ForumsThe TavernWhat is your IQ?

37 7702
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

is it normal for a kid with IQ of 130? I am that kid, and I'm not joking! pls. paste comments

• 37 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

According to Wikipedia, the average IQ is between 70-130, so you're good man. (Don't think that being smart makes you different. Just means you're smarter then most.)

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

According to Wikipedia, the average IQ is between 70-130, so you're good man. (Don't think that being smart makes you different. Just means you're smarter then most.)

1) The average IQ is 100.
2) A standard deviation is 15 points in either direction.
3) ~95%% of all people fall into two standard deviations.

Wikipedia

Honestly, the only times I've ever heard people talking about what their IQ is, is when they're trying to brag about it. Which is what I'm seeing here as well.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

1) The average IQ is 100.
2) A standard deviation is 15 points in either direction.
3) ~95%% of all people fall into two standard deviations.

That doesn't say much more then what I said... I don't think you needed to clarify.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

That doesn't say much more then what I said... I don't think you needed to clarify.

It wasn't a clarification, only an elucidation
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Honestly, the only times I've ever heard people talking about what their IQ is, is when they're trying to brag about it. Which is what I'm seeing here as well.

^This

Just because you have a high IQ, doesn't mean that you will necessarily utilize it. (From you comment..it seems you might not be doing so..)
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Also, stay away from R2D21999 (Rule 9)

This is not in the newcomers thread. I have no effect in the Tavern.

Anyways he could be just lying about his IQ. Not saying that he is, but over the Internet its hard to tell a lie to what's not.
Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

I believe a kid with an IQ of 130 is normal they understand thing better than other people but I knew alot of people with brains as kids

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

but he's being rather humble about it

I think we have different definitions of humble

He created a thread about himself and his IQ..he asserts that he may have knowledge of it being extraordinary (is it normal for a kid with IQ of 130? I am that kid, and I'm not joking!) and in a way that he knows it to be "impressive"..and then asks for people to post and discuss about his IQ
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I believe a kid with an IQ of 130 is normal

No it's not. 130 is at the very edge of the second deviation. Basically, higher than ~94% of all people.

For a reference, around 110-120 is considered "gifted" and anything beyond that is rare. Mental retardation used to be classified at around 80 I believe...

Anyways, "genius" is usually considered around 140-180.

Yay moar Wiki

From you comment..it seems you might not be doing so..)

Most IQ tests are given in elementary school when a child is clearly understand/ahead of the material/bored in class. That's anywhere from 7-11 years old usually. I suspect he falls into this age range.

I think we have different definitions of humble

He's not being all that bad about it, rather, he probably just got the results back and is excited. (I've already pegged him as a ~10 year old.)

I've never directly been told what the results of my IQ tests were...my parents always were vague about it and I've never had the urge to go directly ask now that I'm an adult. Maybe I'll see if I can't dig it up...
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I agree on the OP maker probably feeling surprised, happy and excited about getting good results from a recent IQ test, so let's keep an open mind about the topic, shall we?

And albeit a bit of a conflict with the rules about threads that are about a particular person here, let's keep this one open for now (topic title has been changed for beneficial purpose) and see if the discussion can evolve and turn into a general one about IQ and related topics.

If it should fall back into the discussion about a single user's IQ again, we will lock it. =)

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Then I'll throw out a few questions before I go to bed.

1) Do you think that children should be told the results of their IQ tests? (examples of reasons for/against: It might lead to bragging/it could encourage them.)
2) How much stock should be put in IQ tests? There are always those cultural differences and it's not a direct predictor anyways. Yet there are strong correlations to academic achievement and IQ.
3) Have you ever taken an IQ test? Was it one of those dopey ones online that want $5 for the results to be sent, or was it an actual one which you may have requested or been mandated to take?

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

1) It has it's pro's and con's, much like you already inserted into that question there... children who would have low self-esteem could very well flourish after hearing their good results, but also (if their character provides) start to brag about it. All of these character traits are established at a young age if you ask me.

Opposed to the good, would be the bad reaction of course. Children who felt confident could turn and become angry towards the world or become self-centered after hearing the results.

But seeing as I'm a positive minded person, I will always side with the 'why not tell them' choice here. Only thing schools and parents (whomever tells the child) need to look out for is that they guide the child with the result and make sure they understand what it is and how to deal with it. =)

2) You mean, how much data and how many questions should be stuffed in a single test? Hmmm... difficult to say if you ask me. I clearly remember having a problem with those really long tests which had a bulk load of questions when I was a student back in the days.
I do think they make tests too extensive sometimes, which is bad for the outcome of it. I bet if they were to divide a huge test into 2 or maybe 3 parts, the students would have a better result for not being overwhelmed and pounded with questions.

3) I clearly remember having taken an IQ test when I was 10/11 years old. It was a mandate one for determinating what exact direction and level of education you would continue to follow after that point. I can't remember the exact results anymore (as in IQ), but I do remember my teacher telling my parents and me that "the boy is very smart and has a lot of potential, but what's in there (*pointed at mah brainz*) simply won't come out." Heh... =P

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Actually it does, but only if you understand what Standard Deviation means.

Those doctors in white lab coats used to think I was "special" I was a toddler.

But then I did some "special schooling" of some sort and then after that I think they then said "whoa, actually he's special".

Yeah I think that explains a lot. But I suspect if I sat an IQ test I would struggle a bit. Adults tend to focus more on information synthesis than unidimensional processing.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i dont get the feeling he lies. more like him taking a random iq test on the internet and actually getting it. how accurate are they? i have no idea.

i remember at 7th grade i was really bored and made me and all my friends take an iq test i found online. i remember getting 127. personally i found it awsome... but again, i doubt its a profesional test.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

1) Do you think that children should be told the results of their IQ tests? (examples of reasons for/against: It might lead to bragging/it could encourage them.)
2) How much stock should be put in IQ tests? There are always those cultural differences and it's not a direct predictor anyways. Yet there are strong correlations to academic achievement and IQ.
3) Have you ever taken an IQ test? Was it one of those dopey ones online that want $5 for the results to be sent, or was it an actual one which you may have requested or been mandated to take?

1) Well... depends (as has been mentioned). They'll eventually know things like their SAT score (or equivalent) and be able to engage in such *ahem* measuring contests anyway.

2) VERY LITTLE. There are lots and lots of problems with these tests, perhaps most notably (along with the SAT here) their predisposition towards a particular social class and whatnot. A lot of the questions involve terminology that some people associate with intelligence, but really is just associated with being raised in a certain environment (as you said). Its hard to say how much bias there is in these tests. Sure, you can correlate IQ with success, but you can also correlate the social environment you grew up in with success. Lots of complicating factors here. Also, scores vary quite a bit when retaking the test (with an alternate version, of course). So, there seems to be some luck involved.

3) I had to take an IQ test to see if I could get into a "gifted" program in elementary school. The results were in the low infinities, if I remember correctly.
Showing 1-15 of 37