ForumsWEPRGun control in the US

1089 400549
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Discuss. General Tavern rules apply. (No mudslinging, be respectful, etc.)
I'll open with the statement that people should not have guns. No one at all, except the armed forces, and even then, keep the guns on the bases. Cops should carry riot shields and armor instead of guns. If they need crowd control, use Water Cannons.
Supporting evidence: the following skit:
What's your reason?
Setting: A gun shop, modern day.
A Customer walks into the gun shop and asks the Shopkeeper, "Hi, i'd like to buy a gun please."
The Shopkeeper pulls out an application form and asks the customer "Alright, what's your reason for wanting to buy a gun?"
The Customer says "I need one for personal protection."
The Shopkeeper nods. "I have just the thing for you, I guarantee you cannot get any more personal protection than this baby right here. What i'm about to show you offers so much protection, it can stop a shotgun shell."
The customer, very interested, stares at a full-size Riot Shield, the kind the police use. He scoffs. "That's not what I want, I want a gun!"
The Shopkeeper shrugs. "Are you sure? This fine piece of equipment will protect you more than a gun ever will! It's very strong, reinforced titanium and kevlar..." by now, the angry Customer has left.
Later, another Customer enters. "Hi, I need a gun."
Again, the Shopkeeper clicks his pen and pulls out an application form. "For what reason?" he asks.
The Customer hesitates, than says "Hunting."
The shopkeeper smiles. "Of course! I love to hunt. Hunting is a wonderful sport. I guarantee that this item will give you the maximum amount of satisfaction you can ever get from hunting! Here, this is the sport at its peak." And he pulls out a Crossbow, complete with crosshairs for better accuracy.
The customer shakes his head. "No, I want a gun." he states.
The shopkeeper reluctantly puts away the Crossbow. "Are you sure? With a gun, it's so...boring, just pulling a trigger. And it's unfair to the animal, with this you give the deer a chance and have to chase it for up to an hour, just like the Native Americans did back in the day! Unless of course..." He fails to finish his sentence, as the pissed off customer has left in a huff.
Later, a third customer walks in. "Hi, I'd like to buy a gun." he says.
The shopkeeper holds his pen at the ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
The customer glares. "I dont need a reason, read the god **** second amendment "THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS." It's in the constitution you idiot!
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "Of course, I have the perfect thing for you. This gun is covered under Second Amendment laws, guaranteed!" And he holds up a 200-year-old, civil-war-era musket, complete with rusty bayonet.
The customer shrieks. "No, man! I want a Glock, a shotgun, something better than that civil war crap!"
The shopkeeper merely smiles. "I'm sorry sir, please come back when they update the second amendment to include those types of guns. Here, i'll even give you a discount..." the shopkeeper holds out a discount to the enraged customer, who tears it in half and leaves.
Fourthly, another Customer walks in. "I really need a gun, now." He says.
The Shopkeeper holds his pen and application form ready. "For what reason, sir?" he asks.
Instead of stating his reason this time, the Customer snatches the application form and looks at it. There, in the spot titled "Reasons" is a circle for "other".
"Other! That's my reason!" the Customer declares triumphantly.
The shopkeeper shrugs. "Very good answer sir." he says, while pressing a button under the counter. Two cops arrive at the shop in less than a minute and cuff the Customer.
"Hey! What the *PROFANITY* ARE YOU *PROFANITY* GUYS DOING? I'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!" He yells, almost breaking the glass of the windows.
"Actually, you have." The Shopkeeper begins. "the "other" reason, by exclusion of the other reason, can only include wanting to kill or rob someone. Therefore, you were thinking about commiting a crime when you selected "Other" as your reason. Caught you red-handed, trying to buy the tools necessary to commiting a crime. You confessed to it when you selected "Other"! Take him downtown, please." The cops nod and take the Customer away. The last thing he hears from the Shopkeeper is "Oh, and I knew it was you all those times!"

Moral of the story: You do NOT need a gun for a particular activity. In any given activity (And I challenge you to give me a valid, legal activity for which you would need to personally own a gun), there are many other options. Why buy a gun for personal protection when a Riot Shield blocks shotgun shells? Why buy a gun for hunting when the point of hunting (and every other sport) is satisfaction, and since you get more satisfaction with more challenge, and since a crossbow offers more challenge than a gun, you'll get more satisfaction with the crossbow. Why buy a gun based on the Second Amendment when the Colonial-age guns were either giant cannons or black-powder, muzzle-loading Muskets? Did the Founding Fathers have AR-15's, and SPAZ-12 shotguns,And AK 47s, not to mention all the accessories like laser scopes and hollow-point bullets? I dont think so!

The only way you can disprove my argument is to give me a valid, LEGAL activity which requires you to personally own a gun. This excludes Skeet-shooting, because the facility can and should/will provide the gun. Until anyone can do that, YOU DONT NEED A GUN, NO ONE NEEDS GUNS! They're WAY too dangerous and make it too easy to kill someone! Why have something you dont need?

• 1,089 Replies
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Lets just put it on again - these things are meant to kill peoples. KILL.
These are not toys, and no one should use them, other then governments organizations, in which they are under the suprevision of some other offices.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Lets just put it on again - these things are meant to kill peoples. KILL.
These are not toys, and no one should use them, other then governments organizations, in which they are under the suprevision of some other offices.

they can be allowed for protection, hunting and sport.
-protection: https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1381387_307247706081133_1752312802_n.jpg is not true.
but if you live in the nowhere of alaska for example. with bears and such all around you. then it's exceptional you want to defend yourself if needed. (so not a small towns or big city's that animals mostly stay away from) but of course is some big machine gun way to much.
-hunting: if you live as remote as the example above. then it's exceptional that you hunt your own meat instead of driving miles and miles to the nearest store.
-sport: it can be enjoyable to shoot a gun. so that it is a sport is logical. and if you shoot only for the sport then thats fine.
however what is the sport in shooting a machine gun? the sport is hitting the target. a sports gun looks nowhere like a m-16, ak-47 or whatever gun. they are overpowered bb guns. with like a million settings for different distances and such. much more like a sports bow then a gun. that is what the actual sport is about. and those guns can be very well regulated. you have to be registered to a shooting club and your gun has to be store in your personal locker in a room in the clubhouse that will be locked after the day is over..

so, gun regulation/control is not banning guns. it's banning guns for those that dont need them. and if you want to play the sport or have a other good reason why you should have a gun. then we can look what we can do for you. i.e. are your reasons good enough? and can you proof your cause for them. if so, then we can allow it.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Guns are not sport. Driving a tank can also be fun. Or exploding things. Should we let peoples get these stuff?
I say no.

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

South Dakota rep wants to give teachers guns
Yeeeeehaw! Just to rub it in, I'm gonna quote.

Drenner, an instructor at several colleges, said she was concerned about the impact on potential confrontations with angry students, recalling on Friday how a student once screamed at her for mispronouncing his name.

"If he had a gun, the outcome could have been much different," Drenner said.

Because pointing a gun at a student for screaming at you is a great idea, right? Right?
Also, it's not like you people are ever going to kill anyone. Someone went on about how "if you were mugged, you could shoot the mugger". Things like this annoy me, because:
a). Muggers tend to be better at killing people than twats who think they can get away with murdering someone for nicking a wallet
b). That would be homicide, or possibly just assault if you're a bad shot.
c). Remember that study, with the marines? The one where only 20% or something could pluck up the courage to actually shoot someone, rather than just spray and pray? Those were marines, you're a normal person.
And no, guns are not for sport. Nor for protection. You want protection? Get a burglar alarm. A hunting rifle, I guess, is okay. But...
-hunting: if you live as remote as the example above. then it's exceptional that you hunt your own meat instead of driving miles and miles to the nearest store.

You have clearly never even killed a chicken. You do not go out and hunt wild buffalo. You know why? BECAUSE IF YOU ANNOY A BUFFALO, IT WILL IMPALE YOU. IF YOU ANNOY A HERD OF BUFFALO, IT IS TIME TO CALL THE FUNERAL DIRECTOR.
Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

And by "you won't kill anyone", I mean that a gun is almost useless to you because you lack the willpower to use it. It's not the same for a desperate, poor nutjob who will starve without your wallet.

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

If the Government succeeds in restricting guns, the criminals that are already breaking the law are NOT going to walk over and hand their guns to the government. Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Since when is restriction to gun availability for regular citizen supposed to apply for criminals?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Since when is restriction to gun availability for regular citizen supposed to apply for criminals?

You know those gun lovers sees enemies and criminals everywhere anyway so...
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

You want protection? Get a burglar alarm.

And wait 20 minutes for emergency services and law enforcement to maybe show up at the right house to investigate your brutal murder. Unless, of course, the police are the ones breaking in.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

And wait 20 minutes for emergency services and law enforcement to maybe show up at the right house to investigate your brutal murder.

There will only be a murder if you try to interfere with the burglary. Best/safest thing is still to notify the police and stay silent.

Unless your police is so mediocre as you make it sound.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

What do you prefer, to be angry at someone or to blow his guts?

How USA will look if every time a person feel threat he "stand his ground"? Student, costumers and patient dead all over the place?

Gun kill peoples. Thats it. Guns are killing machine. They are the power of the government. The police have guns for reason. You are not a cop, nor a judge or an executiner. Who are you to choose who is gonna live and who dont?!

And wher are all these armed gangs of bandits who make neighbrhoods battlefields agaisnt the poor house owner who protect there property?
Does property count more then human life?

rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

Gun kill peoples. Thats it. Guns are killing machine.

Ask a gun to kill someone. It's not going to happen. Now, If you pick that gun up, point it at someone and pull the trigger now you have killed someone using a gun.

As to burglary...
A thief is not that courageous as you might think. If a burglar breaks into my home, I know the one thing that will send him right back outside: The sound of me loading a 12 Gauge shotgun.

There will only be a murder if you try to interfere with the burglary.

You do realize that if someone breaks into your house or is holding you at gunpoint, you can kill them in self defense? It isn't Murder, which is a crime punishable to a life in prison.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

There will only be a murder if you try to interfere with the burglary.

Except it's not always a burglary. A rare example, but what if you're targeted? Or they attack first to show they're serious? Perhaps they want to rape/torture/kill your family at random just because they can. You don't know their motives.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Ask a gun to kill someone. It's not going to happen. Now, If you pick that gun up, point it at someone and pull the trigger now you have killed someone using a gun.

Guns make people kill people. The study I posted before evidenced that the availability of guns does have an impact on suicide rates. I am ready to wager it also counts for homicide rates.

You do realize that if someone breaks into your house or is holding you at gunpoint, you can kill them in self defense? It isn't Murder, which is a crime punishable to a life in prison.

You do realise that due to reasons someone stated on the previous page, trying to shoot the one holding you at gunpoint is most likely suicide, or even harmful for your entire family?

Except it's not always a burglary.

Yeah but in the cases it's not, I would assume you don't have much chance anyway. People have been surprised in their sleep, how do you fight back when you were just woken up by a guy with a gun? Such cases are always tragic but I would challenge the usefulness of a gun safely stored somewhere in the house/room in such cases.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

So now you are the lonely ranger? Defending your house from waves of random maniac torturers? What is it, Clockwork orange?!

You have seen waaaaay too many movies dear friend.
In my entire life here in Israel there was no case of it. And whena burgler entered my house my dad jist grabed a hockey stick (we sell them) and yelled, and all the three(!!!) Ran away.
Should he shoot them (If he had a gun)?

Long story short - no Apachee are going to assault your wagon gov'ner.

Showing 856-870 of 1089