ForumsGamesNew YouTuber who plays... games and... crap

14 3185
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

I'm not sure if advertising is allowed or not (If it isn't, the topic will most likely get deleted). My channel name is Jeff1999PB2.

I currently only have 4 videos made, I will make more every day (or every second day). I am making videos about Strike Force Heroes 2, Plazma Burst 2! I am soon going to make videos about Minecraft and CS and other Armor Games flash games. The thing is... the videos aren't going to have any views if I won't have any subscribers. So I am kindly asking the whole Armor Games website: Please watch my videos, and if you have a YouTube account, please subscribe to me so more people could watch my vids.

So yeah. That's all I wish to ask. If you've at least watched my videos, thank you very much!

-Jeff

• 14 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Why did you create this thread in both places, it doesn't even belong here.

~~~Darth Caedus

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

It does. The whole thing is about me playing video games and recording them on YouTube. This thread doesn't belong in such places as: Support forum, World Events and Politics, Game walkthroughs, Quests, Tavern, Programming and MMO forums. In the rest of the forums, this thread can be created!

-Jeff

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

I am less likely to want to watch your videos due to the fact that you wrote games and crap? I mean at least give yourself some credit for what your making. I don't want to watch "crap"

Also I will subscribe to you if you subscribe to me

RDCMrSand

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

The thing is... the videos aren't going to have any views

You have to start somewhere I am currently building up my joint channel with 2 of my friends and we only get like 10 views a video but we are still uploading don't let the amount of views affect your videos just keep going and hopefully in time your channel will grow.
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

You have to start somewhere I am currently building up my joint channel with 2 of my friends and we only get like 10 views a video but we are still uploading don't let the amount of views affect your videos just keep going and hopefully in time your channel will grow.

YouTube will only show your video if it is fun to watch, to prove that your video is fun to watch, it needs alot of views (the views don't count if only the creator is watching it, even alternate accounts don't work), to have alot of views, the video has to be visible, but the video can't be visible if YouTube isn't going to show it, and for YouTube to show it, it needs to be fun.........................So it goes on in a circle! So what should you do? You need to ask your friends to at least watch the video, so it could get views. Do you get my point?

-Jeff
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Or, you know, make a "fun" video like you said. If you're at all entertaining then views will come fast.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Or, you know, make a "fun" video like you said. If you're at all entertaining then views will come fast.

But you see, not all videos that are entertaining get to see the spotlight on YouTube. More than one hundred videos are uploaded each day, and viral videos only become viral videos if luck strikes them. Heck, even some viral videos are not entertaining at all.

But you know what gets the views? Word of mouth, and YouTube spotlight.
Entertainment is just a factor for getting people to stay watching and keep coming back, not introduce new people.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Uh, every time the creator views it, it counts as a view. And it doesn't really work that way. You make interesting videos, and people will just come. That's the way it works. A sure way to make sure you don't grow is to spam comment sections of other people's videos, not that I'm saying you're doing that but still. Youtubers you find are usually better than youtubers who stuff their content down your throat.

So, if you make good content and say one person finds you and they like you, they spread the word. Over time, it will grow. Also make a twitter for your channel and post anytime you make a video, it helps too. The views will just come in, slowly at first but they will come.

Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

that title for the the therd will be what i am if i don't get subs (wrich is 0subs)

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

YouTube will only show your video if it is fun to watch, to prove that your video is fun to watch, it needs alot of views (the views don't count if only the creator is watching it, even alternate accounts don't work), to have alot of views, the video has to be visible, but the video can't be visible if YouTube isn't going to show it, and for YouTube to show it, it needs to be fun.........................So it goes on in a circle! So what should you do? You need to ask your friends to at least watch the video, so it could get views. Do you get my point?

You really just need to give it sometime and make sure your tags are right. Also you have more views on some of your videos then I even have. You need to make videos as soon as possible about the newest thing as well..
HappySunFlow
HappySunFlow
28 posts
Farmer

If you (or anybody else reading this thread) are worrying about getting more views, there are few factors you need to consider:
1) You have to evaluate your own attitude to making gaming videos. What are your goals, and do you think you are capable of fulfilling them? You have to realize that if you want to make videos and get recognition for them, you will have to be dedicated. You cannot half-arse your way through to fame; you have to make deadlines for posting videos and adhere to them, you have to learn about video editing and compression, and much more. If you already have a dozen hobbies that you are better at and that appeal more to you, perhaps you should rethink making gaming videos - or, if you still want to make them, you should rethink your ambitions concerning these videos: don't expect many views, and just do what you want and what you can, without applying too much pressure on your daily routine.
2) You need to ensure that your videos are of the highest grade of quality that you can provide them with. To this end, you have to research extensively on the topic of video recording, video editing, compression, audio recording, etc.
Once you've done your research and are fully aware what you're getting yourself into, consider your budget. How much are you willing to spend on recording software or on a high-grade microphone? Since you are starting out, you probably want to keep the budget to a minimum and spend as little as possible, if anything. Of course, pumping money into your recording equipment won't land you a thousand views automatically, so the budget is not terribly important, though it has to be considered nonetheless, as you may not be satisfied with some of the free software that is out there.
3) You need to discover a style that suits the function and goal of your videos, your time schedule and your own personality. Some game commentators do commentary in post, others while they're playing; some prefer rapid-fire humor and extensive video-editing, which is time-consuming, while others like to provide helpful advice and do as little editing as possible. Are you a gamer who goofs off and constantly stumbles on game bugs, or are you a skilled, methodical gamer? Do you like written Let's Plays, or are you sure you want to go ahead with video (remember: if you don't have a good voice or if you tend to get stuck in games, written LP's is always an option, and a fairly popular one at that). Do you prefer playing flash games, indie games, horror games, AAA games or are you a "jack-of-all-games"? Find your inner gamer and stick to it. Don't try to be something you're not. Maybe there are some gamers out there whose jokes are forced and who fake-scream while playing horror or rage games, but believe me, 90% of such gamers are not only relatively unknown, but they are also frowned upon - or even retsupurae'd :P
3) You have to create a steady flow of videos. You cannot just post one video a month; you need to post at least one video a week, ideally one video every two days. The frequency of your videos also depends on the quality: if your videos undergo heavy editing, then a video a week is a good deadline to meet, while if your videos have little to no editing involved, then a video a day or every two days would be adequate, especially if the videos are all episodes of a single series. In the beginning, you will have ten, twenty or even fifty videos that do not have many views - probably less than fifty - but if you keep posting them, eventually the viewcount and subscribers count will grow. People will stumble upon your videos as you have so many of them, that your channel already has made a small impression upon the gaming-video community.

If you are in dire need of more than five or ten views per video, then here are some do's and do not's of raising the viewcount in a short period of time:
- Join forums and websites that specifically cater to gaming videos. There are many friendly Let's Play forums with many seasoned as well as amateur members, all of whom are ready to give your channel a looksie (in return for a gander at their own channel, out of politeness) and to give you very helpful, constructive criticism to help you improve your video quality.
Additionally, you can consider posting a topic on a forum that specializes in a genre similar to the one favored in your videos. For example, if you tend to play old-fashioned, retro games, you could link to your channel in a thread on a website that caters to people who enjoy retro games.
- Don't spam your channel on youtube videos of popular LPers and beg for views/subs - neither should you do this anywhere else, for that matter. You can casually mention your channel in a youtube post, or you can even open a thread like this one on some gaming forum, but remember: people really, really dislike users who look like they're desperate for views and subs. You aren't likely to get much constructive criticism or praise, and many will probably ignore your posts anyway. Some people might look, and if your videos are indeed interesting enough, word of mouth will pass you along and you might actually get a higher viewcount and more subscribers. But it isn't guaranteed.
- You can, of course, join social networks to further promote your channel, but don't go overboard. You may have an account on every social network from Twitter to Instagram, but it won't guarantee Youtube success. However, having Twitter or a Facebook page may help in promoting your videos and in letting your audience know when you have just posted a video.

More tips to raise the content quality of your videos:
- Read guides and articles from well-known LPer's and see what they have to say on the subject.
- Watch Retsupurae and learn what NOT to do.
- Practice gaming commentary by riffing. Sure, it may sound a little stupid, but if you are uncomfortable with constantly making jokes that are being recorded (and you will have to constantly make jokes of some kind or other, otherwise, if there's a slump or an interval of silence in the video, the audience will very quickly get bored), you can improve by switching on a film or TV show and just sit there and riff on it. It doesn't have to be good, but at least you will realize which direction your commentary humor runs to. Remember, the jokes that entertain the audience may not always be the same as the jokes that you tell when you're with your friends. Alternatively, you could always do your commentary in post, and prepare it by writing key points or a rough script while watching the video you just made.

And finally: There is a milestone that you will reach through dedication, perseverance, hard work and a pinch of luck. For bloggers, this milestone is considered the first one thousand views on a person's blog. For Youtubers, there exists a similar accomplishment that, once achieved, will guarantee an increased visiter frequency. Once you've broken, say, five hundred subscribers or five thousand views (although I do not know the exact statistics for the milestone - I doubt anyone really does), the views and subs will be coming in quicker. Those first few hundred views are the hardest, but after that it's smooth sailing, provided the videos don't decrease in quality or frequency.

(And how do I know all this? Well, once upon a time, I joined a very friendly LP forum and I started up a gaming channel on Youtube. After a few months I realized that LPing (or at least, making commentary WHILE I am playing a game) just wasn't my thing. I discovered that I prefered to turn my attention to writing, and I opened up a literature-oriented blog instead. Sure, I don't have many visitors or views, but I write for my blog chiefly because I want to. It is for my own pleasure, whereas a gaming channel proved to be far too tedious and too time-consuming to be fit into my weekly schedule. I am, however, contemplating doing scripted LP's and/or written LP's, since I am learning to write stage- and screenplays and I enjoy writing jokes about video games.)

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

More than one hundred videos are uploaded each day,

Are you kidding? Tens and hundreds of thousands of videos are posted each day, heck a hundred is barely a fraction!
dav123
dav123
105 posts
Jester

Yep I agree with you bigjacob.

Andrewlolman
Andrewlolman
82 posts
Scribe

I agree with bigjacob too

Showing 1-14 of 14