ForumsGamesAssassin's Creed III general discussion

87 15050
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

This is a general discussion thread for the last installment of the Assassin's Creed series. My general opinion about this game is mediocre, but I've played it enough to support my view. I was hoping to discuss with anyone about this game and since there was no thread about it, you can post here now.

What do you like and don't like in this game?

• 87 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

waiting for the price to drop.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Assassin's Creed III was incredible, or at least it was for me.

The storyline was long, meaty, and highly replayable. The fact that it takes you through the lives of so many of Desmond's ancestors is outright cool. You get to learn about Conner's world from the perspective of his enemy right from the start of the game. The little bits and pieces of the storyline that most people missed made my jaw drop. All of those little tidbits Ubisoft put in were so cool. I mean, you meet Ben Franklin on your first day in Boston, and the game shows his strange obsession of perversion, which is something he actually had, but is overlooked by so many people. While playing in one of the last missions as Haytham, you break into a British fort and are able to overhear a conversation from Washington. Wow! They really made the history come alive with this story, but it seems like very few people appreciate it. The opening scenes with Conner were a little lackluster, but got a bit faster once he was actually able to do cool stuff.

The combat kept me on the edge of my seat. The 3-enemy triangle formation was something very unique to the series, and the fact that I could attack two enemies at once was unbelievable. Almost like a good action move I'd be attack by an enemy on either side, then I could roll out of the way and the enemies would comically miss and attack each other. I mean, could you get anymore ninja-like? I couldn't help but feel random jumps in the enemies' strength. One minute I'd be knocking down hordes of British soldiers, while the next vigilantes would be handing my butt to me. It seemed like there was no warning - all of a sudden stronger guys popped out of nowhere somewhere along the storyline. I wish I had a little more customization with my weapons, and maybe a little more variety, but the hidden blades kept me satisfied with their ever-awesomeness.

The graphics won an award for being most lifelike. 'Nuff said.

The sound won an award for being most lifelike. 'Nuff said.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Beat it, don't like the endings of these games. The gameplay is innovate and amazing (except for Revelations), but their endings are always so vague.

There should also be more stuff to get on Uplay, I only saw four things you could get from playing points, in the others there were more options.

Getting on the multiplayer right now.

While playing in one of the last missions as Haytham

How'd you get to play as Haytham?
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

The sound won an award for being most lifelike

I'm sorry, what?

I can't hear you, I'm listening to Journeys' soundtrack, you know, the one that was nominated for a Grammy.

Anyways, ACIII didn't feel like a real Assassin's Creed to me, quite possibly due to the fact that I spent too much time as the "always charismatic" Ezio Auditore.

In all seriousness, though, the combat felt way too easy, and you don't see much growth in Connor. He's already able to take out a few guys in the beginning with no training, he (and Achilles) already knows that he's the son of a Master Templar (which could've served as a good plot point for Connor to make a decision), and he already has an in-built sense of right and wrong. Not just that, but it feels completely useless to buy weapons because of how OP you already are.

At least, with Ezio, we saw him go from Vengeance and Hatred to Duty. Something that actually pushed the plot for him. And he even learns things throughout his journey.

And Desmond's story was terrible, I was prepared to play a larger bulk of the game as him than ever, becoming a Modern Age Master Assassin, and instead, we can three missions that don't last longer than a few minutes, and it even breaks the flow of the game, coming from 16th Century Colonial America to Modern Time, then quickly going back.

And the story all together seems so tacked on. It's like Connor was put into specific set-pieces in history just because it would seem cool for action, it flowed a lot better when you were playing as Ezio. At least the reason why he would go everywhere was actually clear and understandable. And some parts in ACIII don't even make sense. At one point, you're in the frontier, and Haytham tells you to meet him in New York before he vanishes without saying where. Then, you just happen to go there and know where to meet him, and make a plan on the spot and do it.

And the ending feels so wrong, like there's so many plot points just rushed in there to make the player feel way more confused than usual.
kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

I have to say I liked Haytham way more than Connor and when he reaveled what side he was on I did not see it coming.I played multiplayer and I think its just the same old thing with a few new gametypes.My favorite thing to do as Connor is hunting as it feels good and rewarding when you sneak up on some animals.I thought the combat was way easy.Despite of all AC3 Flaws it was one of my favorites.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

How'd you get to play as Haytham?

The very beginning of the game...?

I have to admit, I've never played ASII, so I seem to be missing out on all of these "Ezio was better" comments. I do find it hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it and buy it soon.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Oh, I thought you meant near the end of the whole game, not his story. I didn't hear/see George Washington at all while playing as Haytham though.

I have to admit, I've never played ASII, so I seem to be missing out on all of these "Ezio was better" comments. I do find it hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it and buy it soon.

AC2 and Brotherhood had some great things they should've brought back in AC3, a bit disappointing that they didn't, but AC3 is still good overall. You'll see what I mean when you play it.

As for him being better, there was more/better character development.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I didn't hear/see George Washington at all while playing as Haytham though.

The British king, not the general. I suppose it gets a bit confusing considering they have the same name and were bitter enemies.

As for him being better, there was more/better character development.

I thought Conner's subtle naivete made him a phenomenal character. You really had to read in between the lines to understand some of the hidden meanings, but it was a brilliant foreshadowing tool.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

AC3 is nice, but I feel like AC2 and Brotherhood had more to offer.

- Several lengthy cave/dungeon/church/etc missions with puzzles/complex obstacles
- Leonardo da Vinci/cool inventions
- Armor/more outfits
- Better and varied weapons
- Able to reconstruct the city; buy stores, liberate ones near Templars, buy monuments
- Better way of handling assassin recruits/assassination contracts/etc

I was recently doing some of the "myth" stories in AC3, and I'm so disappointed. I was very excited to hear about the Kraken, then 10 minutes later... old man in suit. Then I went onto Bigfoot, 5 minutes later... bearded man in cave. They could've done so much more with this and made it extremely fun.

As for the assassin related things, I still only have that French guy as an assassin. How do you get more? I've done a few missions, doesn't seem like he changes appearance. A great thing about AC2/Brotherhood was that they would move up with rank and it'd show on their clothes, plus you could edit so much of their stuff.
Contracts, don't really understand. I have to walk up to certain people in cities and they tell me what to do, then the assassination itself is so short. In the others you'd have a big list of things you could do, and the assassinations were much more complex.

The weapons, it doesn't seem like I have to change many of them. From the store, the only one I changed was the tomahawk to the shiny dagger. The other weapons I have are better than the ones in store, so no point. I have a sword that I don't remember buying, and it outclasses all the other swords. This pistol I got from a mission and it outclasses all the other pistols. Heavy weapons are worse than my sword... and there are so few of each.

Does the health regenerate? Parts of my screen are cut off so I'm not sure, but I don't remember ever seeing a doctor or having to use medicine, so it must regenerate. Feels... too easy. I looked forward to getting money and upgrading armor in previous titles, but in this money doesn't do much of anything. Since the weapons you get are all powerful, the only use is to replenish arrows/ammo and buy maps.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

- Leonardo da Vinci/cool inventions

Just remembered, there's Benjamin Franklin, but he only appears twice I think. They could've used him as the inventor.

Also, I think I remember while playing as Haytham Franklin said to collect all the Almanac pages then go back to that shop, but is he still there? I haven't collected them all yet, only have about ~10. What happens when you get them all?
kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

As for the assassin related things, I still only have that French guy as an assassin. How do you get more? I've done a few missions, doesn't seem like he changes appearance. A great thing about AC2/Brotherhood was that they would move up with rank and it'd show on their clothes, plus you could edit so much of their stuff.

This was very dissapointing I got the french guy up to the Assassin rank and I don't think he even got robes.You get more by liberating areas in Boston and New York.

I just finished the game today and I have to say they are the worlds longest credits.I got so annoyed I rage quit the credits.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Actually, I don't know about the credits but I think this game has far too many bugs left behind. It's gotta be the buggiest game I've ever played. I had to tail a templar at a point but he stuck and just kept moving around in small circles. I even had seen something totally weird. When i pressed the button to perform a ledge assassination with Haytham once, I was immediately desynchronized with the camera showing the sky and Haytham's body midair. I even had Connor get stuck in the "falling" stance and not being able to move. These things really got on my nerves.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

They rank up when you use them to assassinate or riot. If they're successful, they earn XP. You can get more by liberating Templar forts... which is surprisingly easy.

Contracts, don't really understand. I have to walk up to certain people in cities and they tell me what to do, then the assassination itself is so short. In the others you'd have a big list of things you could do, and the assassinations were much more complex.

They get a bit more complex as you do more. You also receive about a dozen at a time.

The weapons, it doesn't seem like I have to change many of them. From the store, the only one I changed was the tomahawk to the shiny dagger. The other weapons I have are better than the ones in store, so no point. I have a sword that I don't remember buying, and it outclasses all the other swords. This pistol I got from a mission and it outclasses all the other pistols. Heavy weapons are worse than my sword... and there are so few of each.

Yeah, weapons are fairly limited. The ones that seem cool are far worse than the ones you already have. The sword you don't remember is a cutlass - an officer's sword that you automatically keep when you kill an officer and pick up his sword. It's the best in the game, despite it being extremely easy to get. It has better stats than even the hidden blades.

Does the health regenerate? Parts of my screen are cut off so I'm not sure, but I don't remember ever seeing a doctor or having to use medicine, so it must regenerate. Feels... too easy. I looked forward to getting money and upgrading armor in previous titles, but in this money doesn't do much of anything. Since the weapons you get are all powerful, the only use is to replenish arrows/ammo and buy map

The health regenerates almost instantly once you go incognito or avoid damage for a few seconds. But yeah, if you get low on health and run away for a few seconds you can kill any size group. It's abusive.

I don't like the money system either. Apparently you're supposed to use it to upgrade your homestead, but it feels kind of pointless. The homestead offers nothing but a little time to blow off.

Just remembered, there's Benjamin Franklin, but he only appears twice I think. They could've used him as the inventor.

They do.

Also, I think I remember while playing as Haytham Franklin said to collect all the Almanac pages then go back to that shop, but is he still there? I haven't collected them all yet, only have about ~10. What happens when you get them all?

He's still there. I think you get an achievement and a whole bunch of money, or something like that.

Actually, I don't know about the credits but I think this game has far too many bugs left behind. It's gotta be the buggiest game I've ever played. I had to tail a templar at a point but he stuck and just kept moving around in small circles. I even had seen something totally weird. When i pressed the button to perform a ledge assassination with Haytham once, I was immediately desynchronized with the camera showing the sky and Haytham's body midair. I even had Connor get stuck in the "falling" stance and not being able to move. These things really got on my nerves.

Ever play Red Dead Redemption? That game had bugs intentionally put in for the player's humor. They're funny bugs, but it's still full of them.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

don't remember

*don't remember buying
kevinhex
kevinhex
17 posts
Nomad

They could have used more Leonardo da Vinci

Showing 1-15 of 87