ForumsWEPRIs it OK to teach evolution in public schools?

364 121117
shortstopkid123
shortstopkid123
20 posts
Nomad

Many parents argue about schools teaching evolution. Creationalists do not support or believe in the theory of evolution. It goes against their beliefs. They do not believe it should be taught because it apposes many peoples' beliefs. Do you think that it should be taught?

Notes:
Lets try not point out certain religions. I am saying creationalists for a reason.

• 364 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Biology can be taught without using evolution's principles, but it wouldn't be very practical.

if you dont go in the history and only stay in the present. i dont see why evolution would have a meaning in it.

i mean... to understand what a flower is and how it works. or to know how a human body works, you dont need evolution.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

This has got to be the weakest debate I've ever seen.

You can only have a legitimate debate when two or more sides have somewhat equal standing. If there's not, all it comes down to is acknowledgements of validity from one side to another or misrepresentation of stances.

if you dont go in the history and only stay in the present. i dont see why evolution would have a meaning in it.

i mean... to understand what a flower is and how it works. or to know how a human body works, you dont need evolution.

Except that many of the "whys" and "hows" come from evolutionary theory.

To understand what a flower is, sure, you can just look at all the parts that are there. However, that's only skimming the surface.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

However, that's only skimming the surface.

1st year biology is like this right?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

1st year biology is like this right?

What they teach you in biology is basically the following.

-There's something called the Theory of Evolution that someone named Darwin proposed.
-Classification of organisms.
-What natural selection is.
-Basic structure of plant/animal cells.
-Basic functioning of cells.

They don't really go into depth on any of the subjects...
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I am a Muslim hailing from Pakistan and I was taught Evolution as a theory in my biology class.
I don't see any point in not teaching it.
If you consider your faith weak and fragile as such, maybe you should change it to a stronger one.
To quote a personal friend of mine

I find your lack of faith, disturbing.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

What they teach you in biology is basically the following.

thats not what i had to start whit. except the function of cells part.
but then there is the point that we didn't had all the info back then.

and doesn't sexual education fall in the 1st year anymore? the sooner the better, in my opinion.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I think hereditary stuff is taught first year, but that's it for sex stuff.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

what? not how a penis and vagina work? what happens during sex and what can lead from it? no info on safe sex? etc. etc.

the hereditary stuff do not fall under sexual education in my books.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

That's taught during middle school nowadays. The education is still being done.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

It is not a fact and therefor should not be treated as such like it is. Only facts should be taught, the facts of it should be while the guess work shouldn't be or if it is it should be clearly stated that they aren't facts by any means. Since there is much debate on creation Vs evolution being taught then it should be as unbiased as possible teaching that which is fact and making sure that theories are understood to be nothing more than theories.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

what? not how a penis and vagina work? what happens during sex and what can lead from it? no info on safe sex? etc. etc.

For my school..that is taught during anatomy and physiology.

Then..there is "The Movie" usually shown sometime in late elementary school
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

It is not a fact and therefor should not be treated as such like it is.

Evolution -is- a fact.

Only facts should be taught, the facts of it should be while the guess work shouldn't be

Please give us some examples of said "guesswork."

it should be clearly stated that they aren't facts by any means.

Except, again, what is being taught are facts.

making sure that theories are understood to be nothing more than theories.

A scientific theory isn't the same as some theory a random person makes up.

Anyone who says "nothing more than theories" doesn't understand that a theory is the highest things go in science. Theories describe processes. They are not "guesses." Some parts may be inaccurate, and if they are they are revised when found, but the entire idea itself is basically indisputable.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

It is not a fact and therefor should not be treated as such like it is. Only facts should be taught, the facts of it should be while the guess work shouldn't be or if it is it should be clearly stated that they aren't facts by any means. Since there is much debate on creation Vs evolution being taught then it should be as unbiased as possible teaching that which is fact and making sure that theories are understood to be nothing more than theories.

Theory is, as Kasic said, the highest things go in science. Also, considering how long the theory has survived, I kinda think the scientists are trusting it more then the idea that everything was made in a week. Face it, every biologist uses evolutionary ideas in his/her work, and though certain parts of evolution might be wrong (not much to go wrong, it's basically the idea that animals and other living things can change due to the environment to suit) the basic idea behind it is indefatigable.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

You would be getting a rather incomplete picture by not including it. For instance with your example of how the human body works. Some aspect such as vestigial features aren't going to make much sense without including a reference to evolution.

If you consider your faith weak and fragile as such, maybe you should change it to a stronger one.
To quote a personal friend of mine

[quote] I find your lack of faith, disturbing.
[/quote]

You're friends with Darth Vader?

That s for a science class. The study of heredity in biology is genetics.

It is not a fact and therefor should not be treated as such like it is.

Yes it is. It's both fact and theory.
Evolution: Fact and Theory

Since there is much debate on creation Vs evolution being taught then it should be as unbiased as possible teaching that which is fact and making sure that theories are understood to be nothing more than theories.

This debate is only on a general public level, there is no real debate in the scientific community.
Creationism is nothing but biased.
A theory is the highest thing you can have in science as it offers explanation for the facts.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

You would be getting a rather incomplete picture by not including it. For instance with your example of how the human body works. Some aspect such as vestigial features aren't going to make much sense without including a reference to evolution.

vestigial features have lost all or almost all their functions. they are not really needed when you explain how a body works.
only exception i can think of is the appendix. and our body still works whitout it tho.
Showing 76-90 of 364