destruction

46 8585
EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

Many people are starting to not care about life so they decide to hurt themselves, but do you think this is necessary for their angst and depression.

• 46 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Hm, I've vaguely heard something like that reaction MafiaSlayer but I really can't be sure.

As I said before, knives give me the creeps :P I prefer my pain to be blunt-force, hence my hobbies, which involve a lot of falling over and stuff.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

Falling over stuff? Drink more coffee...or do you drink to much?

Anyways...why do people "self-destruct"? There really is no single reason to this.
-One reason is because they cannot deal with, or can feel, pain. Therefore, they cut themselves to feel like they are in control of pain, able to feel it and deal with it. They act as though they are the master of pain.
-Another reason is that they simpily do not understand pain, and cut themselves to "learn more" about the feeling and anguish of pain.
-A third reason is that people may have alot of anger in their life, and they turn that anger into pain, by cutting.
-A fourth possible reason, and the one that i think is most often, is to try to draw attention to themselves. Perhaps they think that they aren't "cool" or anything, and are desperate for some people to notice them. Therefore, they cut themselves, and try to get attention.

XxHellBlazerxX
XxHellBlazerxX
43 posts
Nomad

Hmm, I've never actually heard of this, I think it means the destruction or ruination of oneself or one's life, but I don't think people are cutting themselves because they feel down and empty inside.

ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

people just get stressed out so they turn to cutting themselves. "emo" is what people who stop caring go for which personally I think is not the way to solve your problems.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

*reads his last post*

Ermm...no?

When I talk, do people hear me? Or am I just speaking to myself? XD

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I have just heard about self cutting, not "Self Destruction".

Sekel6520
Sekel6520
167 posts
Peasant

I dont feel like reading that much devoidless lol. oh well. self cutting can be self destruction.... mentally too

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Ricador: That applies to any behavior that one does to intentionally injure themselves.

Sekel: Maybe you should. It explains a lot(at least for one scenario). XD

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Let me break this down...

1.the term "emo" is used for people who are chronically depressed, and don't know how to relieve themselves of this depression. I don't know how the whole cutting and body mutilation thing started, but it is actually a emotional disorder that is diagnosable. I don't necessarily agree with people cutting themselves, doing drugs among other things, but there is help for these people.

2. There is also a culture known as the "emo" culture. Emo (pronounced /ËiËmoÊ/) is a style of hardcore punk which describes several variations of music with common roots. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, D.C. music scene.(source; Wikipedia.org). I have a lot of friends that are in the popular culture, but it has drawn out into a mass hysteria almost as bad as the red scare. I wear black alot so that labels me as "emo", when I just like black.

rocketsrule
rocketsrule
236 posts
Nomad

No, I don't think hurting yourself is something to do when you're mad, there should be other things you can do that doesn't involve hurting , or killing.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

rocketsrule, a few others in this topic, I feel, are not thinking about personal rights. There are some folks out there that cut to release emotion. I might go out and run to release my anger, while Johnny over here wants to cut himself a little. Either way, he isn't causing harm to his body. Read Devoidless' testimony, it is really informative.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

FireTail, I am afraid that the strangulation is very dangerous. This is not harmless release of emotion. You will die by doing that. I am not a doctor, but I suggest that you seek some counseling for that.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I told you... Diagnosable disorder of the mind

sushihair
sushihair
153 posts
Nomad

This thread has a really cool title,lol.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

It is not exactly like Anorexia or bulimia. Emotional cutting cannot have the same pathology in my opinion. For example, let's say Sally has anorexia. Which is going to be comorbid with depression and maybe body dysmorphia.

Emotional cutting, not related. I don't think that CBT is the right answer here. I think awareness and direction on how to release emotion in a "healthier" way would be better.

Showing 31-45 of 46