Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Old Games vs New Games

Posted Nov 24, '12 at 3:11am

NotoriousJayy

NotoriousJayy

1 post

Old games vs new games. E.g the original zelda or mega man, vs things like black ops 2 .

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 2:49pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

I found that old games are more difficult then the newer games that come out, I dont really know if it's the difference in controls and aim assist that comes in the newer games sometimes, or just they toned down the difficulty.

I usually prefere the older games to the newer ones because I like the simpler graphics since they make for less of a distraction when playing he game.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 3:52pm

Crickster

Crickster

522 posts

dark souls is harder than old games

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 4:42pm

assarb1

assarb1

364 posts

Old games

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 9:14pm

JuicyFruits

JuicyFruits

171 posts

I usually prefere the older games to the newer ones because I like the simpler graphics since they make for less of a distraction when playing he game.

Same here. And some of the old games are better then new games.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 10:00pm

firedog12

firedog12

247 posts

Why are all of you talking about graphics? Video games are all about gameplay. It wasn't always about graphics in the olden days of video games. Yeah sure they used to say in the commercials that the game with the better graphics was the superior. Which they weren't. Well actually, scratch that. The majority of them were, but some were terrible. *cough *cough sega 32x *cough *cough. But really guys? You're saying retro games are better than newer games because the graphics are simpler and less distracting? Oh yeah in case you didn't know there were actually a lot of retro games that were extremely distracting with a million bullets flying in the air. (e.g. Contra for NES, Gunstar Heroes for Sega Genesis.) Not too many people really appreciate retro video games. (especially little kids) I think retro games, without a doubt, are much better than some of these newer games on that market. Retro games prove that a game doesn't have to complex to be perfect. Whenever you get the chance, play a retro game. You'll love it. I guarantee it.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 10:34pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

Why are all of you talking about graphics? Video games are all about gameplay

For me there's two different kinds of games I like, the ones I want to just play for the action and plot, and the other where I just wanna walk around and try out all the little cool things of the games engine and graphics.
  First thing I usually do when Im playing the game for the plot and action is tur down the graphics settings to the lowest possibe, why? because when you do that you don't have a bunch of little flying USELESS THINGS all over the place, instead you have the floor, walls, enemies, and the goal.

You're saying retro games are better than newer games because the graphics are simpler and less distracting?

Yea I actually am saying that.

Oh yeah in case you didn't know there were actually a lot of retro games that were extremely distracting with a million bullets flying in the air. (e.g. Contra for NES, Gunstar Heroes for Sega Genesis.)

You dont see the distraction the same way, in those games those "distractions" are actually bullets running at you, and in the case of contra, one bullet you touch and you die... so I dont count those as distractions.
What I count as distractions are little floating leaves in the air or lots of grass that can potentially hide someone or just in general auras and floating things that you can walk through and have no other purpose then making you go "cool".

Whenever you get the chance, play a retro game. You'll love it. I guarantee it.

Yea this is basicly glorifying retro games, there were some flop ones that I don't feel like listing here so as much as I like retro games, I wouldn't say that you would love every single one.

Posted Feb 12, '13 at 7:16pm

d_dude

d_dude

1,769 posts

I found that old games are more difficult then the newer games that come out, I dont really know if it's the difference in controls and aim assist that comes in the newer games sometimes, or just they toned down the difficulty.

It's because developers didn't have the same amount of data that they could put into a cartridge as they do now. So they made the games insanely difficult to make them last longer.

Posted Feb 14, '13 at 5:08am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,118 posts

Knight

It totally is fair to judge an entire generation of games with the next. Yeah.

Posted Feb 14, '13 at 10:33am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

the only sensable thing i can come up whit here. is that new games are easyer and more player friendly then they were in the old days.
whit many old games you can be proud of youself for beating the game after sometimes months of playing. the new games try to give that same feeling by handing out achievements, trophies or whatever they are called. but they all can be beaten in just +/- a week.

i liked the challenge of old games better.

Reply to Old Games vs New Games

You must be logged in to post a reply!