ForumsGamesWhat do you think of the WiiU?

26 5432
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Trolls love hating on Nintendo, Idk why. Nintendo has been around much longer, and has some of the greatest systems. The Wii wasn't a big disappointment to me, but the WiiU made up for it's mistakes. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Monster Hunter Ultimate, ZombiU, and Nintendo Land are what I have so far, and I'm really impressed. What do you guys think of it? (Don't try to give bad opinions if you're just too cheap to buy it and don't know anything about the game play.)

• 26 Replies
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I wish my biggest problem with it was the gameplay. My problem with the Wii U runs a lot deeper.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

My problem with the Wii U runs a lot deeper.

Don't leave us hungry..feed us!

Seriously, though..all you are doing is just leaving yourself open for him to attack you (he already did with his first sentence: Trolls love hating on Nintendo,).
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

The Wii U has almost no third party support. Why would anybody buy a console that is just for exclusives? Yeah, sure, it has Black Ops 2. And the multiplayer is a ghost town. The Wii U cannot run Frostbite, that means no Battlefield or any other game that uses Frostbite. Basically, the only third party that is sticking with Wii U is Ubisoft.

Meanwhile, Metro Last Light is not on Wii U. Bioshock Infinite is not on Wii U. GTA V is not going to be on Wii U. Destiny is not coming out for Wii U. Remember Me won't be on Wii U. The Deadpool game won't be on Wii U. Saints Row IV, not on Wii U. Lost Planet 3, not on Wii U. Far Cry 3, not on Wii U. Dark Souls II not on Wii U.

The Wii U came out in November 2012. It's going to have a whopping 1-2 year lifespan, and will drop dead when the PS4 and new Xbox come out with superior specs.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I'm kind of tired of repeating all the reasons why the Wii U is a colossal disaster, so I'll be brief.

Its release timing is idiotic, game library is tiny (and unremarkable), there's no multiplayer community and third party support is very weak next to the two other major consoles, meaning there's very little to no reason to pick this up over a proper console.

The stupid control scheme is not even close to revolutionary (oh geez, a touchscreen, never seen that) and flawed at its very core - why the hell would I look away from my god**** game. There's literally no utility a pause menu couldn't have given me. The only thing it's going to be any good for is making it even more hellish for Nintendo to find third party support, because we've learned from the Wii that developers largely won't give enough of a crap to implement the gimmick to its "fullest potential" or, worse yet, won't port games at all.
The controller itself is a cumbersome, poorly designed piece of hardware with zero battery life.

The marketing was done poorly and half the consumers don't even know it's a standalone machine, and in two years it will be a barren ****ing wasteland, only sparsely revisited for a short while whenever Nintendo releases one of their big IPs' next installment, and then abandoned promptly right after.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Don't mistake me for a Nintendo hater. I've played every Zelda game since A Link to the Past, every Mario game since Super Mario World. I've had every console they've made from the SNES to the 3DS. But I'm sitting this one out, because Nintendo need to get the stupid beaten out of them. As if the Wii hadn't been bad enough.

BadHaikuBird
BadHaikuBird
17 posts
Nomad

It's a catch-22.

It's not selling well because of a group of lackluster titles and little to no third party support.

There's a group of lackluster titles and little to no third party support because of low sales.

The stupid control scheme is not even close to revolutionary (oh geez, a touchscreen, never seen that) and flawed at its very core - why the hell would I look away from my god**** game

What, so the PS4 controller is completely revolutionary? The Wii U's gamepad isn't just a touch screen menu. If a developer takes advantage of it, it can be a very integral part of the gameplay. Nintendo already has. The multiplayer games are some of the best games that you can play with friends.

I by no means think the Wii U is that good, but I think you haven't even given the Wii U a chance and simply glanced away as "Gimmick" as soon as you saw it.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

It's not selling well because of a group of lackluster titles and little to no third party support.

No. The Wii had few titles when it came out and it sold through the tubes. It continued on to have terrible third party support and sell more than the freaking Bible. The Wii U has a poor concept, poor timing and poor marketing.

There's a group of lackluster titles and little to no third party support because of low sales.

No. The titles are lackluster because Nintendo can't get their **** together for a proper launch, and because we're at the end of this console cycle, meaning you can't get away with a small library. There's little to no third party support partly because, yes, sales are small (and that's Nintendo's fault), but also largely because Nintendo's terrible console gimmicks make development unappealing and unrewarding.
And like d_dude said, Frostbite won't run on the Wii U, which, apart from being infuriating, means some EA games just can't be on the console.

What, so the PS4 controller is completely revolutionary?
What? No, but it doesn't sell itself as revolutionary, like the Wii U.

The Wii U's gamepad isn't just a touch screen menu. If a developer takes advantage of it, it can be a very integral part of the gameplay. Nintendo already has. The multiplayer games are some of the best games that you can play with friends.

I have yet to see a game where it isn't a terrible gimmick. I'm giving it a fair shot, but god**** is it a bad idea.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I'd argue the reason the launch line-up seems so disappointing (comparatively speaking anyways, because almost every launch line-up is terrible to begin with) is because the vast majority of all the games it has currently out are either ports or multi platform releases. Doesn't seem they'll make a big push for new announcements either, since they won't even have an E3 conference this year.

Say what you will about early Wii launch games, but there were atleast original games made for it.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It has potential but it hasn't found its niche yet. I don't know, maybe its niche is in the category of unpopular consoles. I have a Wii U and I love it. I guess it just takes the appropriate person with the appropriate tastes to appreciate it.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I'm curious as to what that niche might be. The only one I can think of is "Nintendo fans so diehard they would never buy any non-Nintendo console".
Maybe a little to the casual side as well, but it has nowhere near the same appeal as the Wii, and it has to contend with a far, far superior competitor in the Kinect. The next gen is looking to branch out into casual territory as well, make no mistake. Consoles are steadily turning into multimedia living room boxes.

Not that I like the Kinect, it's still got tons of issues to work out and is very much a gimmick, but it's a way better gimmick.

Loptice
Loptice
242 posts
Peasant

Well problem is WiiU gets less games than other consoles and it's inferioir power is preblem. It didnt mean much with wii because motion controls made it completly different console. WiiU's contoler is nice addition but it!s not enough to make succesful gaming system like Wii's motion controls.

Not that I like the Kinect, it's still got tons of issues to work out and is very much a gimmick, but it's a way better gimmick.

Wiiu's game at least work compared to A LOT of Kinect games.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

I was actually in WalMart the other day and Im thinking im either going to get a Wii or 3DS to bring that nintendo portion back into my life. I always liked the old SNES and N64 games so thats about all I would play. But I want to try this DKC remake to see how bad it is without Chris and TIm

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

The 3DS isn't a bad purchase at all. It's slowly building a decent library and I've heard great things about Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Besides, it's a good opportunity to play some remakes of old N64 games.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Yeah Luigi's Mansion did look pretty cool. My friend had a 3DS and it looked pretty Gimmicky but I want to try the Newer Pokemon games because i the last NIntendo products I enjoyed were the GameCube and the GameBoy Advance SP

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

You know, I was thinking, at least the Wii U has backwards compatibility with the Wii. You can't say that of any next-gen console. So... that's kinda nice I guess. Even if the Wii library was so weak I could really just leave it behind.

Showing 1-15 of 26