ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] Dino Storm not loading up

12 25821
ArmorRay
ArmorRay
8 posts
Shepherd

Whenever I'm trying to play Dino Storm, all I get is a blank white screen. Even when I refresh the page, the white screen is still there. I think the game is not loading. Anyone know what the problem is?

--ArmorRay

• 12 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

I've tested the game, it seems to be working. It uses Javascript though, so maybe your system is blocking Javascript? You can try another browser, this will sometimes help as well.

ArmorRay
ArmorRay
8 posts
Shepherd

I have been trying Internet Explorer, instead of Google Chrome, to play Dino Storm, but it's still not working. I was wondering, how can a computer system block Javascript?

--ArmorRay

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

It's hard to tell from a distance, it could be any number of finer settings.

First, make sure you do have JavaScript running, right? Try for instance here: http://www.enable-javascript.com/ . (You might want to control it, making things trickier, see onwards.)

If you're up for installing and trying out yet another browser, you could try out Firefox and see if that works. If it does, fine. If it doesn't, install its NoScript extension. This is meant among other things to block Javascript, and FlashPlayer which depends on it. It follows you can now unblock them for sites/domains of your choice.

DinoStorm is an MMO (massive multiplayer online) game, these are typically hosted on their own servers, so permissions need to apply for those, as well, not just ArmorGames. In the set-up I just described and which I work with, by hovering the mouse over the little NoScript icon now in your browser, I can see DinoStorm calls upon a whole host of third-party sites. I'm not weeding those out for you now, but if in the NoScript menu you get through that icon you click "temporarily allow all this page," the game appears to load alright. You could now toggle all those sites' permissions on and off, to see which you need for the game, and which you don't.

Note: In the final instance, the game wants to install itself as an application. I'm not allowing it, so haven't followed through, and I won't comment on the safety of doing so. I'd assume ArmorGames seeks to work only with bona fide partners, but, use at your own risk as usual, I'd say. I'm sure AG would have it somewhere in their finer print, too, that they can't be held responsible for any such stuff.

If anything, make sure you have a decent and up-to-date (set to be kept automatically updated) virus scanner, malware scanner, and firewall running; a good idea in general anyway (you really shouldn't be surfing the web without them), and then certainly more specifically so for online gamers, you could run up anything on the fly.

Let us know if this worked for you. Cheers. nb Chrome I don't know, and Internet Explorer I've often found just no way to get at some of these settings, or to figure out which ones might need looking at.

ArmorRay
ArmorRay
8 posts
Shepherd

I've been trying Firefox (and its No-Script ad-on), but not even those are working, but that's not all. I have recently tried playing Pirate Galaxy and the same thing happens: I get a blank white screen. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the version of Java that is on my computer. Do you think re-installing Java could work?

--ArmorRay

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Do you think re-installing Java could work?

It's always worth a shot, sure.

I have trouble thinking of other possible solutions right now. Hm.

Note: Java and JavaScript are not the same. I'm never too sure which is which, and explaining the difference is beyond me. But I think it's JavaScript yes, not Java, which these Flash Games will usually call upon. (Although I'm quite sure there are games that require Java.) I would in any case take Ferret's word above for it.

So look at your JavaScript, or rather the plug-ins for it that I think render it in your browser. (Or add-ons or whatever they may be called. JavaScript may then be abbreviated to JS.) I think JS is completely unrelated to Java on your machine.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Thread continued (and issue unresolved still) here, it appears: Dino Storm taking forever to load.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps

[quote=MacII]and Internet Explorer I've often found just no way to get at some of these settings, or to figure out which ones might need looking at.[/quote]

Just to keep my stuff in one place and since I've started using this thread for reference, I touched on what I think infuences these IE settings here.

If any techies/savvy folks in the know can add to or debunk these observations of mine, I'll of course gladly hear it I've been thinking a sticky on these issues would be good, since it gets asked about so often and it is an obvious issue to run into, but I wouldn't presume to know how to write one. I'm too DIY at it, there'd be too many technical details I'd get wrong or would miss. Maybe I could do it together wih some of the mods/admins, they're welcome to contact me about it if they think that's a good idea.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Just a simple measure that I was reminded of by an old thread, obvious enough that it had escaped me before, but it's a good reminder:

FlashPlayer comes (or used to come?)* with a setting to allow/disallow "third-party flash content to store data on your computer," or words to that effect. Disallowing this will cause you issues, I think with all or at least many online flash games, but I reckon again certainly with MMO's, which as said do need third-party access.

So set this to allow, & see if that helps.

* It's not in my current Flash Player Settings Manager, on my machine. However, Flash Player still comes with an online settings manager, as well, which you'll also need to look at. It's on the Macromedia website, probably currently at https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html -- I think that address may sometimes change, and I can't currently check, since am blocking something there which I can't figure out how to unblock in a jiffy, so that manager itself won't load for me. LOL Just do a web search on +flash +manager or so & it should lead you straight there.

Just to keep my stuff in one place again, on this otherwise slowly aging thread. Cheers.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

so that manager itself won't load for me.

Ah, right, I fixed that, and it is in the Global Storage Settings panel, so in Flash Player's online settings manager, currently at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html .

Over & out again (for now )
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Ah, the wonders of it all: To add, to play MMO's, you may sometimes need to allow cookies for the third-party sites involved.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... To continue this fascinating and never-ending saga , some thoughts regarding Java games and firewall rulesets bubbled up here: Pirate Galaxy not loading?

Users struggling with Unity Web Player games meanwhile may want to have a look at these observations: About this downloadable Player needed to play some games.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

& So btw, since DinoStorm is a Java game, as well, and operated by the same folks as Pirate Galaxy, I reckon this may very well finally be the answer to ArmorRay's original question.

Now whether they may be listening still... Someone could give them a ring about it

Showing 1-12 of 12