ForumsThe TavernDear Community

43 11705
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Dear Community,

Have you ever thought about how much better your life would be if you had no problems? Well, I have the perfect solution to problems: Answers! And, I know just the place to get answers from: All you guys. The community.

That's right; we're gonna crowd source your life. There's gonna be synergy out the patootie. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet of solutions with an open bar. But don't get too excited, you can't just dive in and start on the cake before even trying the roast beef. That'd just be chaos- and we can't have that.

So here is how it works. Anyone can ask a question. Ideally the question should be about a life problem or scenario. No, it doesn't have to be a real problem, just make it interesting. Then, anyone can give advice in regards to the problem*. More than one person can answer the same problem. You can ask a new question even if the first has not been solved yet.

Okay, so it might be a bit crazy. That's okay, as long as you mind your freakin manners. It doesn't matter how fast you're shoving chicken dumplings into your food hole as long as your napkin is nicely folded on your lap. Similarly, all posts should be made using proper letter etiquette. What is proper etiquette? Were you raised by wolves? Sheesh.

And with that, I leave you to it!

Sincerely,
Aknerd

P.S. Yes, I remember I did something very similar to this before, and it got locked (for reasons I still don't agree with), but seeing that this is far more discussion orientated than that other thread, I hope it won't be a problem.

*No, the advice doesn't have to be "good" or "serious". If you are not going to give serious advice, however, please don't just spurt out random spam. Be creative. Just... put some thought into it. That's all I ask.

**If you still don't understand what this thread is, it is basically "Dear Abby", except you are both Abby and the readers, and so is everyone else.

• 43 Replies
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Dear community,

I am here in armor games for many years, and i have a big problme that make me sad again and again -

This is, my grammer.

As im sure you noticed, my english is not the best. I have grammatical errors, writing errors and sometimes i dont remmember a word. Mostly im fine but sometimes peoples here use it against me.
Why everyone are so eager to tell me that?
I realy feel its lowering my self esteam. I cant just google translate everything. I try to check but as im mot home and using my phone to talk with you guys its much much harder to do so. These comments made me more then once to think about not coming in again or at least not commenting.

Thank you for reading,
Danielo

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

@danielo
You're fine most of the time. You usually give plenty of details and examples to convey your thoughts. That makes up for the lack of conciseness that would otherwise come from knowing the right words to use. For example, your last post in the "Why do we do what we do" thread could've been expressed in about 5 sentences instead of a few paragraphs.

It's just, sometimes, I think I see it outside. I don't know for sure though. Any advice?

Get a bunch of cameras and record everything. Demonstrate that it's there. Validate your claim. Even if you get torn in half and your entrails hang from a tree, at least we'll eventually see the footage.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Dear Spirit,

At least 3, depending on how big the area is. More is better.

At least one on yourself, tied to your shoulder(s) or something, and two or more overlapping the area(s) where you most often see (or think you see) these things so if something shows up it won't be called a camera error. (Best case would be to minimize blind spots with multiple 7-15ft poles, each with a globe of 12 cameras on the end of it: 3 layers; 4 cameras per layer, each pointed 4-way; middle row horizontal; top row aimed up 20deg, alternate between openings in middle row; bottom row aimed down 20deg, positioned to mirror top row.)

I recommend linking them to some form of vid storage (like the internet, or at least to a computer) in case they get damaged by something or someone.

It shouldn't cost more than a few hundred. Borrow from friends and family if you can, but I don't recommend directly telling them what you're doing because they might prank you.

-Emp

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Dear Anonymousse,

Yes, if I am contended to impart time upon which that there for as to be abided by, an acquisition of time in the part by which some sort of then made compromise has been acquitted towards immaculate peremptory degenerative conversation?

Sincerely,

Anonymousse

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Dear Anonymousse,

First and foremost, It's imperative that I evince gratitude towards one such as yourself for composing such a meticulous missive, albeit it was apropos of initially resolved concerns. Simply, it was circumlocution, not to disparage the verbiage en masse.

Of course, one can tell from a glance that you speak eloquently and it is only felicitous if I compose an erudite response. I implore for you not to ridicule me conceding that my humble self stumble around these words and spew an incoherent response, for I not claim nor aspire to be a word maven.
For my rejoinder to your trivial enquiry, or to be more accurate, question of confirmation on what is this thread of, the concise reply is yes.

Now, you may read this segment should you require me to elucidate my answer (since I sincerely doubt you'll be satisfied with such a laconic disclosure). What this is, positing you've read the initial post in its entirety, and I mean peruse, not skim, then it is inferential that you've ought to have already understood the content of which lies presently. We not claim to be authoritative figures on such matters when one arduously attempts to resolve another individual's difficulties, so clear your suspicions about anyone's doing this for the sake of pretension (although, thus far, most have answered in a jocular and blithe fashion without sincerely attempting to resolve whatever affair they've replied to, so I demur it is such, nevertheless)

This thread's role is to be the host for anyone who may have an issue, diminutive or not, to post so that others whom are eager may assist towards the resolution of the issue. Individuals that post may possess sincere will to bequeath succor (pun intended should one perceive it) to whomever bear a plight.

Now, despite my vain attempts to simply reasserting your doubts in question, I've conveyed the impression as being loquacious for which I apologize for due to it being unintended, but that is another matter entirely.
Logophile out.

Sincerely,
Riptizoid101

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Dear Community,

How to get and win at case interviews w/ MBB?

Thx.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Dear Community,

How to get and win at case interviews w/ MBB?

Thx.

Dear Unsigned,

First of all, best of luck with any and all future employment endeavors. As a mere space bull fighter, I can only give you so much advice. I'm going to assume that you are referring to consulting companies, and not Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm, a former West German aircraft company.

When fighting space bulls, it is important to realize that are moments in which you must wait for the bull to charge, and moments when you must charge the bull. True talent in space bullfighting comes from having enough wisdom to be able to tell the difference.

When presented with a case, you must know when it is okay to take the time to think, and when you must impress your interviewer with your speed and decisiveness. You need to be able to turn the tables on the interviewer by asking thoughtful clarifying questions. You will probably not be given sufficient information initially.

Another thing I learned from bullfighting is that it is crucial to make sure that your sword has been well honed prior to combat. You will most likely have to call ahead to find out whether or not you can bring a sword to the interview.

Sincerely,
Aknerd

Also:

Dear Anonymousse and Riptizoid101

Well done.

Best,
Aknerd
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Dear peoples,

Dont encourage blk2860!
You dont need any camera! If something will enter your house you will hear it. Besidw, modern civilization propebly killed everything in the woods already.
Oh oops i spik luq dis, mi tu forgt.
Jst dunt fink un it. U wll bi fin. U livd der fur a wil ddnt u?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Dont encourage blk2860!
You dont need any camera!

How else will he know for sure that it's there, without being the crazy "I done seen it with me own eyes" person?

If something will enter your house you will hear it.

Not if it teleports.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Dear Community,

This one is a simple problem.

How do you tell someone they are an idiot? Or wrong? Or that they messed up?

Sincerely,
Aknerd

[quote]If something will enter your house you will hear it.

Not if it teleports.[/quote]

Don't forget, it could already be in his house. Like, crawling around on the ceiling with its head turned the wrong way. And even though its really really big, you can't ever actually see it because its somehow just always in the corner of your eye. Watching you- and waiting.

All the best,
Aknerd
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Dear aknerd,

Very carefully. Start by sincerely saying a bunch of positive things that they did. Make them feel good before you slap them in the face. Don't just say that they messed up, but give examples of how to improve.

-Emp

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Dear Community,
I am a cross country runner for a high school team. Last year, all of the seniors graduated, therefore shoving the role of leadership onto the new varsity team (including me). How does one be a good leader to his friends, and total strangers? A new load of freshman students are coming onto the team, and I want to make them have a good time, but also get some work done so that we can go to the State Meet this year.
Any tips?
Sincerely,
Erabor

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Dear erabor "roadrunner"

Leadership mean Enterprise and being under control.

If you want things run, the best way is to make the group unit -
Ill advice a Barbeque or something everg once and a while. Let them unit. When you are the head (or the seniors in general). Let them understand then when you say "we practice at 8:00" they better be there.
But again, dont try to bribe them or order them. Let it come from them. A reward- sure. But not a "if you will come we will go to the pool next time!".

Also, find the more serious of the juniors and make him a "luitenet". He will tell the others on times of practice and stuff. This way you will have there soppurt.

And remmember - they are new. They are a little emmbaraced and worried, even if they dont show it. You will be there elder brother for a huge part of this period. Help them and let then think you are one. Help them with there troubles (bit dont get too much insolved), give tips and so on.

Im sure you can do it.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Aknerd, can you pleasd open a new thread on your problme? We quite flood this thread...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Dear Erabor,

I would recommend you just do what you're supposed to do and others will follow. I would assume your coach knows what he's doing, so you should leave the leading to him or her. If someone's doing something wrong, show them how to do it right. If someone needs help, help them. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

-Sal

Showing 16-30 of 43