ForumsWEPRboy scouts and their antigay campaign

116 45906
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

I am a boyscout, however i hate their antigay policy i was wondering if any other scouts wanted to weigh in on this

• 116 Replies
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Let's think about this gays+boy scouts= lawsuits it's not rocket science

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

gays+boy scouts= lawsuits

*Child molesters of any sexual orientation + children = lawsuits. Gays have always been banned from boy scouts. Doesn't stop incidents.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

*Child molesters of any sexual orientation + children = lawsuits. Gays have always been banned from boy scouts. Doesn't stop incidents.

Amazing. It took two whole posts to revert back to the start.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Some body maybe some kid says something to another kid and oh boy surprise surprise somebody gets offended thats what I meant by the way still not rocket science.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Some body maybe some kid says something to another kid and oh boy surprise surprise somebody gets offended thats what I meant by the way still not rocket science.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea! Let's separate everyone who has stereotypical and discriminatory views to other people, but let's make it so that only those they're discriminating against are separated. Yeah, that's fair. Since there's more people discriminating than being discriminated against. Yup.

No. If a kid "says something to another kid and oh boy surprise surprise somebody gets offended," that's an issue of discrimination.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

If a kid "says something to another kid and oh boy surprise surprise somebody gets offended," that's an issue of discrimination.

I don't think you even need to go to discrimination for that. I would tend to agree with Stephen Fry (assuming he did say this, I can't find a credible source):
"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more... it's simply a whine. It's no more than a whine. 'I find that offense,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so ****ing what?"

While I wouldn't disagree with someone who got offended by someone deliberately trying to offend them, when they are offended by who or what a person is they are the ones in the wrong.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

While I wouldn't disagree with someone who got offended by someone deliberately trying to offend them, when they are offended by who or what a person is they are the ones in the wrong.

Of course. Getting offended because someone does something is entirely different than being offended because someone is some way. I was going from the assumption that samiel meant someone getting offended because another person found out they were a homosexual, and thus gave that as an 'obvious' reason as to why homosexuals shouldn't be in scouts. Because bigots are offended by them.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I don't think you even need to go to discrimination for that. I would tend to agree with Stephen Fry (assuming he did say this, I can't find a credible source):
"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more... it's simply a whine. It's no more than a whine. 'I find that offense,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so ****ing what?"

That is actualy one of my favorite quotes byt the way you probably couldn't tell but I had a bit of an angry sarcastic tone in mind

as to why homosexuals shouldn't be in scouts. Because bigots are offended by them.

piss off the bigots and everyone suffers just a little history leason keep in mind I don't like this at all I feel sorry for those children who can't be in the boy scouts but all I can do here is state facts such as the one above and in my first comment
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I don't like this at all I feel sorry for those children who can't be in the boy scouts

Then stop advocating discriminatory policies. People stop discriminating when they actually learn that the people they're discriminating against aren't lesser/evil/what they thought. By not allowed homosexuals into boy scouts, all that does is perpetuate the stereotype.

all I can do here is state facts such as the one above and in my first comment

You didn't really state any facts. All you did was say things should stay the same because some problems will probably occur at first.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

[/quote]Then stop advocating discriminatory policies.

I don't believe I ever said I was.
[quote]You didn't really state any facts. All you did was say things should stay the same because some problems will probably occur at first.

I don't believe I said they should stay the same either did I?
Anyway my point is bigots will cause problems people get sued people get hurt and a bunch of other things I don't want things to stay the same things suck homosexuals are discremanated against and a BUNCH!!! of other stuff I don't want to get into but back to my point the boyscouts would have to carefully craft safety nets against lawsuits and other such nasty things and it would probably take like 5 years to initiate and they would still be forced to suffer bigotry.One more thing Kasic don't misunderstand what i say please?
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Odd I think I messed up my post sorry folks let me try again

Then stop advocating discriminatory policies.

I don't believe I ever said I was.
You didn't really state any facts. All you did was say things should stay the same because some problems will probably occur at first.

I don't believe I said they should stay the same either did I?
Anyway my point is bigots will cause problems people get sued people get hurt and a bunch of other things I don't want things to stay the same things suck homosexuals are discremanated against and a BUNCH!!! of other stuff I don't want to get into but back to my point the boyscouts would have to carefully craft safety nets against lawsuits and other such nasty things and it would probably take like 5 years to initiate and they would still be forced to suffer bigotry.One more thing Kasic don't misunderstand what i say please?
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

the boyscouts would have to carefully craft safety nets against lawsuits and other such nasty things and it would probably take like 5 years to initiate and they would still be forced to suffer bigotry.

I personally think they would/should be having more lawsuits against them for banning homosexual people from joining boy scouts. So they'll be around other boys doing boy scout things. What's the problem there? Something homosexual will happen between 2 boys? That could happen anyway boy scouts or not, so should we separate them from the rest of society??? Banning them just becuase of their sexual orientation is a load of bull. They are just like us, so why the hell should we treat them so differently?
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

I was going from the assumption that samiel meant someone getting offended because another person found out they were a homosexual, and thus gave that as an 'obvious' reason as to why homosexuals shouldn't be in scouts. Because bigots are offended by them.

It seems I shouldn't post late at night(even though I'm doing that again. The part after the quote in my last post wasn't actually the point I was trying to make, I forgot that part it seems.

What I was originally going for was that someone who is offended by who or what someone is, and says/does something about should even be labeled a bigot or the act called discrimination. Not including people with power to effect others(government, companies, etc.) such people should be completely ignored, on that topic anyways. Maybe not totally ignored, the first time or two someone should definitely try to point out their error, but if they keep going then they should be ignored. As Stephen Fry said, its just a whine with no meaning or purpose, and should thus be ignored. Once upon a time I would have agreed that its discrimination and they are bigots, but that just gives them attention they don't deserve.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

And so my late night mistakes strike again, sorry for the double post.

something about should even be labeled

Should say " something about it shouldn't even be labeled".
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I personally think they would/should be having more lawsuits against them for banning homosexual people from joining boy scouts.

Lawsuits are extreme. They are not illegal. Although most of us here agree that this policy is totally out of step with today's world, as a group, the boy scouts are allowed (unfortunately) to "choose" their members. They have chosen to put sexuality into that matter. I think they are retarded to say the least, but unless an effective way can be found, this policy is untouchable by regular people like us.

They are just like us, so why the hell should we treat them so differently?

They are like us. But not like the people who hate them and treat them differently.
Showing 61-75 of 116