ForumsWEPRMental Retardation

26 6901
EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

There's a lot of people who who have sufferd from brain injury and are now mentally impaired but do you think they will ever recover and some are even born mentally impaired.

What do you think will they recover from mental impaired to being normal.

• 26 Replies
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Well I belive that it all depends on how serouse the problem is. I mean if it was you know not that big, or olny a minor problem, then they might have more of a chace or there chances increase of recovery. But then again you never know, I mean people have survived poles throught there heads, so yeah, it may depend, im my humble opinion.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Like "B|AzE" said, it depends on how severe it is. If it is minor, i am sure scientists will make breakthroughs that can fix it.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Yeah, Blaze is right. It depends on the severity of the mental retardation and what it is caused by.

It would be rare for someone with bad mental retardation at birth to recover from it since the brain had never properly developed.

However, someone who has been in an accident and got brain damage may recover, it depends on how their brain adapts or regrows....

KingRyan

soakerman
soakerman
658 posts
Nomad

I agree with Blaze

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Blaze does have a point about how serious it is, but it also depends on the rehibilitation after the surgery. If you are just sitting around playing on AG, then I am not sure how much that would help the returning to normalness (Hehe, I made a word XP)

If that specific person is going to the doctor regularly, and you are getting treatment, then you may have a better chance of recovery. Man, we need Strop on this. This is like his life!

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

couldn't you use stem cells to like re-grow parts of an undeveloped brain or something to help a person? they created rat hearts or something using stem cells I think, although the operation would be pretty though to do. i'm not sure either.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

couldn't you use stem cells to like re-grow parts of an undeveloped brain or something to help a person? they created rat hearts

Well Im not sure but I heard that this is in the "development" stage, meaning that it works sometimes well with animals or more likely being tested with animals first! So right now I don't think they have something "big" to just work like that.

Also that would be great but yeah like I said I don't think they have this for every single problem, I mean I heard it there working on it, so it's mabey olny working with SOME or a few animals olny?
boalx
boalx
74 posts
Nomad

maybe they could create something like in flowers for algernon but instead it would be permenant

DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Sometimes in the mental-hospitals, when the patients are going crazy and the meds aren't doing their job, they do this surgery to cut out a part of their brain to make them permanently retarded, the don't do it anymore though, it was the front-right part of the brain if I recall correctly.

Anyhow, My friends Dad is a person that takes poles/tree limbs/etc. Out of peoples heads and necks, and so the first night he was hired there were 3 injured people all from the same car, they had a piece of car stuck in their heads, and all the surgeon/assistants that were supposed to help him weren't there so he had a tough night.

redwinger333
redwinger333
339 posts
Nomad

it likely would take some sort of scientific miracle to come up with some recovery process for the things you are talking about. Many of those born with retardation have genetic problems that make them that way. Not simple ones which can be cured by gene therapy, but additions (trisomy 21[Down Syndrome] is caused by a third pair in the 21st chromosome). some forms might be able to be erradicated before birth by gene therapy and other future forms of genetic replacement.
Stem cells being a cure? not likely. in most Born-with mental illness cases, it isnt that the brain cells aren't present (some cases may have a low amount of brain tissue, but there are many types, and i don't feel like researching at this hour) but rather with the brain's ability to connect. As our brain develops, our brain cells make connections to each other, allowing electrical signals to travel easier, expanding our brain's function. Cases of mental retardation can interfere with this connecting ability.

Could stem cells reverse effects of brain injury? possibly. If the cells were implanted and allowed to grow, they could replace damaged areas of the brain, but the patient would have to start over learning, and his brain would develope as would a newborn's. whether or not ANY stem cell use is plausible for retardation is another issue in itself, but it is the only likely cure in work at the present time.

NOTE* this is mostly things i have picked up in school and from other sources. some of this is secondhand info, and i can't tell you its 100% true... sorry if anyone finds any false statements, i tried not to use things i really wasn't unsure of(its been a while since ive last went over alot of this).

Divine... the surgery that you are thinking of is a labotamy. It was earlier thought that removing the frontal lobes would cure patients of insanity, when it only made them mostly unable to think.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Not bad redwinger, that nearly covers it.

Could stem cells reverse effects of brain injury? possibly. If the cells were implanted and allowed to grow, they could replace damaged areas of the brain, but the patient would have to start over learning, and his brain would develope as would a newborn's. whether or not ANY stem cell use is plausible for retardation is another issue in itself, but it is the only likely cure in work at the present time.

Stem-cell research is being developed towards a therapy to treat Alzheimer's, I so believe, so the question is quite relevant; however the process is going to be very difficult as stem cells are mainly active at a time when regulatory processes are strong at early critical stages of development (i.e. embryogenesis and gestation) and the exact relationship between the resident populations of stem cells that remain and the regulatory growth/aging processes is still not entirely clear.

Why I cite Alzheimer's is because it is a generalised neurodegenerative disease- it involves the loss of massive population of multiple types of neural cells which isn't really covered so well by the kinds of approaches currently investigated with these stem-cell therapies. However, other diseases such as Parkinson's (dopaminergic cells in the pars compacta of the substantia nigra) or diabetes (beta-cells of the isles of Langerhans in the pancreas) have much more specific defecits and are therefore more likely to respond to this kind of treatment.

To summarise the earlier discussion, 'mental retardation' is clinically defined by normative standards and isn't normally in itself a differential factor, so much as part of a whole raft of other symptoms. As such the pathologies and prognoses vary, and sometimes are very controversial e.g. 'autism' and 'Aspergers'.

Frontal lobotomies are no longer part of regular treatments for mentally ill patients- though hemispherectomies are sometimes performed for patients who suffer severe forms of grand mal seizures esp. in epilepsy.
DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

I thought that being retarded just ment a part of your brain is gone, not that it involved lots of diseases.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Well, nope! Definitely not a simple thing, in most cases.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Well DD you are not smart people are retarted that does not mean that a piece of there brain is gone

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

i have an uncle who is mentally retarded and he either has an extra chromosone or one less then we do that's all i know

Showing 1-15 of 26