ForumsWEPRPrinted Guns and Arms Laws

64 25666
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The wonderful 3D printers have given rise to an issue: one can download designs for a gun and print it via a 3D printer. You may have heard of this, if not, you can look up 3D printer guns and you'll find articles.
Naturally, the guns are neither strong nor capable of multiple shots, but that does not matter. You can still kill someone. Now, do you believe that when 3D printers are made available for cheap that we should slacken gun laws? Maybe the answer to the gun problem is if everyone is carrying a gun, even kids, there won't be issues. Or should we ban 3D printers and hope that these weak but still functional firearms never make it to the wrong people?

Personally, I think that the gun laws should be slackened. Once something is publicly available for cheap, it's hard to control it. Naturally, if we slacken the gun laws it stands to reason other weapons will most likely become allowed too, but maybe not.

But what do you think?

• 64 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Why do we only talk about criminals getting them? As the tech progresses why would regular people not want to have them?

Yes, and no. I feel like talking about the problem of them getting into the wrong hands is the first thing to discuss. There's no reason to aboard the "honest people" issue if we haven't settled with the criminal issue first.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Why do we only talk about criminals getting them? As the tech progresses why would regular people not want to have them?

Because the main issue at hand is how much we feel the law should limit printed technology.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I've used a 3D printer several times and I don't see how you could create a functioning gun with it. It took me about a week to design an iPhone cover, so building guns seems unfeasible what with all the parts involved. Not to mention the fact that most printers are nowhere near the level they need to be to print the parts as accurately as they need to be.

You'd have to be a master printer and have one of those $10,000 ones to build a gun.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Unleashed... In the WEPR? Is it possible!?

Anyway, I was thinking about printed guns from the modern-day perspective. Of course, in the future they'll have to change things up, but for now I think we're okay; however, I've heard someone blew his hand off or something while trying to print a gun.

As for distributors like Shapeways... I guess they could just ban gun designs or something. I don't really know how that would pan out. Most designs online are pretty crappy anyway.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Anyway, I was thinking about printed guns from the modern-day perspective. Of course, in the future they'll have to change things up, but for now I think we're okay; however, I've heard someone blew his hand off or something while trying to print a gun.

Yes, but the printed gun that they made is still a dangerous weapon, however poorly it's made. The designs today are horrendous, but so was the fast arquebus. It's a golden chance for the authorities to write the laws before the crimes occur, instead of the other way round which has oft been the case.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

It's a golden chance for the authorities to write the laws before the crimes occur, instead of the other way round which has oft been the case.

I second that. Even more in matters involving technology, especially upcoming technologies like the 3D-printer, which advance rather fast as is well known. It would be a nice change not to wait until problems get out of hand.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

It would be a nice change not to wait until problems get out of hand.

still i have a strong feeling that not 1 government is going to grab it by the horns untill it's to late.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Yes, but the printed gun that they made is still a dangerous weapon, however poorly it's made. The designs today are horrendous, but so was the fast arquebus. It's a golden chance for the authorities to write the laws before the crimes occur, instead of the other way round which has oft been the case.

Good point. Why the hell didn't I think of that?

still i have a strong feeling that not 1 government is going to grab it by the horns untill it's to late.

Lol, that'll be the US. Conservatives will ***** about how it somehow breaches the 2nd amendment. Talk about complete and utter BS.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Lol, that'll be the US.

the usa wont. thats for sure.
but my guess is that other countries are also to lazy to actually take this chance.
StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

One thing makes me wonder here. Perhaps I haven't read all posts, but I see everyone talking about laws pertaining the guns themselves whilst they're uncontrollable.

Why not restrict the 3d printers instead while they're still a rarity?
Mind you - restrict, not ban, The latter will just not get through.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

the usa wont. thats for sure.

How do you know that? Anything involving gun rights is a mess over here. Our country has a deeply rooted history with guns and they're popularized so much it ain't funny. I can't see how we'd just "make it work."
TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

Ooooo! I love that this has its own thread.

I do not believe that restrictive gun laws help anything. All they will do is keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding people. Also, there is a think called the black market, and stealing. A murderous criminal is not going to think twice about stealing a gun.

But, regarding the printed gun:

A) yes, it is a real gun
B) it's not that hard to make
D) it won't kill you if you shoot it, and it won't explode
C) pretty much its only use is as a self defense weapon, or for an enthusiast due to it's single-shot-ness

I do know what I'm talking about, and I want to say to Salvidian, this gun can be made well on a $2-300 homemade printer.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Why not restrict the 3d printers instead while they're still a rarity?
Mind you - restrict, not ban, The latter will just not get through.

That would be an idea. I can see 3D printers being used in industries and research only. Privates can live without, and I'm honestly still very cautious concerning the material used to print (I haven't seen any feedback on the health impact of some of any substance used, nor do I actually know the used substances).

Problem is that those printers are not dangerous per se and can be easily advertised as very practical gadget to have, which I do not disagree with either.
TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

I haven't seen any feedback on the health impact of some of any substance used, nor do I actually know the used substances

ABS and PLA are the most common, and sometimes nylon, but that requires a higher temperature capacity extruder than most people use.
PLA is supposedly bio-degradable, but not in the way most people think of it. It supposedly takes decades to actually start disintegrating.
But, overall, PLA and ABS are safe unless digested or eaten off of.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

But, overall, PLA and ABS are safe unless digested or eaten off of.

Or inhaled, I guess. Remember its raw form is a fine powder (again, as far as I know). Even if not technically toxic, it might still be carcinogenous or act like asbestos.

What about any vapours from printing? You do heat the material, right?
Showing 31-45 of 64