ForumsThe TavernHow do you define a Zombie?

46 6489
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Ok this is something that gets to me sometimes and its how people define zombies and vampires because IMO I define a zombie as someone who has the uncontrollable urge to eat flesh this doesn't apply to cannibals because they choose to eat flesh.

I was wondering how everyone else defines a zombie because there is often arguments about this and if films like 28 days later classes as a zombie film or not let me know what you think.

• 46 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Which makes it more fun. Taking a realistic approach for zombies is boring, they're not going to last long that way, making it pointless to talk about...

Not really. A quarantine and a horde of mindless angry beings is still a serious matter.

In TWD they mentioned it's a virus, not magic.

''Zombies'' then.

How long do you think it would take them to deal with the spread? And if one of them is infected then goes back to their unit? You can't expect everyone to be honest about it, when it's shown to not have a cure and the only way is death.

Our health authorities are much more competent than they put up to be. Bird flu, swine flu, SARS, they were all contained well. Plus many countries already have biological or chemical weapons program, so you would think they know how to deal with it.

I would think a bite, and symptoms thereafter seem quite obvious, they always act like it's invisible in most zombie flicks. If a soldier seems delirious, I doubt they would leave him alone.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

A quarantine and a horde of mindless angry beings is still a serious matter.

Yeah, but if we take a realistic approach to zombies, it'd most likely be taken care of quickly. Movies make it more intense.
I would think a bite, and symptoms thereafter seem quite obvious, they always act like it's invisible in most zombie flicks. If a soldier seems delirious, I doubt they would leave him alone.

Maybe, but if everyone's resting, it's possible it could sneak up on them.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Read World War Z guys!

In this book, the Zombies start in china. As the Chinies authorities want to hide it, they give it enough time to grow almost unoticed so it can spread.
Thin about it, a zombie who wander around into a sub-urban place, or even a city can do some damage befor being terminated.

Ill make a little 'scene' -
lets imagaine a tourist who come to New-york. Back at his homeland, or even at the airport, a crazy Hobbo attacked him a bit, jsut a little scratch. He fly to New york. as he went into Coma, die and rise again, He will in best case scenario will bite a room keeper or a cleaner befor a police man will come and shot him. In worst case, he will bite enough peoples who try to struggle with him, when trying to move hi away from them. For an exmple, he will walk to the lobby, and start attacking the first man he see, on the staires. teh man will run away, after getting bite as it was a surprise attack, The other dude didnt expected that. Then, In the lobby, the bited man will yell "Here he is! he bite me!". A worker will walk up to him to see what is going on, try to talk to him. The ex-tourist will charge at him. 2 injured peopels so far. Some other workers, maybe even some other peoples at the hotler will try to struggel him down, so he wont run away befor the Polcie arrive. He will scratch or bite some other peopels. We have a minimum or 4 Injured peopels befor the autorities can even kick in. And by the time the Doctors will be able to see that something is wrong with there patients, they will attack other peoples too. In a hospital, they can Attack many harmless peopels befor security can arrive, and in some cases, as the security man will propebly want to capture the crazy man and not shot him, maybe even kill the security man and keep on the rampage.

And this is how an outbreak start. From there, As Infected peopels will run away, or even rise as zombies at sub urban places, they can travel to other places. Who will suspect that something is wierd for a man who just came from an Hospital being tired and wanting to sleep? A good night sleep of lets go wild 16 hours is so crazy? espeicely if it is a old guy. Then he go on.
The authorities will propebly deny it at the beggining, claim it is some other Diseases. maybe Rabies.

And which country will dare to say to the peopels "be carefull from crazy cannibals peopels"? which country will dare to move all the peoples to fortify places, wher an outbreak wont start? No one can control what come in and out of a city. There are so many peopels with scartches and bites who are not caused by zombies that you cant stop them all fro a "minor" thing like that. Its take shotung down all the cities and villages. Even years after, there can always be a Hilly billy zombey coming down from the mountains to flame it again.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

A zombie? Definetly not real...

But i define a zombie as a human being (or animal) that has died and has come alive again. They have to be somewhat evil imo though... This will never happen though... xD

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

zombie is just a revanent which means brought back from the dead originaly products of hoodoo though i do know that much

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

A zombie is nothing but an excuse to justify extreme violence on TV.
It's okay to blow up their head, roast them with a flamethrower, behead them with a machete, cut them to pieces with a machine gun, run them over with a vehicle, you know, the good stuff. xD
One time I slept about 10 hours in 6 days and I kind of felt like a zombie.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

A zombie is a creature that it's OK to kill in games like All We Need Is Brains. Don't know how they got there, but they are a clear and present danger and as such must be neutralised.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

xAyjAy, this is more of what the individual user thinks, their opinion. Not really what the wiki says... :P

i wanted to find out what the definition of a zombie could be before i threw my thoughts in this thread. i believe that a zombie is a death being that resurects itself (or gets resurected) who wants to eat flesh.
arcticwolf33
arcticwolf33
485 posts
Nomad

A zombie is just a person who has died then half come back to life. They cannot think or really do anything at will because they have been taken over by some evil spirit. They hardly look human cause they've already been partly decomposed (before they came back to life) and walk around slowly, eating people, are immune to pain, and have absolutely no self-preservation instinct. And they're extremely hard to kill.

Yakanuza
Yakanuza
18 posts
Nomad

Zombies are reanimated beings (nice one Daleks) that are cannibal and has unstoppable urge to eat human's guts for some reason. They should have a small bit of intelligence, as they prefer to attack in packs rather than alone and can differenciate a human from another zombie (I'm a Sherlock, I know).

Or they're just beings with a weird virus that makes it be wrathful and starving for any being. They should have some sort of smell that humans can't feel as they don't attack each other.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Zombies- People, with head injuries or people that have to take weird medication that make normally loud people walk around like they're high.

But zombie zombies? I say they're people that died, or got a disease, or were irrevocapably altered in some way so they are not as smart and have to eat things to stay alive.

yourawesomeness
yourawesomeness
103 posts
Peasant

anyone that goes to school
LOLZ!

Crazypizzaboy
Crazypizzaboy
15 posts
Shepherd

I believe the definition of Zombie is: [b] A reanimated corpse with a hunger for meat.

alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

I would just say a undead being.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

im thinking anything on its second life is a zombie.

this includes leftovers, my computer, AG, and probably most things on the walking dead.

Showing 31-45 of 46