ForumsWEPRSmoking

58 10736
Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

Do you think that the United States should ban smoking.

Sorry if this is already a topic

I think that smoking should because because it is harmful to the environment and that people could gte killed from i. If you want to be a lifesaver, then you can quit smoking. It is just as simple as that.

• 58 Replies
snowman1474
snowman1474
225 posts
Peasant

"Driving, alcohol, Fast Food, Pizza, sports, sex, medicine, doctors, surgery, tanning, and everything fun puts lives at risk. In fact, hundreds slip, fall, and die in the shower every year. With your philosophy, we should ban showering. So should we ban everything that has killed someone? No. People have something called choice. Once you start eliminating choice, it becomes a slippery slope to oppression."

Well, if all those things release endorphins...what cigerets do... hormones that calm you down, and make you happy, why not do those things insted of killing yourself, and others in the process?... I'll tell you why, America is LAZY thats L.A.Z.Y I mean we have a store called Lazy boy! And In my state(Illinois) we have laws that don't allot smoking in ANY resteraunt, and you have to be 50 feet from the entrance to smoke if you HAVE to. And no, smoking, and non-smoking areas don't work. The smoke still travels... Unless you have an industry size filter/suction thing that sucks all the smoke out and filters it.

Thats what I think

Snowman1474

FishermanJE
FishermanJE
38 posts
Nomad

What a lame post get a life and quit being such a hippie.We don't live in a communist country at least not yet.There are alot more things out there that are more harmful to us and the enviornment and to even suggest banning smoking is ridiculous in case you did not know tobacco was one of the major crops and money makers for this great country almost 300 years ago and actually still is today.I am an ex smoker and drug addict that does not get bothered by other people smoking so quit your whinning and go buy yourself a pack.

yaleslot
yaleslot
158 posts
Nomad

Hey,

NO it should not be banned, I do not smoke , none of my parents..
But people do if they want ,They do with there body what they want

And it harms the environment only a little bit

Yaleslot

Sunfire
Sunfire
74 posts
Nomad

I agree with yaleslot

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

With all the super pressure adults put on you in elementary school on D.A.R.E it could cause it to go either way, smoking and doing drugs because you are so sick and tired of hearing how bad it is without actually trying it, or happy to know what it causes and pity on those who try it.

bottom line ____________________________ <-see i drew one they know what their doing when they start

I'm focusing on the newer generation not the older generation when it was 'cool' to smoke in highschool

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

funny thread.

GreenBlen
GreenBlen
6 posts
Nomad

Excuse me Jeffeysinspiration, but there is no need for spam at all. Please have at least over ten words in your post.

~~~On Topic~~~

I think that smoking is a horrible thing for you. I have learned this because, in my days, I have been a smoker. I eventually learned that what smoking can do for you, absolutely nothing. It causes second-hand smoke which not only kills over 3,000 people every year, but it destroys everybody the smoker is around. It also can cause heart failure, lung cancer, mouth cancer, and potential brain damage. So, my advice to you is, live over the influence, don't smoke, be healthy.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Paternalistic laws do not work. Period.

Awareness if everything.

End of story.

Nightmare_King
Nightmare_King
19 posts
Nomad

That's ridiculous. I've never heard of anyone dying of secondhand smoke. If you don't want it, stay away from it. And lets worry about factories hurting the environment before we worry about tiny little cigarettes.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Er--what Asherlee said.

In response to everyone that says smoking doesn't hurt anyone but the smoker:

The American Lung Association says second-hand smoke KILLS non-smokers. It doesn't say "bothers" or "annoys" is says "causes about 3,000 deaths each year from lung cancer in non-smokers". That is lung cancer alone. Check the link.

As for those who say "If you don't like second hand smoke, don't be around people who smoke," I say, what? Since when can minors (especially) control who they are around? I can't tell my parents to stop smoking or I'll "go somewhere where I am not forced to inhale poisonous gas."

So become aware; you know about the personal dangers of smoking, but look at the dangers of smoking for those people that choose not to smoke.

Driving, alcohol, Fast Food, Pizza, sports, sex, medicine, doctors, surgery, tanning, and everything fun puts lives at risk. In fact, hundreds slip, fall, and die in the shower every year. With your philosophy, we should ban showering. So should we ban everything that has killed someone? No. People have something called choice

Both driving and alcohol are heavily regulated. As for the others, I don't know of ways people who choose not to do those things are hurt or killed, you'll have to explain. And for the falling in the shower: ROTFL. When I see a smoker accidentally die from lung cancer I'll campaign to ban showering.
StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

Eh I don't think that anything is wrong with smoking ciggarettes (or however you spell it). Although there are many people who die from cancer and things caused by ciggarettes I don't think that having one or two every now and then would kill you.

Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

Ban it, it does nothing good for the smoker nor the people around him/her, its addicting habit thats only wastes tons of money and eventually forces to want to quit, of course then its too late. Bottom line-if you wanna cut your life in half buy a pack and get addicted, but please think. I agree bans really need to get enforced.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Why do all those who wish to ban it want many thousands of jobs lost? It makes me wonder if you really want to help people.

Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

Why do all those who wish to ban it want many thousands of jobs lost? It makes me wonder if you really want to help people.

The business is corrupt, people who work their willing produce these drugs knowing exactly how dangerous they are. I would never choose to work for a place like that.
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

The business is corrupt, people who work their willing produce these drugs knowing exactly how dangerous they are. I would never choose to work for a place like that.

The employer might be corrupt, the employer might know how dangerous they are, but why would the average production worker be corrupt or know the dangers? The worker needs money to survive, why should he be punished by having his livelihood taken away?
Showing 16-30 of 58