Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

suicide

Posted Feb 19, '13 at 7:29pm

arkaninerenegade

arkaninerenegade

835 posts

You have never been in a suicidal state of mind. As I have said before, please do not act as if you know, because you don't. You think you're better than they are and think they're weak, when all you're doing is being ignorant.
Most people commit suicide because of some sort of sever trauma in there lives. I have had severe trauma in my life, my never for a moment considered killing myself.

Posted Feb 19, '13 at 7:30pm

arkaninerenegade

arkaninerenegade

835 posts

You have never been in a suicidal state of mind. As I have said before, please do not act as if you know, because you don't. You think you're better than they are and think they're weak, when all you're doing is being ignorant.
Most people commit suicide because of some sort of sever trauma in there lives. I have had severe trauma in my life, my never for a moment considered killing myself.

Posted Feb 19, '13 at 7:55pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

I have had severe trauma in my life, my never for a moment considered killing myself.

That's great. Now, if you'll refer back to here...

"Depression is a mental illness, it is distinctly different from being sad or making hard decisions."

Read this.

People who commit suicide aren't weak. They're sick. You're only making the problems worse by perpetuating the idea that people who feel bad are weak and just need to tough it out.

Posted Feb 19, '13 at 8:11pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

653 posts

You fail to understand what depression is and is not. It is not a simple case of "Woe is me". It is not a problem of "getting motivated". As Kasic mentioned, depression is a disease, it is not a symptom . Mental disease is not simply willed away by being a strong individual. Depression has all the capacity in the world to rob you of the ability to lead a normal life. If you have not struggled with depression before, you just simply do not understand. When people tell you to "Lighten up" or to "Keep your chin up" it is means nothing. The notion that suicide is weak is extremely indicative of ignorance, and quite frankly, it is insulting.

Most people? I do not believe that for an instant. I'll say this once again: Depression does not stem from a set of bad circumstances. It is a disease.

Posted Feb 19, '13 at 10:41pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

If Kasic's post wasn't enough..then read mine as well. You may have had trauma..but you can't compare yours to what theirs is. You don't know how it affected them

Posted Feb 19, '13 at 10:51pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,805 posts

Knight

Most people? I do not believe that for an instant. I'll say this once again: Depression does not stem from a set of bad circumstances. It is a disease.

Everybody has different thresholds of trauma they are capable of dealing with.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 7:38am

Squidbears

Squidbears

653 posts

Everybody has different thresholds of trauma they are capable of dealing with.

Absolutely, but do you honestly believe that most cases of suicide stem from some unfortunate circumstance? I am inclined to believe that most cases of suicide stem from mental illness.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 12:11pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

but do you honestly believe that most cases of suicide stem from some unfortunate circumstance?

I think negative circumstances enhance and perpetuate the problem, possibly to that point. If the person doesn't perceive a negative situation, what are they trying to escape from?

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 12:21pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

653 posts

Negative circumstances can definitely enhance and perpetuate problems, particularly if someone has pre-existing mental issues, but I do not believe that such a circumstance would drive someone to suicide unless it broke them, and as Mage said, everybody has different thresholds of trauma they are capable of dealing with. I find it difficult to assume that most people who have committed suicide did so because a negative circumstance broke them.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 12:49pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

a negative circumstance broke them.

Not necessarily a single event, but often a continuous series, possibly over years depending on the person.

Reply to suicide

You must be logged in to post a reply!