ForumsThe TavernTechnology moving too fast!?

14 3727
MalKeshar
MalKeshar
115 posts
Jester

Hey, I personally feel as though our technology is moving too fast! We have phones that do more than laptops, the Ipad and Kindle Fire, consoles that do more than computers, and even robots to do our fighting!!
Does anyone else agree with me? My school is awed by Ipads and so many people are getting them, but they will soon be outdated and no longer cared about once the "Ipad 2" comes out. (No clue if thats what it wil be called). Once you turn your brand new computer on, almost half your programs become outdated. I feel we need to slow up how much our technology is becoming because we are becoming dependent on it. People complain if Google.com takes longer than a nanosecond to load... We are too reliant of our gadgets and electronics.
Who all agrees or disagrees with me on how fast our tech. is developing? I do not mind if you counter my points or even make fun of or laugh. I'm interested to know how everyone feels.

• 14 Replies
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I don't believe it's moving too fast, on the contrary, I believe it is moving too slowly. I understand what you are saying though, but what you give examples too are simple innovations, expanding on what already is. Actual inventions are rare to come by now and they take years of fixing before they can be released to the public. But even being allowed to improve something is a hard enough level to obtain because a lot of people nowadays fear technology, the repercussions, or that it has questionable ethics or ways to learn the technology in question.

That being said, the rate of scientific progress increases exponentially, so the idea of it being slowed down is very unlikely, unless of course we end up killing ourselves in the process.

My school is awed by Ipads and so many people are getting them, but they will soon be outdated and no longer cared about once the "Ipad 2" comes out.

Ipad 2 is already out, and has been for a while.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It is true that technology is advancing fast, at least in the computer technologies, which mostly gamers experience with the increasing games quality.

However, I also think that part of it is a marketing strategy of Appel and consorts, as they make us buying new stuff and appropriate gadgets frequently, at least if you want to stay top-notch.
Another side of this is that yes, many new gadgets are coming out, but they're not necessarily that much better. They have many new fancy functions, but my old Nokia 6310i still packs quite a punch comapred to all that new stuff, as well physically as relating to battery lifetime.

Lastly, let's not forget that what we see in everyday technology is only a part. Research usually uses much more performing computers for the heavy calculation part, and I think this, as well as the technology used in labs, is needed.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

We have phones that do more than laptops,

Only if you have a really crappy laptop and a high end phone.

consoles that do more than computers

Same thing with the phones.

I feel we need to slow up how much our technology is becoming because we are becoming dependent on it.

I'm not seeing how slowing technological development will change how much we use it.

People complain if Google.com takes longer than a nanosecond to load...

And those people are impatient. So what?

I don't see anything wrong with the mass use of technology, but some people probably take it too far. A elementary school child does not need an iPhone, nor should anyone need to pull out their phone to do simple math.

Technology is a tool, and people abusing it isn't the fault of the technology. What we really need are people to be more mature about things and think rationally instead of getting swept up by marketing ads and social hype.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Phones....that do more than laptops.....Consoles....that do more than computers.....Yeah I disagree.

We are also at least 700 years behind schedule of technological growth due to, uhm...scientific restraints.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

We are also at least 700 years behind schedule of technological growth due to, uhm...scientific restraints.

So..what you are telling me is that I should have my **** teleporter but can't because of these "restraints"?!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Kind of reminds me of the Multiverse episode of Family Guy. Hehe.
letsgome_gome
letsgome_gome
752 posts
Nomad

well I think we are going to fast because I have so many out dated stuff at my house, and guess what, I only bought the stuff last year!!!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's only outdated because we think we need new shiny equipment. 2GB Ram is still decent, if not sufficient for one.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I can personally say that I'm sick of tablets. I most definitely prefer using a computer because it is capable of so much more and even costs less. What is one thing ipads can do that computers don't? I don't understand the fascination with them.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

What is one thing ipads can do that computers don't? I don't understand the fascination with them.

I don't need to put it on my lap in the car or on the train.
letsgome_gome
letsgome_gome
752 posts
Nomad

It's only outdated because we think we need new shiny equipment. 2GB Ram is still decent, if not sufficient for one.

yes, all of the old stuff is still good, I do not see why they call it junk a week after it comes out.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

yes, all of the old stuff is still good, I do not see why they call it junk a week after it comes out.

Marketing, fashion, social status, convenience. People want the newer stuff "because they can". But certain organisms like transport companies for example still buy the old stuff for their drivers, because 1) some old cell phones are way sturdier, and 2) they offer no or minimal distraction (you don't want your trucker playing around on a tablet).

So in some way, I guess only certain parts of technology are advancing depending on the public demand? Which may be one reason why Frank meant that it is advancing too slowly, as it could be faster.
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

I agree!its moving really fast and I really don't like it. Everyone has all these tablets,smart phones,game consoles,and like everything they could ever want and complain its not enough.Everything always has to be on technology.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

It's moving to fast for my wallet, that's for sure. On the other hand, space travel is moving at a snails pace. We reached the moon in 69, and then what?

Car technology is moving slow, motors haven't really improved on the most important thing. Fuel efficieny.

What I'm saying is, computer technology is steadily improving, but everything else could move faster.

Showing 1-14 of 14