ForumsGamesBioshock Infinite (probably will be spoilers in here)

16 5031
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

A thread to discuss this amazing games. What your thoughts on the story and characters are, ect. If you have any questions about the story, ask them here.

• 16 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'm kind of curious about something. I haven't played any of the Bioshock games, but the previous installments all had that huge robot thing and the little girl. They also looked like they were set in the future. This one looks like it takes place during the civil war. What's up with that?

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

@Sal

------------SPOILER ALERT-----------------
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Nah, not really the future but more of a steampunk setting. Bioshock 1 and 2 are set in the 1950's in a high-tec underwater city.
Bioshock infinite on the other hand, is more of a prequel to the original Bioshocks and takes place during the early 20th century.

All of these games were really good games, but however, I feel the story in Bioshock Infinite is sort of confusing and mind boggling, with all that time travelling and dimension stuff... Hurts my brain trying to figure that whole darn thing out, even argued with my friend for an hour just to justify how the whole story is.

Character wise, my favourite is Subject Delta from bioshock 2. Reason being he's a big daddy. Period.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Uh... But for Bioshock Infinite, I like the Songbird alot, reminds me of the bad@ss big daddies in the old bioshock series. Really loved the series because of these dudes.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Yeah, the first two seemed to be related... Then they pull all of this other crap into the series. I was actually going to buy Bioshock Infinite and jump clear into the series, but now it sounds like I ought to go back and play the first two. Thanks.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I'm kind of curious about something. I haven't played any of the Bioshock games, but the previous installments all had that huge robot thing and the little girl. They also looked like they were set in the future. This one looks like it takes place during the civil war. What's up with that?

First game took place in an underwater city, second game was a milking the series game made by another developer. Third game went back to its awesome original developers and they created an actually amazing game.

Bioshock infinite on the other hand, is more of a prequel to the original Bioshocks and takes place during the early 20th century.

Not a prequel. The games may or may not take place in the same universe, but their stories are almost completely unrelated.

Yeah, the first two seemed to be related... Then they pull all of this other crap into the series. I was actually going to buy Bioshock Infinite and jump clear into the series, but now it sounds like I ought to go back and play the first two. Thanks.

The only reason I would suggest playing the previous ones first is that they heavily improve on gameplay, so if you play the third first, then my might find the first game a bit boring in terms of game play. You can play the stories any order you like. Also, if you are short on money, just skip the second game.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Not a prequel. The games may or may not take place in the same universe, but their stories are almost completely unrelated.

True... Both have relatively different stories, but all of them are from the same world/universe/multiverse thing...

-SPOILER-
@@@@@

You even get to visit Rapture in Bioshock Infinite... But that might be in another time-rift Elizabeth created. Not sure if anything from the game has anything to do with the early Bioshocks. Sides, I kind of agree with you that this is not a sequel, but more of a spin-off but in an earlier era...

Heck, I keep on joking the System shock series is the future of the Bioshock series!
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

True... Both have relatively different stories, but all of them are from the same world/universe/multiverse thing...

Yes, it may take place in the same multiverse, but the event in both games have nothing to do with each other (other than the small scene with rapture in infinite).
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

The games may or may not take place in the same universe,

Spoilers obviously

Rapture is actually in a different timeline, so it's probably just a variable. This is proved by Voxophones where Fink explains he got all his ideas from seeing tears of Rapture.

But yeah, they take place in the same universe.
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Finally got to play the game on PS3.

I liked it. It was pretty cool.

I even got the original Bioshock for free along with a copy of Infinite, so I'm playing it right now.

And I got to hear Fortunate Son in the game! I love that song! One of the many good Vietnam War-era songs.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

So I played this. And it's like the best thing since the first BioShock. The combat and ending are even better, if you ask me.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

The combat and ending are even better

How can the combat possibly be better if you only have 2 guns at a time? And without being able to collect ADAM, you have to choose between weapon upgrades and vigor upgrades.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

The combat is better because the environments are more interesting and expansive, the skyhook is a great development, Elizabeth rules, and you have two hands (the only improvement BioShock 2 had over the original).

How can the combat possibly be better if you only have 2 guns at a time?

I frowned at this myself when I first realized it, "ugh, another victim to the CoD triple-AAA realistic guns cliché", but you know what? There's nothing wrong with it.
You can hardly feel the gun limitation, there's always a ton of different guns just lying there if you want them. And you're likely to have a couple favorites anyway, because of upgrades and simple preference, so you may well want to stick with them throughout. I know I kept an RPG with me for pretty much half the game. And you can totally do that, because ammo is never a problem, because money is never a problem.

And without being able to collect ADAM, you have to choose between weapon upgrades and vigor upgrades.
That would be true if they hadn't balanced money to support two upgrade systems. And money really isn't an issue at all, there's enough for both. I never really felt oppressed in that sense, I got pretty much all the upgrades I wanted, but the game is certainly balanced around you picking a few favorites.
You can't get away with upgrading every last thing (and you couldn't in the original BioShock either), and you wouldn't want to anyway, because who the hell uses every vigor and gun.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

There's nothing wrong with it.

Yes there is. Two guns means you should expect the kind of system where you need to plan ahead and choose guns strategically. Except this game doesn't give you the slightest hint at whats ahead, and even if it did, you can't necessarily chose the exact guns you want.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I never felt that problem, but I can only speak for me. Carrying around an RPG for emergencies and changing the other one occasionally worked fine. And I'd argue changing weapons very significantly too often isn't a good strategy at all. Having a core few upgraded weapons is best IMO.
It's not like enemies don't drop a ton of guns all the time, (sometimes guns are just there if you kill no enemies at all) or like there's such a huge difference between them. Honestly, this is nitpicking on your part. Sure the game doesn't let you do exactly what you want, but that's videogames for ya, they have rules.

Two guns means the game expects you to pick favorites and think strategically to some extent, but that doesn't mean it's gonna give you ALL the information. And the way you talk ,it's like you don't have the slightest clue how a shotgun might affect the next thing you find. Hint: it blows up things that are close. If you find yourself too far from your foes, pick a machine gun from the racks on the walls. Easy as pie. You don't have to pick your guns before a fight and die with those same guns.

Besides, what sort of game tells you exactly what's coming up? BioShock flows at the pace it flows. Have a little creativity. Being unpredictable is a plus in the current boring triple-A gaming climate. If you wanted Battlefield 3 you can pick that up.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

In fact, every time you need something really situational like a sniper rifle, the game outright gives it to you.

Showing 1-15 of 16