ForumsForum GamesAnthill RPG (OOC)

107 25328
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Hello and welcome to Anthill RPG! This is your host, Nilo the Ant.

The purpose of this out-of-character thread is to settle all questions and doubts that may surface before the actual RPG begins, to avoid getting the actual RP thread cluttered with questions and doubts that could have been answered before. That being said, feel free to ask any questions. This thread is here to answer them, after all.

Let's get down to business, shall we?

Okay. Some main rules are pretty straightforward.
1. Proper grammar and spelling is one of the most important. If english is not your 'best' language, just do the best you can.
2. Keep your actions reasonable. Don't try to go over the edge.
3. If you lose, remember that it's just a game. No reason to get mad at others.
4. When the victory conditions are met for a person, that's that. He/She wins.

The Map, the place in which the RPG will take place in.

Here is the sheet that will be used, along with short descriptions for each of the points (eliminate the spaces and information when you're done):

Name Pick a name for your insect/arachnid nation. Replace the 'Name' with it. Examples: "The Empire of Antopia", "The United Anthills of Example".

Race: Pick an insect/arachnid species, such as "Fire Ants" or "Common Termites". Once you pick your species, it's taken, which means that nobody else can choose it as well. There can be many players using Ants as their species, but only one player using Fire Ants or Bull Ants. The species that you can't pick (in any form) are: Mantises, Tarantulas and Scorpions, as these will be important NPC factions.
If you pick Bees or Wasps, or such an insect (with wings), note that they will not be able to fly, as this would be an unfair advantage.

Main Anthill/Lair/Nest: Name your capital insect/arachnid anthill or lair or nest, as well as its location. It can be anywhere in the British Isles except in London, The Ise of Man, Edinburgh, Dublin, or Cardiff.
Example: "Antopia, East Scotland". Replace Anthill with Lair, Mound, or such if necessary.

Cities under Control: Leave blank. The cities that fall under your control will be listed here, as well as their respective food income. Ex. Glasgow+X.
-------
Food: Start with 200. To keep the heart of the RPG (its relative simplicity), there is only one material, and it's this, food. Use food to research technology, train soldiers, and pretty much everything else.

Food Income: Start with 30. This is how much food you receive each turn, be it by farms, trade, tax, and tribute. It can be increased by technologies, threatening another faction, or gaining territory.

Technology: Leave blank. Your technologies will be added here.

Age: the Age of Stone. This age is the one your species is currently in.
-------
Soldiers: Start with 300. Soldiers are your main fighting force.

Soldier Cost: Put here a 100. Soldiers can only be trained in companies of 100 soldiers. This tells you how much food it'll cost you to train 100 soldiers. According to your weapons, and certain technologies, the cost can either increase or decrease.

Weapons: Start with none. These are the weapons your soldiers will fight with. You can pick a maximum of two different weapons at the same time, unless a technology modifies this. All your soldiers are equipped with the same weapons.

Vehicles: Start with 50 grasshoppers. Vehicles for your soldiers to ride and fight in/from.
-------
Here is a blank space. As the RPG goes on, more will be added (for example, how close you are to winning).

Now, let's proceed to several other rules!

How To Win/Objectives

Your objective in this RPG is to become the dominant insect species in Britain. The way to achieve this is to, well, win. There are several ways of winning. Here's the list:

1. Basic Victory: be the only remaining species in Britain.
2. Conquest Victory: conquer and hold London for 5 turns.
3. Scientific Victory: build a rocket and launch it to space.
4. Military Victory: build a WMD and blow up everyone.
5. Cultural Victory build a Wonder and hold it for 5 turns.

The player must be in possession of his/her main Anthill/Lair/Nest to win. it is also to be noted that if a player loses whilst attempting victory (for example, the player builds a Rocket and someone else destroys it), the player can try to win again (by building another rocket).
The winner gets a..uhâ¦a prize!

ECONOMICS

Technology

Technology is pretty straightforward. You just pick a technology from the tree that must be linked to a technology you already researched, pay up what it costs, and in the next turn it'll be available. Simple, right?

Workers

Since you're insects/arachnids, workers come in pretty large numbers. That's why you have an unlimited supply of them. They can't fight, however. A single soldier can kill scores of workers.

Food

Food can be obtained through several means. You could just rely on your food income, which provides a slow but steady supply of it. You could have your soldiers forage in the woods, which yields a moderate amount of food. You could raid other anthills for food. Or you could be creative and obtain food through other means.

WARFARE

Soldiers and Soldier Recruitement

Soldiers are a bit more complicated than workers, though. To train soldiers, state how many you'd like to train, pay the cost, and then receive your soldiers the next turn. Note that soldiers can only be trained in companies of 100. You could, however, train as many companies as you're able to in a turn (you could train 200 soldiers in a turn).

Weapons and Vehicles

I hope this doesn't mix people up.

The real purpose of weapons is to allow your soldiers certain actions. For example, you could order some archers to attack a group of spearmen from a safe distance. The spearmen, if equipped with shields, could retaliate by forming a shield wall, if equipped with shields. The same applies to vehicles. Ordering a group of soldiers to mount some grasshoppers, then charging at the archers.

Combat

In a PVP battle, things could turn out rather different. If one player read the other's actions before posting, he could just retaliate and have an unfair advantage. This is why you will be able to e-mail your actions to the email I just created! operationnilo@gmail.com.
For every PVP battle there will also be a map, in which you could make your soldiers climb hills, ford streams, etc.. There will also be a battle map for every Player-Environment battle of respectable size. Don't worry, I have lots of free time.

OTHER

Player Alliances or Agreements

Players are able to ally one another to fight a common foe, declare war on one another, and/or engage in certain agreements (Ex. attack that guy and I'll pay you). Keep in mind that your ally is also allowed to betray you, so be cautious!
It is also to be noted that an Alliance could also win together, under one condition. The species of the members of the alliance must all be related in some way. For example, an alliance of Fire Ants and Bull Ants could win as a team, but an alliance of Fire ants with Wolf Spiders could not.

Players are allowed to sell or buy technology to other players.

--

I'm more than open to suggestions/questions/complaints/threats, so don't hesitate!

Here goes nothing...*clicks the submit button*

• 107 Replies
ivan
ivan
1,417 posts
King

Ok. I accept your suggestion

The Empire of the Fallen
Race: Fire Ants
Main Anthill: Liverpool
Cities under Control:
-------
Food: 200
Food Income: 30 per turn
Technology:
-------
Soldiers: 300
Soldier Cost: 100
Weapons: None
Vehicles: 50 grasshoppers
-------

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Excellent. I'll attach to this post the 3 sheets when Sonic names his nation.

ivan
ivan
1,417 posts
King

What are the rules about who will play first and who is second, third... ?

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

What are the rules about who will play first and who is second, third... ?

Good question.

Everyone will have a 3-day period to answer, so if there is no player interaction at the moment of the turn, everyone just answers when they can before the time period expires. I'm still deciding what to do if someone does not answer within the period. The only answer that immediately comes to mind is that I play the missing player's nation until he/she comes back.

And by the way, I had an idea.To save ourselves all the problem with the emails and all in a Player-Player combat scenario, the attacker (since he attacked) could move first, defender next, attacker again, defender again, and so on. Risk gave me that idea, but then again Risk is dice-based ._.
thfcJack
thfcJack
64 posts
Nomad

Will there be private player-player communication or is everything required to be posted in the game?

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

What scenarios are you talking about, exactly?

Because if you mean your negotiating with other players (forming an alliance, treaty, pact, etc...), that kind of communication doesn't necessarily need to be posted in the thread.

However, combat-related Player-Player interactions do need to be in the thread.

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

This is a Technology Chart, to show the names of the technologies. Note that some technologies are linked to other specific technologies and some of these links are not shown in this chart. This is just a rough draft, anyways.

Age 1
Gathering
Foraging
Clubs
Fire
Tracking
Tunneling
Enlightenment

Age 2
Exploration - Bireme
Farming
Mining - Smithing - Sword/Spear/Shield
Hunting - Bow
Alchemy - Witch Doctors
Masonry - Architecture
Cartography
Gunpowder

Age 3
Crop Rotation
Barracks - Conscription
Shipwrights - Frigate (req. Cannon)
Casting (req. Smithing) - Musket - Cannon
Laboratories - Scientific Method - Patronage
Advanced Architecture/Military Architecture (req. Architecture)
Steam - Gasoline - Internal Combustion Engine - Motor Vehicles - Tank
Engineering (req. ICE) - Aeronautics (req. Motor Vehicles) - Aircraft

Age 4 *Player can only choose one path*
Path 1
Advanced Aeronautics (req. Aeronautics) - Rockets - MSS (miniature Space Shuttle)
Path 2
Nuclear Fission (req. Engineering+Scientific Method) - Warheads - WMD
Path 3
Culture (req. Patronage) - Wonder

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

I choose these guys :P Nyan Ants!
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/3995981_700b.jpg
racial bonuses lol

Nyan Ant Empire
Race: Honeypot Ants
Main Anthill: (Dunno pick one for me lol)
Cities under Control:
-------
Technology:
-------

LupusAureus
LupusAureus
107 posts
Nomad

The United Federation of Brown Recluse Spiders

Race: Brown Recluse Spiders

Capital: Keep of the Recluse, Eastbourne

Controlled Cities:
-------

Food Income: 30

Technology:

-------

Weapons:
None

Vehicles:
50 Grasshoppers
-------

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

HecticHermit! What a nice little surprise

Nyan Ant Empire
Race: Honeypot Ants (really? xD)
Main Anthill: Uhh how about Plymouth?
Cities under Control: None.
-------
Technology:
-------

Accepted

Race: Brown Recluse Spiders (could I get a picture on how they look like?)
Controlled Cities:
-------
Technology: None
-------
Weapons:None
Vehicles:50 Grasshoppers
-------

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

This is the Last Call!

July 15, 12:01PM The RPG will commence.

Please ask all your questions naough!

Those already in:

The Legion of Stag Beetles
Race: Stag Beetles ( Lucanus cervus)
Main Lair: Stag Lodge, Sheffield
Cities under Control:
-------
Technology:
-------
-------

The Unnamed Anarchy of Sonic
Race: Honey Bee
Main Lair: Blackpool
Cities under Control:
-------
Technology:
-------
-------

The Empire of the Fallen
Race: Fire Ants
Main Anthill: Liverpool
Cities under Control:
-------
Technology:
-------
-------

Race: Brown Recluse Spiders
Controlled Cities:
-------
Technology: None
-------
Weapons:None
Vehicles:50 Grasshoppers
-------

and last, but not least:

Nyan Ant Empire
Race: Honeypot Ants
Main Anthill: Plymouth?
Cities under Control: None.
-------
Technology:
-------

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

The Unnamed Anarchy of Sonic
Race: Honey Bee
Main Lair: Blackpool
Cities under Control:
-------
Technology:
-------
-------

I think I'll keep the name. umm thanks for it?

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

plymouth is fine, dunno how are you going to divide Britain into regions sorta like the other map. Yea Im using Honey pot ants because they got a unique adaptation lol, idk Brown Recluse are a very venomous spider dunno if thats releavent but maybe my workers could be better at producing food. Anyways I was just looking for "colony" based insects and saw that picture lol.

Also you think about adding things like "buildings" for cities or regions to improve them

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

I think I'll keep the name. umm thanks for it?

You're welcome

plymouth is fine, dunno how are you going to divide Britain into regions sorta like the other map. Yea Im using Honey pot ants because they got a unique adaptation lol, idk Brown Recluse are a very venomous spider dunno if thats releavent but maybe my workers could be better at producing food. Anyways I was just looking for "colony" based insects and saw that picture lol.

Also you think about adding things like "buildings" for cities or regions to improve them

I'm trying to keep the game relatively simple, mate. That way, you can focus more on thinking on what to do than on reading the rules :I
But I may be able to add some basic buildings. I'll think about it.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Lets say each building has a cost of workers/food

Granary: Holds food/Maximum Storage
Farm: Produces food
Factory: Produces weapons or vehicles at a given rate
Laboratory: Research tech
Barracks: Holds Soldiers/Max Soldiers
Training Camp: Produces Soldiers at a given Rate

City Hall: Produces workers at a given rate per food, if captured the city falls

there also should be a cost per worker, cost per soldier, that is a rate they consume at a given time so building and sustaining a large army requires food.

What would make it really cool is lets say an army will have a number of turns before they need to be "resupplied" otherwise they run out of food and retreat or have to pillage the territory they are in...

Also think you should have "Scientist" who could work in the labs :P

anyways its a bunch of complicated suggestions, just trying to help out

Showing 31-45 of 107