ForumsWEPRSoccer in the USA vs the world

36 6263
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

Why isnt soccer as big as it is in England, Spain, or Germany??? Why, becasue we have football which more people like than soccer. I hear people say that soccer is to slow, and not entertaining, but I just say you should've watched the Germany Turkey game. That was goal filled, and hitting action.

If you have any reasons why you dont like soccer, or you think soccer should be publicized like me, say so.

• 36 Replies
Elastergirl
Elastergirl
79 posts
Nomad

Soccer is a great sport and it is always entertaining but not in all countries it is in all of Europe though and Spain beat Russia 3-0 yesterday and now its Spain V Germany in the final of the Euro 08 and I hate American Football but I do indeed like soccer!

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

I can't sya for USA but I can say for Canada, many kids play soccer, but it seems as though once they graduate from high school its over, they just don't play soccer anymore. I can't really say why. And also because of the lack of a good league to watch. I've got to say, I find Major League Soccer to be boring, as well as the horrible television coverage it gets. I do however, enjoy the european clubs. *cough* Manchester United *cough*

"Soccer is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans always win."

kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

lol,

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I think Americans love the last second shots, miracle comebacks, and high scoring games. In soccer, it's rare to see a "last second" shot. Comebacks are extremely hard to achieve. And scores in soccer are very low. Not only that, the offsides rule pushes away many Americans, because we love cherry-picking and awesome breakaways in sports. Soccer has this intensity throughout the entire game. One shot, or one good set piece can change the entire complexion of the game, while in American Football, Baseball, and Basketball, it's many plays that change the game. Which means in soccer, one mistake can ruin a team. Something about American attitudes of sport see this as a negative.

I also don't think Americans realize how hard it is to be a footballer (soccer player). I live in the USA and I was umpiring a baseball game. One team was very sluggish, slow, and barely trying. The coach told them, "Hustle! This isn't soccer!" Most Americans don't realize that the average footballer runs 5-8 miles a game. It is a very intense sport, and you need to be in amazing shape. Americans tend to not appreciate that.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Why isnt soccer as big as it is in England, Spain, or Germany???

It is a cultural thing. It is the working class game of Europe and many other nations. But the US has their own sports which no one else plays like american football which they like more. If everyone in your neighbourhood played american footbal as a kid why would u wanna play 'soccer' living in america?

Soccer is a great sport and it is always entertaining

'soccer' or football has always been my favourite sport but i disagree that it is always entertaining of course there are boring games like in any sport. For example the Switzerland vs Ukraine game last world cup i wanted to commit suicide watching that. However it is like any other sport some great games and some mediorcre ones.

And also because of the lack of a good league to watch

This is a big factor as to why americans dont watch it. MLS is frankly rubbish and cos of the time distance u cant watch the prem very easily.

"Soccer is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans always win."

Sadly this is very true. The bloody Germans play crap in between all tournaments then always reach the final grr.

Not only that, the offsides rule pushes away many Americans, because we love cherry-picking and awesome breakaways in sports

One of the main reasons americans will never rele like it in the same way is their mentality ansd misunderstanding of the offside rule the true test of a perceived 'football fan'. Also we dont do it cos we wanna slow trhe game down without it the game would be a shambles and people wpuld just goal hang making it shit. I can see where ur point came from but its hard to say that without understanding the reason the rule is there.

[/quote]Soccer has this intensity throughout the entire game. One shot, or one good set piece can change the entire complexion of the game

It is for this very reason that people love football worldwide. The concentration and intensity both teams have to oplay at for the whole 90 mins makes it better and that moment of flair or magic is the spontanaiety that lots of people have been won over by.

Most Americans don't realize that the average footballer runs 5-8 miles a game. It is a very intense sport, and you need to be in amazing shape. Americans tend to not appreciate that.[quote]

I hole hatredly agree with this. Most people insult things they dont unerstand and most americans certainly dont understand soccer. I mean most of your sports are in quarters not halfs and most are shorter for 90 mins. Also i think some of it is jealousy as it is a fact all americans are clinically obese joke.
eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Hmmm i was watching soccer the other day...and i totally had this question nailed. But now it escapes me...I know that all my friends loooooooove sports in general (as do i) and being that pretty much all my friends are athletic we can understand the intensity of running around a soccer field. So, i know that my friends and i will gladly watch good soccer...which again is a problem with MLS. Because the MLS blows while everything else is good enough to watch...soo i think that the general population of the U.S. doesn't like Soccer because 1. They Can't understand its intensity 2. The MLS blows so they sterotype.

All that being said...soccer in the last 10 years has grown exponentially in the U.S. in terms of popularity.

Oh i remembered what i came up with while watching it. That is, complexity. In Baseball there are 100's of rules and as a player you are constantly using your head...and i think baseball has brainwashed america into liking that thought process. I also believe that american football is much more brawn and much less brain...soo as that takes over the u.s. the simplicity of soccer(no offense) seems more appealing to the U.S. (hope that made sense...)

kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

if u watched the germany turkey game, u would have seen last second goals. so yes, soccer does have last second shots, and offsides makes it harder, and more enjoyable to watch

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

the simplicity of soccer(no offense) seems more appealing to the U.S. (hope that made sense...)

The simplicity of football is one of its strengths. You dont need any expensive equipment just jumpers for goal posts and all you need is a ball. That is why it is the most popular sport in the world. I mean basically it is 22 men trying to put a ball in the other teams net with their feet but because its so simple and doesnt have many rules or restrictions the different ways you can get from one side of the pitch to the other is never boring in my opinion.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Not only that, the offsides rule pushes away many Americans, because we love cherry-picking and awesome breakaways in sports.

Which is interesting, as I also believe that Rugby League/Union is not big in the States either.

Offsides confused me a lot for a long time as a kid- as the goalie for one of the lower ranked teams in our school, most of the kids were rather unfit so I was always having to fend off breakaway strikers! But as soon as we passed to somebody who happened to be *just* beyond the last line of defenders, we got called. What a load of BS! It's like the freakin' cross-court rule of basketball.

I'm all in favor of a deregulated, zero equipment sport which essentially goes: just get the ball in the other team's goal, and I don't care how you do it! I shall call it...Warball. Because all's fair in love and war.
SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I think it's not too popular in the USA because soccer is a really big team sport, and Americans like seeing a hero out in the field, not so much teamwork. Notice how alot of popular sports in america tend to have people who you can point out individuals that are good but in soccer you point out the team that is good, not just a single person in that team.

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

I think Soccer is less popular in the United States because Americans are more focused on Football, Baseball, Basketball, and College Athletics. We just don't have our focus on Soccer, but many Americans do, it's just that only 2% of Americans probably have their mind focused on soccer.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I think it's not too popular in the USA because soccer is a really big team sport, and Americans like seeing a hero out in the field, not so much teamwork. Notice how alot of popular sports in america tend to have people who you can point out individuals that are good but in soccer you point out the team that is good, not just a single person in that team.

I disagree with this comnpleeely. Of course people will say the team played well if it did but there are always star players. For example all the hype about Christiano Ronaldo shows how there are individuals who do stand out. I see where you are coming from but i think there are lots of people who stand out.

But as soon as we passed to somebody who happened to be *just* beyond the last line of defenders, we got called. What a load of BS! It's like the freakin' cross-court rule of basketball.

The rules state it is any part of your body past the last defender as the ball is played. Its the same for both teams so why complain. Also if the rule wasnt there, players would goal hang and it would make the game much worse trust me.

I'm all in favor of a deregulated, zero equipment sport which essentially goes: just get the ball in the other team's goal, and I don't care how you do it! I shall call it...Warball. Because all's fair in love and war.

lol this would be a good game. But a modern version of this game is a sport played in Italy. It is played like football was in the midlle ages. There are 30 players on each team who have to get the ball past a line by any means. Arms and legs are often broken and the referees carry swords there are 5 of them. How cool does that sound. So it sounds like ur idea has already been done.
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

By the way when I brought up the quote:

"Football is a simple game, 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans always win."

I WAS BEING PROOOO GERMANY!!!

GOOOOOOO GEEEEEEEEEEERMANNNY! And I can proudly say Im cheering for the home team not the favourite since I'm half German. (Alot of my friends just cheer for the tournament favourites)

kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

thats sad, because germany and spain is going to be a good gmae, too bad i might miss it due to church.

the game starts at 11:45 pacific time, and church starts at 11

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

We Americans probably hate soccer so much that we just had to called it soccer and not football like all the other countries do.

Showing 1-15 of 36