Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Biblical Morality (or Religious Morality)

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 2:53am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

it's guidelines for if you should have slaves.

Which means that the Bible does not consider slavery to be inherently wrong.

He reason he was going to sacrifice him is because he had faith in God that he wouldn't tell him to do anything wrong and because he was promised a great nation through his son and believed that God would raise him from the dead.

Still doesn't change the fact that Abraham is praised for that he was actually going to kill his Son. Even if God stopped him, this is almost a literal comparison to shoving someone off a cliff edge and then catching them right before they fall.

"Sin cannot be forgiven without the shedding of blood"

...this doesn't seem like a problem to you? An all loving, all powerful god can't forgive sin without someone bleeding?

The rapist would be forced to take care of the victim, making sure she is provided for, sounds like a punishment to me.

Find me a **** victim who wants to spend the rest of their life married to their rapist, and I'll refer than woman to a therapist.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 3:03am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

Which means that the Bible does not consider slavery to be inherently wrong.

Of course not. That would undermine God's authority as mankind's master, which would, in turn, break down God's angelic hierarchy, which would mean Lucifer was right to defy God.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 3:05am

BigP08

BigP08

1,431 posts

The rapist would be forced to take care of the victim, making sure she is provided for, sounds like a punishment to me.

The victim is being punished ten times worse than the rapist. I would want to kill myself if I had to be "provided for" and, more importantly, subservient to, someone who ***** me.

And they are. That's the scary part.

Have to agree with you there. I think, though, that those that kind of half-heartedly believe this might think secondly when they see the implicaitons of such a belief. It's why I don't buy it when Christians try to prove God through the argument of there being an absolute morality that God provides.

...this doesn't seem like a problem to you? An all loving, all powerful god can't forgive sin without someone bleeding?

Exactly what I was thinking. God's making the rules of the game so why do all of them require blood and gore, torture and ****?

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 3:09am

BigP08

BigP08

1,431 posts

Some argue that the sorcerers/diviners/psychics were really being aided by demons for their powers. Even if that wasn't the case and they had no assistance, they were usurping God's authority by claiming to have knowledge/power that only He had.

****, I keep forgetting one last point. I guess so, but I guess my point was that death and suffering in general should never have been in this God's character unless he's the most erratic being ever, going from pure evil to halfway decent from then to now.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 3:41am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,277 posts

To add on to what others said...according to the passage, if the woman and the rapist do not marry..then the father must stone her to death.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 3:57am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

I don't buy it when Christians try to prove God through the argument of there being an absolute morality that God provides.

Most religions have some way of saying "follow these rules to prosper", such as the eightfold path. Nearly all religions each claim to have the only correct set of rules/guidelines, as they all stem from someone's/something's views of right and wrong.

that those that kind of half-heartedly believe this might think secondly when they see the implicaitons of such a belief.

Some (myself included) do realize how screwed up it is, but half-heartedness is about on the same level as sin, or at the very least, shameful.They're told to put their lives fully into serving God [Deuteronomy 6:5]. . Anything less is like a disappointment to Him.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 7:48am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

They're told to put their lives fully into serving God [Deuteronomy 6:5]. . Anything less is like a disappointment to Him.

what happened to free will?

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 9:47am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,188 posts

Got a source? Why would they use the same word as the one used to mean visually, such as in His laws against carved images? Why wouldn't the words say "spiritual likeness"?

whole bunch of comparisons, and that is what I have been taught in my religious education.

Find me a **** victim who wants to spend the rest of their life married to their rapist, and I'll refer than woman to a therapist.

Who said they had to live together, they wouldn't have to look at each other, the rapist would just have to make sure she is cared for (and any children that may have resulted).

note, I am just theorizing.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 11:55am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Who said they had to live together, they wouldn't have to look at each other, the rapist would just have to make sure she is cared for (and any children that may have resulted).

You can try and pseudo excuse it, but the text in the Bible explicitly says marry. Marriage implies living together. Further, marriage implies dominance over the woman at that period of time.

Posted Jan 10, '13 at 12:47pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

whole bunch of comparisons, and that is what I have been taught in my religious education.

From your own link:
"It is a likeness mentally, morally, and socially."

Reply to Biblical Morality (or Religious Morality)

You must be logged in to post a reply!