ForumsWEPRSmoking

58 10739
Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

Do you think that the United States should ban smoking.

Sorry if this is already a topic

I think that smoking should because because it is harmful to the environment and that people could gte killed from i. If you want to be a lifesaver, then you can quit smoking. It is just as simple as that.

• 58 Replies
Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

Yes, I have started to develop asthma which is bad in my case because I play football, soccer, baseball, Basketball, track, and swimming

jeffwak906
jeffwak906
237 posts
Shepherd

Well, this is going to be from an economical standpoint. But this is my opinion right here - I completely think everyone in the world should stop smoking and it should not be allowed everywhere! But back to my original topic - If we ban smoking everywhere, it will more than likely ruin the economy of the world. I mean, so many people buy cigarettes that it is a lottery pretty much for the government. If we ban smoking everywhere, people can't smoke anymore and the smoking products will be removed, thus killing our economy. That's the only problem we face to stop smoking.

I want to see people stop smoking personally because it could kill them in fifteen or twenty years. I don't have anyone in my family or relatives who smokes, and I sure won't!

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

personally i think they should but also give like 3 a day to people who r really addicted and need them

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

So we should ban smoking because people die from it?

Here's more great ideas! Let's ban alcohol, because people can die from it. Cars should be destroyed as well because they kill hundreds of thousands a year. Plane crashes kill thousands a year. Cell phones may cause brain cancer, so they are gone. Anyone with AIDS should be executed, because they can give it to others. McDonalds makes people fat, which can lead to heart disease, so let's shut them down. Many people overdose on pills to commit suicide, so lets ban medicine. I was almost killed at a beach from a large wave, so swimming has to go as well. People die during sporting events... a baseball to the skull will do it... so let's ban all sports. Too much exposure to the sun can give skin cancer, so we must build a permanent shield around the world to stop all exposure from the sun.

Because... anything that can cause death MUST be banned. The government HAS to protect us from EVERYTHING. People should not be able to choose what to do, because we are stupid. The government knows what's right for us.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, THAT is the kind of thing that infuriates me. And that doesn't happen very often. So the rant will begin.

The logic behind "If you think we should ban cigarettes because they cause death, it follows we should ban x," is the kind of logic that causes my mind to implode. Thankfully I recently bought some anti-implosion software and downloaded in into my brain.

The argument that smoking kills people so it should be banned is silly, but not without some merit. You need to take a look at what is behind the argument and who it is talking about. It is something that needs to be considered.

People Who Die From Smoking
A) Smokers.
-Response: Justifiable, as they CHOOSE to smoke knowing the dangers.
B) Non-Smokers:
-Response: They choose NOT to put their health at risk, but they still die.

"Oh, but Eyes, if non-smokers would just be smarter and avoid smokers, then it wouldn't be a problem."

Yes, theoretically an adult would have the means to do this. They can avoid public places that have smokers, avoid people who smoke in general, and not allow smoking in their home. It wouldn't be too hard to avoid the obvious "smokey areas".

Now think about someone who can't avoid smokey areas. Let's use me as an example. I am 15 years old. My mother did not smoke while I was in her womb, but as soon as I was born she began smoking. For the past 15 years I have been subjected to my parents' (both mother and father) second hand smoke. I would guess that between them they smoke (at home) a pack a day. That is one pack per day for 15 years (eventually 18) of second hand smoke. Tell me, is it MY responsiblity to avoid my parents and my home? What protection have I been provided? Sure, my parents should know better, but there is (currently) no legal standing for anyone to say "Don't smoke around your child".

So, please, don't devalue the lives of those who aren't protected from smokers. From alcohol, to cars, to sports, there are rules in place to protect the innocent. No, they don't always work, but they are there. What rules are in place to protect the 15 year old kid with parents who smoke?

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Completely banning all smoking together probably wouldn't work. Look at what happened when they banned alcohol. People rioted and were even worse then when they were drunk. I hate seeing people die from second-hand smoke because they did nothing to deserve that. If your parents smoked while you were a child, there was nothing you could do to stop it.

My suggestion is that they ban smoking in public. Smoke all you want in your house and on your property but not anywhere else. I hate going to a restaurant and having to say non-smoking. Also, most restaurants, the non-smoking area isn't even safe from the smoking area.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I totally agree that smoking should be banned at restaurants. But banning it in bars is absurd. And people should have the choice to smoke or not. Yes, it's bad for you... but it's all about choice. Once you eliminate choice, it's a slippery slope to oppression.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

But banning it in bars is absurd.

Good point considering even the people that don't smoke are getting drunk.
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Just don't smoke, end of story. I am a surviver. I had to get my lung removed because I smoked so much, now I have quit. Live above the influence, don't smoke.

sushihair
sushihair
153 posts
Nomad

Anyone who smokes has a hollow and nameless life that will never amount to anything,ever.(Not Pegasus,since he quit.Congratz,by the way.)

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Thank you. And yes, I was force to smoke because of my father. He smoked so much that every time I was around him, I felt like smoking. All people who smoke are just killing themselves with drugs.

Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

@Sushihair
Just because someone choose to do something to their body they will never amount to anything and have a meaningless existence? That, my good sir, is poppycock! I have seen many a successful person that smokes and do they have a life that doesn't amount to anything? No! I myself smoke and I have a meaningful existence and my life does amount to something.

And back to the topic!
I think it's up to the restaurant owners to ban smoking in their business and the same with bars, but an outright ban is ridiculous. And the second hand smoke? If you don't like it get away from it. And sure, you're probably thinking 'But the children can't have a say in it!' but if you know that it's bad for you, can't you kindly ask your parents not to smoke in the car or in the house while you're around? The answer is yes, you can. But I don't get is why teenagers are complaining about their parents smoking around them when they have the power to voice their wants to their parents. And I know second-hand smoke does do damage and if people don't like me smoking around them I just leave and let them have their peace, if I do that why can't you do the same?

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Because children shouldn't HAVE to do that. And no, I can't ask my parents not to smoke. I've tried. My earliest attempt at getting them to stop smoking was when I was about 10 years old. I decided that my gift to my mother on her birthday would be to hide her cigarettes. SPOILER: It didn't work. Since then I've tried to help them stop, and they've put forth some effort, but they are still smokers.

So why are you putting the responsibility on minors? Is that how the world should work? Is everyone over 18 going to start doing whatever they please, regardless of the consequences, and it is up to those of us who aren't even allowed to vote to pick up after them? I don't think so.

And even if, by some miraculous stretch of the imagination, a teenager is responsible for their parents addictions, are the younger kids, infants even, just "collateral damage" or something?

Showing 46-58 of 58