ForumsWEPRSpontaneous Human Combustion

72 17877
EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

Well I was watching a TV show in The National Geographic Channel and it was about people trying to prove if Spontaneous Human Combustion is Real or Not and to tell you the truth I think it's fake, people suddenly bursting into flames for no reason it's all fake well that's just what I think.

What do you think is it real or not.

• 72 Replies
eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

One of my life goals/dreams has always been and will always be to watch someone spontaneously combust. No joke since i first heard the idea it has been one of my top 5 dreams in life to watch it happen. And as such, i will continue to believe its true *shuts eyes, covers ears, and starts singing, "la, la, la,lalalalalaalalaaaala"

LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

JUST LIKE THE 3rd DRUMMER IN SPINAL TAP!!!
(no one will ever get that joke...)

No because to SPONTANEOUSLY Combust you need your organs to all combust at the same time. and since fire is external and your organs are Internal then it will never happen.

Bigbowla
Bigbowla
17 posts
Nomad

I have heard about this many times, and to prove it to me, I will need to see video proof of it to believe this. People have tried to prove it before and the people they said did, caught on fire natural ways.

-Bigbowla

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I do not know. I have never heard of this and i thought that it was real, until LordBob stated the obvious which made me say "oh...yeah...duh:.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Actually, I think this is possible if your in sapce w/o a suit because in space there is no air pressure so your face goes like flubbery crap, so they need to put articifical PSI onboard to make sure that you dont combust, except they were suits just incase xD. But out in space w/o a suit, you would burn/freeze (depending on where you are) and combust. Lol, space is amazing.

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Oh, also have the oxygen sucked out of you in about 10-15 seconds.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@ Lord Bob- I get, just so you know the title is not "Spinal Tap" it is "This is Spinal Tap."

Cows have been known to spontaneously explode. They eat certain types of grasses that cause their stomachs to bloat with methane which will explode if it gets hot enough.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I got the This is Spinal Tap joke. I believe Guitar Hero II also references it :P

Hm, 'explode' and 'catch fire' are different things here. I'm not sure the oxygen:methane ratio in a cow's stomach would ever be aerobic enough for an explosion, so much as getting BBQ'd from the inside! Still very ow.

As for humans "spontaeneously combusting", by definition that phrase and most people's interpretation of it is a violation of thermodynamics and is technically impossible.

Combustion is the exothermic reaction of specifically bursting into flame, so even in an environment with no atmospheric pressure, you might, in a way, explode, but this is in no way going to sufficiently reduce the activation energy required to surpass flash point and 'combust'.

Which I think is all very reassuring, to be honest!

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

This happened to me before. Even though it is physically impossible to combust out of nowhere due to the first law of thermal dynamics. Without a cause this is physically impossible. If you guys are saying that somehow your in space and the heat combust you, it's not spontaneous, the heat caused it. This is all assuming we all are considering spontaneous as 'spawning from nowhere' and not just starting a the combustion out of nowhere. Seriously, it did happen to me before!

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I have heard of some stories about it however because it is so rare i doubt a scientist will ever be on hand to witness it and even then he would get burned to cinders. Apparently the flames are so hot they can burn through floors.

J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Omg I know! and im getting prepared for Y3K! I was in a bomb shelter last time!

bazc0p
bazc0p
3 posts
Nomad

i dont think its real i meen people suddenly exploding thats just in games

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Oh yeah, theres no debate, people really do ignite randomly. Its only about a 1 in 3 million chance, so i can just about gaurantee no one here will, But it happens. A simple mix of bodily chemicals, friction, heat, and some flammable things are what cause it. You could spray yourself with some Insect reppelent when you're camping, and then get touched by a loose spark, and you'd be a human torch in no time. It'd take more than the usual amount of insect repellent of course, but it'd happen. There was s case of an overweight lady tripping on a lamp cord, and the light bulb broke on her back, and then she combusted. her body fat, the heat of the element and the wool of her sweater, as well as some static did it that time. It isn't so spontaneous as it is unlucky, but its real alright

J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Spontaneous Human Combustion is selectly exploding from a buildup of methane and a fever. It's a farce though 'cause it ain't happen like that.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Ugh, I don't even want to know...

Showing 1-15 of 72