ForumsThe TavernDear Community

43 11700
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Dear Community,

Have you ever thought about how much better your life would be if you had no problems? Well, I have the perfect solution to problems: Answers! And, I know just the place to get answers from: All you guys. The community.

That's right; we're gonna crowd source your life. There's gonna be synergy out the patootie. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet of solutions with an open bar. But don't get too excited, you can't just dive in and start on the cake before even trying the roast beef. That'd just be chaos- and we can't have that.

So here is how it works. Anyone can ask a question. Ideally the question should be about a life problem or scenario. No, it doesn't have to be a real problem, just make it interesting. Then, anyone can give advice in regards to the problem*. More than one person can answer the same problem. You can ask a new question even if the first has not been solved yet.

Okay, so it might be a bit crazy. That's okay, as long as you mind your freakin manners. It doesn't matter how fast you're shoving chicken dumplings into your food hole as long as your napkin is nicely folded on your lap. Similarly, all posts should be made using proper letter etiquette. What is proper etiquette? Were you raised by wolves? Sheesh.

And with that, I leave you to it!

Sincerely,
Aknerd

P.S. Yes, I remember I did something very similar to this before, and it got locked (for reasons I still don't agree with), but seeing that this is far more discussion orientated than that other thread, I hope it won't be a problem.

*No, the advice doesn't have to be "good" or "serious". If you are not going to give serious advice, however, please don't just spurt out random spam. Be creative. Just... put some thought into it. That's all I ask.

**If you still don't understand what this thread is, it is basically "Dear Abby", except you are both Abby and the readers, and so is everyone else.

• 43 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Dear Erabor,

Do what Sal said. Do your best and be a good example. If you can, set up some extra meetings or a chatroom or something to get to know the team better. Connect with them and share your experiences.

-Emp

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

If you want things run, the best way is to make the group unit -
Ill advice a Barbeque or something everg once and a while. Let them unit. When you are the head (or the seniors in general). Let them understand then when you say "we practice at 8:00" they better be there.
But again, dont try to bribe them or order them. Let it come from them. A reward- sure. But not a "if you will come we will go to the pool next time!".
Also, find the more serious of the juniors and make him a "luitenet". He will tell the others on times of practice and stuff. This way you will have there soppurt.
And remmember - they are new. They are a little emmbaraced and worried, even if they dont show it. You will be there elder brother for a huge part of this period. Help them and let then think you are one. Help them with there troubles (bit dont get too much insolved), give tips and so on.
Im sure you can do it.

I would recommend you just do what you're supposed to do and others will follow. I would assume your coach knows what he's doing, so you should leave the leading to him or her. If someone's doing something wrong, show them how to do it right. If someone needs help, help them. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

Do what Sal said. Do your best and be a good example. If you can, set up some extra meetings or a chatroom or something to get to know the team better. Connect with them and share your experiences.

Dear Emp and Sal and Danielo,
Thanks for the advice, I will use it. I don't think I ever introduced myself, so, hello! I am Erabor, the high school, retrogaming, roleplaying, piano-playing runner from the mitten! (Michigan if you didn't catch that) Have a good day!
-Erabor
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Dear Erabor,

And a good day to you, too! =)

Signed,
Riptizoid101

----

Dear Community,

Short and sweet, I'm lazy.

I'm a procrastinator by heart, and I always will be. My problem is that I actually need to do some work but I always manage to push it to the next day.

I need to get out of the habit of this period of laziness. Also, it's not that I don't have any energy, because when something interests me, I can immediately get up to do it. I suppose it's a psychological thing.

Anyways, how can I cure this laziness/and or get rid of it?

Sincerely,
Riptizoid101

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Dear Erabor,

Assert yourself as Alpha Male. Too many times have I seen someone that could be a good leader squander the opportunity because he wanted to be friendly..and this all resulted in mass chaos over dominance order..with some of the Frosh thinking they were running the show. Horrible times. Horrible times indeed.

Sincerely,
Ja Skiden

-----

Dear Let it Rip,

Force yourself to do the work. Set reminders on your phone..multiple reminders..write down what you have to do in a planner to keep it in your head...the moment you get home start doing the work. Ignore the computer and just begin working.

The only one that can really help..in the grand scheme of this..is yourself. You need to push yourself over the hump..and get the ball rolling yourself.

Sincerely,
pangtonghu

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Dear Rip,

Just restrict yourself from stuff until you've finished something. Like "no food or water or sleep until it's done, even though it's not due for a month". Or be your own slave-driver and physically injure yourself whenever you're not doing work. Either you'll become a hard worker, or a masochist. I guess there's a benefit either way.

-Emp

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Dear Riptizoid101,

Procrastination is a problem for everyone who has something they need to do and access to the internet. My strategy? Fight fire with fire. Procrastinate procrastinating. Tell yourself "Sure I'll get around to browsing imgur for 5 hours, right after I finish writing this page." And then when you finish that page, tell yourself "Okay, just ONE MORE page on this essay, and THEN I'll go watch youtube videos of cats."

And so on. Crazy? Crazy like a fox.

Sincerely,
Aknerd

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

My Dearest Community,

At this very moment, I am passing time in an airport. After finding a nice spot by a window and power outlet, I have noticed that the scenery is rather tarnished by the shockingly large pile of nail clippings right next to me. This is a true story. It occurs to me that people are disgusting and terrible. It also occurs to me that at some point, someone would have to have sat in my current seat and just straight up clipped their nails, like in the middle of the airport.

If I had seen someone do that, I do not believe I would have done or said anything. I would have just let it happen, because I am very much a confrontation averse person. But, doesn't that make me part of the problem? In a way, these clippings belong to everyone who did nothing to stop the clippage. Each little crescent of human tissue is like a scab on our collective dignity. Good gravy that might one of the worst things I ever wrote.

Anyway.

So I ask you, community, what should one do if they see another member of our species committing some sort of public hygiene no-no? Should one interfere at the potential embarrassment of the perpetrator?

Forever yours,
Aknerd

PS:I think this person had a vitamin deficiency or something.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Dear aknerd,

What you say about people being disgusting and terrible is for the most part true, and confronting someone about an issue such as this one would not be productive for either party. You could go up to this person, shout in their face at the top of your lungs and insult their hygiene habits to the fullest extent of the law, but at the very most, they'd just get up and clip their toenails somewhere else. What you perceive to be the problem is only the surface of the real issue. You think you're displeased with their hygiene habits, when in actuality, you're peeved at their blatant disregard for their surroundings. This is not something you'll be able to change in a person, especially in the case of a complete stranger. You may think you're part of the problem if you aren't part of the solution, but that isn't true at all, since there is no real solution to a problem if the individual with the problem doesn't recognize said problem as a problem.

If you see someone doing something like this, approaching them about it would be a wasted effort. Keep in mind, they're already clipping their nails in public. They don't care what you or anyone else thinks, and your opinion is not going to dissuade them from doing what they choose to do.

So it seems you took the right course of action in not taking any course of action.

Obviously,
Terry

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Deat akner,

Just do what i do - dont go out.

Danielo

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Dear community,

I was looking through old pictures of myself and I found one of when I was 16. In this picture, I had a small chin beard and a soft but very visible mustache.

Fast forward, January 2013: I'm playing the role of a farmer in Oklahoma! and I'm asked to grow out my facial hair. I already had a three-inch beard on my chin, so it wasn't really a stretch on that part of my face. However, I was also informed to grow out my mustache area, which I was fine with because I hadn't had one in a while and I wanted to see what it would look like with my hair at the time (I had long hair at the time which I wore in a ponytail). I didn't shave for a few weeks and eventually everything else on my face started to grow out. Everything except the mustache.

This was a baffling discovery, and to this day, I have not been able to grow the mustache I could two years ago. Some of the hairs follicles in that area have gone blond, and they don't seem to be growing with the brown ones, which grow at a normal pace but are not spread out evenly. This wouldn't be so strange to me, except as I've stated before, I could grow a convincing mustache just two years ago, but now it just doesn't happen. I've tried since then to bring the stache back, but it is to no avail. I am currently incapable of growing a mustache.

So I ask you, community. Why was I able to grow a mustache two years ago, when I could barely even grow a beard, but not now?

Inquiringly,
Terry

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Dear Terry,

First off, I apologize for nobody in the community for answering your dear letter, so I'll take it upon myself to take a few moments to write something out (although it's going to be unhelpful due to the fact that I'm not an expert on this subject).

Growing facial hair is the embodiment, the epitome of "manliness". A good length of beard can make the difference between a role model of many and a scrawny push over wimp. Where was I? Oh right, your problem. What I'm baffled at is that why are some of your hair follicles blond? Have you dyed/bleached them? Or if you do not mean blond, then are they really grey and just signs of aging?

Maybe the reason why you're unable to produce a fine piece of mustache is because you're slowly losing the amount of manliness you once had when you were 16. Perhaps you don't participate in activities that test out your raw strength or ability to hold down alcohol, or if you do, you win many few of them.

I kid, I kid. On a serious note, perhaps it's hormone imbalance, or something to do with your blond follicles. While I can't diagnose you with something, I can recommend that there are many treatments that stimulate hair growth (some of them are just scams, though) and that you can try some of them to stimulate growth on facial hair, if you so desire it.

Personally, I've never had problems with generating facial hair, so I can't sympathize with your situation. But hey, it makes shaving a whole lot less tedious, right?

Sincerely,
Riptizoid101

================================

Dear Community,

What's wrong?

Don't be shy, everybody, this thread is for all to post their problems! Don't you people lie to me and say, "I don't have any problems right now"! Liars! Everybody has a trivial problem in everyday life that can always use a good piece of advice to resolve! Hell, it doesn't even have to be serious!

Don't let another good thread like this die because you're holding back! Release all of that tension, speak about your problems, and get answers. I promise you that you won't regret it!

Anyways, don't let this thread die!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Riptizoid101

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Dear Riptizoid,

I think the community was quite confused by the question of Tery the groove lord.

We all have problmes.

Danielo

here! I have one already!

Dear community,

As im sure some of you may know, im a solider.
In my squad there are serval other peoples, which im very friend with and all.
But there are one, that even as he obe of my better friends here, is... welll. Quite a douch. He is not afraid to screw me over to get what he want (not directly and im sure he dosent mean it, in the way of "But Daniel is doing it too!" "If Daniel will cancle is vication that he got as a gift for his hard work then i could go to this organized trip of the regiment...&quot.

I realy dont know what to do. He his a great guy and a good friend, and he dosnt realy understand what he is doing i belive.

What can i do?

Thanks,
Danielo.

PS. Riptizoid, this thread was a great idea! I say you need to get a medal or something...

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Anyone?

Showing 31-43 of 43