ForumsThe TavernAre your posts getting cut off?

17 3915
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Looking around some of the forum threads, I noticed in the WEPR topic (avoid page 2 on) evolution had a series in 3 posts by wflag because his post got cut off.

The reason for this phenomena, to the best of my knowledge, stems from the site's blocking of html code, so when a person includes greater than and less than signs, the block interprets this as html, and subsequently, deletes it.

Below this is a sentence with some random signs on each end, saying, in effect, that it is an example.

~~~Darth Caedus

• 17 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

The cause are the symbols Jeol has at the bottom of his post...which I suspect was cut off. Just don't use them and you're fine.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Which makes sense, since I'm assuming they just have a regex running over every new post to check for html tags.

Still, the thing doesn't seem very well thought out in general, which is why posts keep getting cut off.

>_>
<

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

what does &lt even do?

I am talking about when you enclose a post in greater than and lesser than signs, because it erases everything between the pair.

An example is some people put emoticons that utilize these signs on each side of their post, greater first, then lesser.

~~~Darth Caedus

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

what does < even do?

That is a beginning tag in HTML, just like []'s are beginning tags in BBCode.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

That is a beginning tag in HTML, just like []'s are beginning tags in BBCode.

That is actually & l t.

I know about html, I use it on my profile.

~~~Darth Caedus
wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

Actaully, I don't know why my second post in that thread got cut off, their were no greater or less signs in it after I fixed my post.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Actaully, I don't know why my second post in that thread got cut off, their were no greater or less signs in it after I fixed my post.

Interesting, another thing is causing this problem.

~~~Darth Caedus
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

it cutted me off a few times aswel.

no particular reason. just in the middle of some text.
no links
no weird signs
no other chars. then just letters, numbers and space.

Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

If anybody can tell me how to duplicate the issue, I can help. Otherwise, it will be hard to do anything.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

If anybody can tell me how to duplicate the issue, I can help. Otherwise, it will be hard to do anything.

Post a less-than sign. Everything after that is cut off.

< postingthistoseeifitstilldoesit
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Welp, irony strikes when you least expect it. That's generally how it was a few days ago anyway.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

You need more than &lt.

You need &gt on the other side of the area that gets cut off.

like the sentence below this one.

< how are you doing >

<
test
>

~~~Darth Caedus

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

oh, the irony, maybe it requires for the sign to be right before the words.

~~~Darth Caedus

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Perhaps that glitch has been fixed, but a new glitch may be randomly cutting off posts.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Sometimes I write a sentence and right at the end, something happens and I end up writing in the middle of it. I get an idiotic sentence that means nothing.

Example:
Original sentence: I guess I will go to (jump) bed.
After the jump: I guill bed.
xD

Showing 1-15 of 17