ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 82067
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well, idk what you mean by this. As far as I know is that pagans used brute force. All of those christians which were martyred in the Roman Empire, fed to lions. So hopefully you're referring to them. Aside from a few foolish exceptions, like bloody Mary, Christians wouldn't kill those who didn't convert, they would only try to convert them.

Actually Christians have a rich history of using force to convert the masses. I believe the Crusades had many such examples..will have to find sources for this.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Well, idk what you mean by this. As far as I know is that pagans used brute force. All of those christians which were martyred in the Roman Empire, fed to lions. So hopefully you're referring to them. Aside from a few foolish exceptions, like bloody Mary, Christians wouldn't kill those who didn't convert, they would only try to convert them.

I don't like giving examples from too far back in the past, because of varying degrees of moral standards of the times, and because these killings are as much for ecclesiastical as well as political reasons. But there are plenty if you want them. The Jewish community as a whole remains a prominent example. When they were forced to convert to Christianity in Spain for instance, they were still persecuted, and to a certain extent, even more so when they were still Jewish. The Cathars of France too. Early Frankish killings of Germanic and Eastern Slav tribes for refusing conversion. Prussian resistance against the Holy Orders sent to kill them. The Reformation?

Whilst it is easy to deny that the above examples were the result of purely religious reasons, and that they were done as such religious difference coincided with more earthly concerns and divides, it is equally valid to list them as factors that stirred conflict. Fear of other religion tends to breed mistrust, which when sparked, will lead to violence.

I'm done for now.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Quick question. If you do not trust your religion will work out, why do you believe in it?

i said the same thing myself. you know, id like to believe that god is a much nicer logical being then what is taught in most religions. if god hasnt come to tell us what the real religion is then i dont think religion is important.

im religious but no, believing in god or a religion isnt important at all. i dont believe god throws people to hell because he is childish and is mad for them not believing in him without getting proof.

just because people stop believe in a religion doesnt mean the god will disapear (if he exists). as far as we know the real god is one of a religion that already has died or a religion that was never created. he is just logical enough to not care what we humans believe in.

and for the "no real catholic" comment. it actually has nothing to do with what you believe is a catholic. if you believe in allah and the kuran your a muslim, whether you break the laws or not. ive seen so many (this site too) that say someone isnt part of their religion because they give it a bad name.

just because your catholic doesnt make you pure and just because that person isnt like you doesnt make him non-catholic. what you say has the same weight against what he says and he can just as easy call you a fake catholic too for being different then him.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

If you know you are generalizing, why do you do it regardless, without any manner of support to back up your argument?

I know we've said this to you before, but just to reiterate, it really does the human brain wonders if you research what you want to argue before you actually post.

Research, as in with .edu and .gov extensions. These are the scientific articles which back up their theses with sources and relevant data (hint: they actually have doctors who kinda know what they are talking about).

Don't patronize me, im not stupid, i just have trouble finding things thst arent .com.

I don't like giving examples from too far back in the past, because of varying degrees of moral standards of the times, and because these killings are as much for ecclesiastical as well as political reasons. But there are plenty if you want them. The Jewish community as a whole remains a prominent example. When they were forced to convert to Christianity in Spain for instance, they were still persecuted, and to a certain extent, even more so when they were still Jewish. The Cathars of France too. Early Frankish killings of Germanic and Eastern Slav tribes for refusing conversion. Prussian resistance against the Holy Orders sent to kill them. The Reformation?

Whilst it is easy to deny that the above examples were the result of purely religious reasons, and that they were done as such religious difference coincided with more earthly concerns and divides, it is equally valid to list them as factors that stirred conflict. Fear of other religion tends to breed mistrust, which when sparked, will lead to violence.

There was a website, not sure if it was a .gov or .edu, but it seemed legit, and it talked about something i tried explaining before, but now i cant find it. But it stated that in the bible, during the babylonian captivity, Samaritans moved into the holy land, and when the jews returned, they mixed. Those who mixed were looked down upon. They called them children of the devil. These are the jews we know today. Christ even said they were the children of the devil, look up John 8-44 i believe. And these examples you're giving are strictly through migration/war. It's not domestic, like the French Revolution.

No every GOOD catholic(is a dead one jk) is one that's saying how great their religion is but being modest and humble about it.

I agree, but he's not defending his faith, he's attacking it, and saying it wont last.

I don't know where but yeah, he takes it very seriously.

XD thats actually pretty neat.

Ahem... so you allow slavery, rape for 50 bucks to the girls father and never divorcing her or do you follow the cherry pickers bible?(note in bible or check out jacylnglenn's channel for info).They probally did a survey so they just asked people not the church.

I had to get this out of my system.

You don't think I've heard everything from like the biggest atheist in the world yet? Slavery? Well, up till the civil war, everybody allowed slavery, the church doesn't now, as well as the state, so stop making irrelevant statements. I dont know what rape you're referring to, cuz i know 'bucks' weren't around in the bible, so if it's a present day event, please explain. And I don't know why you had to get THAT out of ur system so badly XD

Actually Christians have a rich history of using force to convert the masses. I believe the Crusades had many such examples..will have to find sources for this.

You guys never stop missing the point. The crusades was a war to take back what was theirs. It wasn't murdering people in you own society because they didnt believe what u did.

Dark ages such well either death or be COMPLETE JERKS to every non catholic.

Trying to convert them when they have the upper hand? let me ask you a question. If you had a group of people, and they were all saying that 1 + 1 = 3, would you try to correct them to believe what EVERYBODY else believes?

Is it somehow demonizing to be realistic that maybe a population of religious people is decreasing over time?

Christianity (Protestants and Catholics) is bigger than Catholicism (Traditional and New Order) which is much bigger than mine which is only Traditional. There are only 3 places I can go to mass in my state.

Exactly. Whatever future civilization that replaces us will most likely have their own religion to replace ours, just as we have done to the people before us.

Maybe, if they come from outer space, which doesn't exist. XD jkjk

Why I believe isn't the question. The question is will future civilizations believe it, and I doubt it. I am religious, sure, but I'm also realistic and anyone with knowledge of history would have to agree.

The same thing that kept them believing for the past 2000 years.
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

You don't think I've heard everything from like the biggest atheist in the world yet? Slavery? Well, up till the civil war, everybody allowed slavery, the church doesn't now, as well as the state, so stop making irrelevant statements. I dont know what rape you're referring to, cuz i know 'bucks' weren't around in the bible, so if it's a present day event, please explain. And I don't know why you had to get THAT out of ur system so badly XD

1. So their going back on the bible? (just in the bible not gospel it pretty much says you slave any person that is not jewish)
2. 50 silver pieces or like that sorry(it's on jacylnglenn's channel depp down there leviticus i think but i may be wrong it might be something else)
3. it's just my way of responding.

Maybe, if they come from outer space, which doesn't exist. XD jkjk

Good thing you said jkjk or people would have to point out EVERY SINGLE PROOF.

The same thing that kept them believing for the past 2000 years.

Being myths and no real evidence?

I agree, but he's not defending his faith, he's attacking it, and saying it wont last.

He's being realistic and not let religion crowd his head so much he won't look at reason.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

1. So their going back on the bible? (just in the bible not gospel it pretty much says you slave any person that is not jewish)

Slaves weren't treated badly. Slavery wasn't thought to be wrong back then. You guys keep saying things were different back then, well, there's one way.

2. 50 silver pieces or like that sorry(it's on jacylnglenn's channel depp down there leviticus i think but i may be wrong it might be something else)

And did u exaggerate or did he literally pay him to rape her?

Good thing you said jkjk or people would have to point out EVERY SINGLE PROOF.

I dont remember u too well, but maybe u remember me, and if so, you'd know i really dont believe in a limitless space. But i said jkjk just to keep u guys on subject, cuz its an arguement for another day.

Being myths and no real evidence?

First of all, it depends what u mean by 'real' evidence. Just because YOU haven't seen it, does that mean it doesn't exist? I haven't seen mars, but does that mean it doesn't exist? Scientists say they have rovers there, and pictures, well, are they real? This may be news to you, but e live on faith in others.

He's being realistic and not let religion crowd his head so much he won't look at reason.

Yes, but he's saying he's catholic, but he's already went against two doctrines, which makes him a heretic, and not christian. Even If he believes in God, he's not catholic. He can consider himself protestant, if ANYTHING.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Yes, but he's saying he's catholic, but he's already went against two doctrines, which makes him a heretic, and not christian. Even If he believes in God, he's not catholic. He can consider himself protestant, if ANYTHING.

No... I consider myself catholic, because I am and I don't believe you have the power to dictate whether or not I am. And what is this second doctrine you speak of? All I did was simply state that religions fall over time, and this suddenly makes me protestant? I have my own ideas but that doesn't mean I don't believe in God. You are criticizing me because I think that other people, who are not me and who I will never know, will not be christian. The fact that I am an individual and I have my own ideas does not alter my religion whatsoever. I'm under the impression that I have no say over what other people do, that is their business and this includes these future people with a potentially different religion. I clearly see that over time, religions change and other die or become far less popular, and this means I'm not Catholic?
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

3-No forceful conversions,most Christians live and maintained good relations with majority or minority people.,

The Jews, other pagan stuff norse slavic tengri etc, and muslims have something to say about that.

7-There is no single word bad in The Holy Bible about other religion or killing other people on the basis of religion.,

Let's go to 1 myth story noah's ark murdering millions of people because they are wicked/other religion.

1-Basically Christianity is a peaceful ,raised when son of gave his life for others not by killing others.,

The son of god is god by the holy trininty so by that god is dead but i guess logic doesn't exist in religion MOST of the time.

now on to knightDeclan

In a way soo if you rape her you have to pay 50 silver pieces to the father of that girl and you can't divorce her ever.

First of all, it depends what u mean by 'real' evidence. Just because YOU haven't seen it, does that mean it doesn't exist? I haven't seen mars, but does that mean it doesn't exist? Scientists say they have rovers there, and pictures, well, are they real? This may be news to you, but e live on faith in others.

Being that the bible has no real evidence for all i know it's aliens making us worship them and sent an alien down scientifically cloaked as a human male to spread the word of "god". Mars and moon stuff are more recent and have rocks, dust, etc pieces of evidence to show including on going tests and exploration now your proof bones of saints, 2 books, and splinters of wood a guy died on! (so much evidence right *sarcastic tone for the excitement*)

Slaves weren't treated badly. Slavery wasn't thought to be wrong back then. You guys keep saying things were different back then, well, there's one way

Proof?

Are you a priest,Bishop,cardinal,pope because you don't have the authority to do that.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

This is digressing quickly. Maybe we should bring back the T&A thread.

i just have trouble finding things thst arent .com.

You can put site:.edu or site:.gov after your query to limit the results.

(just in the bible not gospel it pretty much says you slave any person that is not jewish)

And if they are Jewish bond slaves (like paying a debt) they're freed every 7th year. But if their master gave them an enslaved wife, the man could decide to stay with her and remain as the master's property for life.

Slaves weren't treated badly.

Exodus 21:20-21, You can beat your slave without penalty as long as they don't die for a day or two.

Slavery wasn't thought to be wrong back then.

Even God didn't think it was wrong back then (see Lev 25:45-46), and never stated that it's wrong to own another human as property for life now.

50 silver pieces or like that sorry

50 shekels (weight of about 8g) of silver, each would be roughly $5 in today's market.

Deuteronomy 22:29. If a man rapes an unmarried virgin girl who isn't betrothed and gets caught, then he pays her dad 50 silver shekels and she becomes his wife for life.

Let's go to 1 myth story noah's ark murdering millions of people because they are wicked/other religion.

Not the best example, because that's God doing stuff, not the people crusading or God ordering people to kill. That's mainly in Joshua and Judges.
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Not the best example, because that's God doing stuff, not the people crusading or God ordering people to kill. That's mainly in Joshua and Judges.

Yeah I couldn't think on that one
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

You can put site:.edu or site:.gov after your query to limit the results.

Ah, thanks.

Deuteronomy 22:29. If a man rapes an unmarried virgin girl who isn't betrothed and gets caught, then he pays her dad 50 silver shekels and she becomes his wife for life.

Rape?! Who said rape. In the first bibles, non-modern revisions, it says, 'He that lay with her shall give to the father of the maid fifty sides of silver, and shall have her to wife, because he hath humbled her: he may not put her away all the days of his life.'
Who says she's unwilling. It's quite fair because it wont cause problems if she has a baby and that bby will need two parents.

Exodus 21:20-21, You can beat your slave without penalty as long as they don't die for a day or two.

Not worded correctly, but still, you can punish things you own, just like your children, but u cant kill them.

The son of god is god by the holy trininty so by that god is dead but i guess logic doesn't exist in religion MOST of the time.

Again, you must've missed something. First of all, yes christ is God, but when we say God, we refer to all 3 together, or just the father, even though they're all equal. And Christ rose from the dead after 3 days. Logic is limited to what we can do and know. We dont have God logic, so dont try to understand His works.
In a way soo if you rape her you have to pay 50 silver pieces to the father of that girl and you can't divorce her ever.

If u dont love her, dont touch her.
Are you a priest,Bishop,cardinal,pope because you don't have the authority to do that.

No, but every catholic knows that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

There was a website, not sure if it was a .gov or .edu, but it seemed legit, and it talked about something i tried explaining before, but now i cant find it. But it stated that in the bible, during the babylonian captivity, Samaritans moved into the holy land, and when the jews returned, they mixed. Those who mixed were looked down upon. They called them children of the devil. These are the jews we know today. Christ even said they were the children of the devil, look up John 8-44 i believe.

A set of belief that denotes an entire group of people as the spawn of a supernatural villain is one that no one should take seriously. It smacks of pure baloney and bigotry.

And these examples you're giving are strictly through migration/war. It's not domestic, like the French Revolution.

I have two problems with this rather flat response. One, you have gone into absolutely no detail in your obtuse dismissal. This would serve only to highlight your callowness and incomprehension of such historical facts. Secondly, apart from many of these events being external conflicts between inter-state parties (Such as the Reformation), a domestic conflict sparked off by religion, and one whereby Christians forcefully converted a population, is still a conflict. Whether it is a domestic ''issue'' or not, matters not.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Why I believe isn't the question. The question is will future civilizations believe it, and I doubt it. I am religious, sure, but I'm also realistic and anyone with knowledge of history would have to agree.

My point is still standing. Why would anyone believe in something that he/she also believes will fade with time?
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

My point is still standing. Why would anyone believe in something that he/she also believes will fade with time?

Because non-religious people aren't exactly dying to become Christian. Why would a new civilization believe in the religions of old? I don't think it will die out completely, however it is very possible that something overtakes it. I am simply accepting the inevitable, that does not alter my beliefs.
And besides... everything fades in time, nilo. That was deep.
No, but every catholic knows that.

He says as he ignores my points entirely. You do not get to decide who is catholic and who is not.
And I'm still here, so that means the statement I quoted above is still false.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

You dont get it bro. I dont make those rules! The pope did, and if you dont agree with the pope, u cant be part of what he rules.

Showing 181-195 of 213