ForumsWEPRWhy are People nowadays so corrupted?

34 18184
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

I wonder why People are so corrupted nowadays ,why not just share or use the barter system like back then?

• 34 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Before asking why that is so, I would like you to convince me of the veracity of the statement &quoteople are more corrupt nowadays".

Personally, I would argue that our current society is just as corrupt, if not even less, that some ancient historical societies. In my opinion modern standards about corruption are more pronounced, partly due to globalisation.

Note: I agree that corruption is a problem and still widespread on different levels and different countries. All I'm saying is that I don't think previous societies to be so much better.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

People today aren't any more corrupt than they were in ages before. Reading any history book makes that very clear. As for the barter system, what does that even have to do with corruption?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

why not just share

Because resources are limited and people want to use them for different things to meet different goals.

or use the barter system like back then?

Do you really want to buy a computer with pigs that you don't have? Every time you want to buy something, you'd need to negotiate on what to buy it with, and it's always on the seller's terms. If the seller received too much of an item, like corn, he won't accept any more corn payments. If that's all you have, even if you have tons, you're screwed and can't buy that product or use that service. Apply this to medicine. If you don't have chickens, too bad, you die.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

, I would like you to convince me of the veracity of the statement &quoteople are more corrupt nowadays".

I think he's just making the common mistake a lot of people make of observing unsettling things in society and assuming it means we as a people have become more corrupt. Yes, there are some shady things going on right now but that's been the case for as long as organized society has existed.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I wonder why People are so corrupted nowadays ,why not just share or use the barter system like back then?

Money is a Type-1 (Global) bartering system. You're still bartering, but with money.

Society, especially the economic society was much more corrupt back then. It had to take government regulation to state "no, you can't sell rotten foods stricken with disease or placebo tonics as the cures to cancer".

Ironically, the government back then was riddled with "hey, I'll give you a job if you place a vote for me.", but only if you were a white male Christian.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

he common mistake a lot of people make

So redundant I actually just died.

Ironically, the government back then was riddled with "hey, I'll give you a job if you place a vote for me.", but only if you were a white male Christian.

True but not 100% corruption; partly a lack of progressive thinking in general.
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

Guys read the history of pakistan from when it was made then youll know what i mean and currently the president we have isnt one of the brightest either xD

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

Mbbs, that's a rhetorical question. Corruption has been around since humans first began to develop advanced civilizations. I wouldn't be surprised if chieftains were making shady deals with other tribes and selling people out for personal gain.

Corruption is simply too vast of a problem to control, and very unpredictable. You aren't born, destined to set up a front for some illegal business or the likes, it's a matter of circumstance, DNA, and situation.

And as others have said, bartering is simply too unreliable as long as the purchase is made on the supplier's terms. At least if you have the money for something, you can be mostly assured you'll get it. But what if you desperately need some life saving medicine from the local pharmacist, but he demands an ivory made kazoo and, oh no, you don't have one lying around? (Okay, that was too bizarre of an example. The principle still applies, however.)

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

Barter. Works well, don't it?
Pig farmer has meat, wants bread. Another guy has bread, wants milk. Dairy farmer has milk, wants meat. They all get what they want. Enter the city. Corn farmer has corn, wants a plough. The shoemaker wants corn, the tailor wants sausages, the butcher wants shoes, the blacksmith wants bread, the wheat farmer...
But wait! "I don't want corn," says the baker. "Besides, I haven't any wheat!"
"But the wheat farmer wants an ivory kazoo!"
"Tough!"
"But... how will I pay the blacksmith?"
"Your problem, buddy."
Enter money.
"Hey baker! I don't need your bread, I've paid the blacksmith with money!"
"That's okay! I bought the wheat from this farmer who was busy playing a kazoo made of ivory!"
So really, money makes things a lot simpler. It's an inevitable development. With cities comes money.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Barter Economies are quite wasteful. The "double coincidence of wants", which is implied by a barter economy involves a considerable cost of valuable resources (commodities and time), hence money emerges out of the attempt to save on these resources.

Anyway, I obviously don't agree with the statement that money is the source of all corruption and that barter economies somehow function better.

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Curroption is a natural thing. Who dont want to help his friends and family, or take care for themselve?

The government workers work with HUGE amounts of money. Most of them get much much much less money then that. Its tempting. It start with small things, like a gift of a bottle of scotch or 2 tickets for a concert. Then it grow bigger and bigger.

metalplastic
metalplastic
191 posts
Nomad

Oh, corruption about money? If it's about that then it's because of the insatiable hunger for "more" I guess. Where "more" can be almost anything that money can buy.
I myself am not corrupted for money (if that's a right term) but I'm corrupted for something else...

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

the only treatment is discipline and responsibility, 'Cuz great power comes great responsibility.

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Oh no you didnt!

Isnt there a rule against using that cliche in the forums?

But i guese its true.

Like the romans didnt did the same. Or the feudal lords. Oor anyone else in any other period.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Isnt there a rule against using that cliche in the forums?

not sure
Showing 1-15 of 34