ForumsWEPRSmoking

58 10734
Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

Do you think that the United States should ban smoking.

Sorry if this is already a topic

I think that smoking should because because it is harmful to the environment and that people could gte killed from i. If you want to be a lifesaver, then you can quit smoking. It is just as simple as that.

• 58 Replies
Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

The employer might be corrupt, the employer might know how dangerous they are, but why would the average production worker be corrupt or know the dangers? The worker needs money to survive, why should he be punished by having his livelihood taken away?

The average person often knows the danger, I agree that the employees shouldn't be accused of anything they are just trying to get by. I'd just pick a different career then making a product that destroys people's health. If the Cigarette company was to go out of business that shouldn't affect the employees though.
Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

By affect the employees I mean their job chances.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

We should just outlaw abunch of things including cigarrettes and then watch at how many people get arrested because they are that obsessed with them.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@Drognar-
1) Without more revenue coming in, the companies can't give their employees severance packages.
2) There is already very high-unemployment, it'll be very hard for people to find new jobs.
3) It'll flood the job market of a specific area, making it next to impossible to find a job; there are many small towns that have one factory that employs 90% of the people, without it, where would all those people work.
4) With all the extra possible new workers available willing to work for peanuts to put food on the table it will cause a pay-cut in many people's jobs not involved in cigarettes, effectively penalizing everyone.

@Star- People don't like paternalistic laws, thats very cruel to punish people over nothing.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

It wasn't a seriouls thing. It was a idea that I wish was alowed. But really cigarettes are not bad unless you have ALOT of them for a LONG time.

I think that if you smoke them and you exercise alot that you won't be such a contestant for cancer.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I dunno bout the US but here in the UK it is illegal to smoke in pubs and bars or any public places indoors now. I think it is a step in the right direction for us tho. My gf used to smoke heavily but now she has given up for that and other reasos so maybye a smoking ban in certain places could be good in the US? It does however sem strange that governments ban things like weed but not tobacco. After all smoking kills way more people per year than many other 'harmful' drugs. It seems a little hypocritical.

@Starscreamer cigarrettes are pretty bad for you even if u smoke for a short amount of time. For example it raises blood pressure and increases the chance of heart disease it also lessens peoples physial fitness. And your second point isnt true. Lung cancer doesnt care if you excercise a lot. By that logic only inactive lazy smokers get lung cancer. That isnt the case. Thee aremany people wo gt lung cancer who have never smoked in their entire life. So that disproves your theory. It doesnt depend on fitness levels if you get cancer but i guess you need a medical expert to confirm this. I think Strop is in the medical field, perhaps he could help?

jay_the_beast
jay_the_beast
47 posts
Nomad

I think it should be banned because it is killing so many people and it hurts other people to (second-hand smoke) However, since the government makes billions of dollars from cigarettes this is likely to never happen.

zinjul
zinjul
48 posts
Nomad

If people want to slowly damage their body fine. Only thing I hate about smoking is the smell when your next to someone smoking.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I think it should be banned because it is killing so many people and it hurts other people to (second-hand smoke) However, since the government makes billions of dollars from cigarettes this is likely to never happen.

I don't think it needs to be banned. Like you said, it is a booming industry. And if we ban tobacco, where do we draw the line? Do we then ban alcohol? Guns?

I don't like smoking, I think it is disgusting. But if someone wants to slowly kill their body through tobacco, that is not my business. As long as they don't do it around me.
gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

I do know that many states in the U.S. have banned smoking in restaurants. It is a start.

morbid_giggle
morbid_giggle
137 posts
Nomad

In the UK smoking is banned in all public buildings.
Which i think is great...except now walking past a bar or a restaurant or something means walking through a crowd of smokers and a giant smoke cloud.
I think a better solution would have been to have completely seperate smoking areas indoors (like a seperate room in a bar)

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

smoking is disgusting, but as long as you stay clear from smokers you wont get second hand smoke. if they want to kill them selves it has nothing to do with me. they know the risks but still smoke. it should not be banned. if we ban cigarettes, then we have to ban alcohol, guns, and knives. next thing you know we will be cutting tomatoes with our teeth.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I don't like smoking, I think it is disgusting. But if someone wants to slowly kill their body through tobacco, that is not my business. As long as they don't do it around me.

smoking is disgusting, but as long as you stay clear from smokers you wont get second hand smoke

Lots of people say they dont like soking but its someones right to do it or not and that if u dont like it stay clear of smokers. But lots of people cant. If u go 2 any bar or club u can get it, if u r at a party u can get it. Even worse people say you have a choce to stay away from those places but people forget kids whose parents smoke at home and so get lung cancer when they are older so some people actually dont have a choice in the matter.
ricki24
ricki24
4 posts
Nomad

I personally hate it to see little kids have to deal with their parents' smoking all the time. My father's parents smoked their whole lives, and his fahter died from the effects of it. Luckily, his mother rescently quit. I also can't stand it when you walk out of a restaraunt or store and people are smoking RIGHT where you have to walk through. Smoking causes serious health risks, and the only way to not be effected by those risks, are to not smoke. If people wanna smoke and endanger their health, it's up to them, but PLEASE do not expose others to it.

azngamerboi2
azngamerboi2
5 posts
Nomad

i think smoking should be banned because thousands of people die from it every day

Showing 31-45 of 58